Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific---Will its onerous path lead to bankruptcy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific---Will its onerous path lead to bankruptcy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Is there anything stopping CX selling KA? It's the one most hit by Chinese sentiment, getting rid of it would return the airline to something more like its former shape, which at that time was viable, and it would still have PEK and PVG routes on its own.
KA is a major feeder for CX longhaul flights. Without KA, there would be much less transit traffic.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by brunos
KA is a major feeder for CX longhaul flights. Without KA, there would be much less transit traffic.
CA could theoretically absorb KA, and this wouldn't affect KA's cooperation with CX.

While I don't foresee the above happening, all of us who fly KA between HK and the mainland know that their trunk routes are suffering big time.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
CA could theoretically absorb KA, and this wouldn't affect KA's cooperation with CX.

While I don't foresee the above happening, all of us who fly KA between HK and the mainland know that their trunk routes are suffering big time.
Whatever the shareholding links, CA is a CX competitor for longhaul traffic in and, importantly to, China. It will be increasingly so.
KA not only fly to China but also to a lot of Asian destinations.If those flights become "Chinese", I don't see how it would work for CX.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:37 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Now news morning segment cites SCMP (but I can’t which piece Now is referencing in SCMP)

No pay leave

Voluntary, up to one month

First batch KA

Tepid demand, cost control measure

Corresponding to frequency cuts
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith
Now news morning segment cites SCMP (but I can’t which piece Now is referencing in SCMP)

No pay leave

Voluntary, up to one month

First batch KA

Tepid demand, cost control measure

Corresponding to frequency cuts
Cathay Pacific set to offer unpaid leave to staff as Hong Kong protests and boycott by mainland Chinese customers take toll
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...taff-hong-kong
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like "little and late". But maybe a lot of the best-paid flying staff will be happy to take a long family vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.