Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changing fare class to be eligible for upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

I have some Asia Miles that I would like to use to upgrade from Premium Economy --> Business class on a long haul flight coming up. On the way there, the flight I'm looking at has an R class ticket (eligible for upgrade), but the way back is E class (not eligible). Is there a way to pay the premium to get an R class fare, or do I have to book a different flight entirely?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InfiniteJets
I have some Asia Miles that I would like to use to upgrade from Premium Economy --> Business class on a long haul flight coming up. On the way there, the flight I'm looking at has an R class ticket (eligible for upgrade), but the way back is E class (not eligible). Is there a way to pay the premium to get an R class fare, or do I have to book a different flight entirely?
Phone CX or your travel agent and ask the price of an upfare E to R.
Upgrades are never guaranteed, so it may be a waste of money
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:01 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I've done this.

But I used KVS Tools to tell me whether or not there's an upgrade available first. When it showed me CS1, I called Marco Polo to see if there was indeed an upgrade available. Sometimes what appears in KVS might no be an upgrade redemption but it could be a full redemption or companion.

Once MP confirmed it was an upgrade redemption, she helped me to change my fare from E to W and then proceeded to issue me the upgrade.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
If you're working with a travel agent with a good relationship with CX, they can phone ahead to inquire about upgrade confirmation before processing the E->R ticket upgrade. If not and you don't have any MPC status you might encounter a long wait. Is your upgrade confirmed on the departing leg?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.