FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Last Minute Aust Visa: UK-AU will Cathay let me travel? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1986115-last-minute-aust-visa-uk-au-will-cathay-let-me-travel.html)

flyer200 Sep 6, 2019 12:32 am

Last Minute Aust Visa: UK-AU will Cathay let me travel?

I have travelled UK to AU many times as a British citizen

Unfortunately I overlooked my visitors visa expired last month.

This morning I fly LGW-HKG-SYD

I have applied for my new visa which the website says can take up to a day.

My boarding pass has not been issued, it says collect at airport.

Will Cathay allow me to board LGW-HKG if the visa application is still pending?

DragonSoul Sep 6, 2019 12:46 am

What kind of visa did you apply for? The eVisa only takes a few minutes, especially if you've applied before.

flyer200 Sep 6, 2019 12:57 am

evisitor subclass 651

MSPeconomist Sep 6, 2019 1:07 am

Originally Posted by flyer200 (Post 31495991)
evisitor subclass 651

What does that mean? Is it a regular short visit for tourism, business, conference, etc.?

flyer200 Sep 6, 2019 1:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31496005)
What does that mean? Is it a regular short visit for tourism, business, conference, etc.?

yes exactly, I'm there for one week for business

Mwenenzi Sep 6, 2019 1:50 am

Originally Posted by flyer200 (Post 31495922)
I have travelled UK to AU many times as a British citizen
Unfortunately I overlooked my visitors visa expired last month.
This morning I fly LGW-HKG-SYD
I have applied for my new visa which the website says can take up to a day.
My boarding pass has not been issued, it says collect at airport.
Will Cathay allow me to board LGW-HKG if the visa application is still pending?

Post 1 is time stamped 16:32 Friday 6th Sep here in Australia (east coast)
Not much happens with the Government bureaucracy late on a Friday afternoon.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...g/evisitor-651

Please let us know how it works out.

Edit
Au Government web site link for the common esta --> Australian Electronic Travel Authority AUD$20. For passports holders from Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and United States. With a UK passport is different a visa

CrazyJ82 Sep 6, 2019 1:55 am

In general, carriers won't allow you to board your first flight in the itinerary unless they're certain you've got the visa you need for your final destination. Which makes intuitive sense - they don't want pax getting stranded mid-stream if the visa didn't process while you're in the air. Let us know how you get on though. In the best case your AU visa will process quickly, but if you do succeed in sweet-talking CX into carrying you to HKG without it that would be an interesting data point.

flyer200 Sep 6, 2019 1:56 am

It's an automated process, I have applied for a tourist visa using my second passport and this came through automatically.

I feel there was some sort of delay because I put travel reason as Business

Thankyopu everyone for super fast responses.

Mwenenzi Sep 6, 2019 1:59 am

So you have applied twice, for different visa types, with different (UK?) passports?

MSPeconomist Sep 6, 2019 2:00 am

Originally Posted by flyer200 (Post 31496100)
It's an automated process, I have applied for a tourist visa using my second passport and this came through automatically.

I feel there was some sort of delay because I put travel reason as Business

Thankyopu everyone for super fast responses.

Aren't you worried that you could be denied entry if you first said business and yet have a tourist visa? CX agents probably wouldn't see this, but the computers of immigration officials might connect the name/birthdate, etc.

Mwenenzi Sep 6, 2019 2:04 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31496109)
Aren't you worried that you could be denied entry if you first said business and yet have a tourist visa?

Many people now enter Australia via auto e-gate kiosks and do not talk to an immigration official.
The two applications may cause the e-gate kiosk to beep. But if 2 passports, the computer may not link them.
Will be interesting as to what happens

percysmith Sep 6, 2019 2:22 am

1. CX will need to see evisa to Aus
2. You can try to request short check to HK. But you need onward ticket (Timatic), and an onward tix to a country you're not legit to enter may not necessarily be accepted as valid onward ticket.

percysmith Sep 6, 2019 2:23 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31496109)
Aren't you worried that you could be denied entry if you first said business and yet have a tourist visa? CX agents probably wouldn't see this, but the computers of immigration officials might connect the name/birthdate, etc.

evisitors are valid for both business or pleasure.

MSPeconomist Sep 6, 2019 2:25 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 31496148)
evisitors are valid for both business or pleasure.

This is subclass 651, whatever that means.....or at least the first visa application was.

flyer200 Sep 6, 2019 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31496107)
So you have applied twice, for different visa types, with different (UK?) passports?

no. It’s the same visa on different passports