Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Politeness

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Politeness

Has anyone noticed (and/or felt weird?) that CX flight attendants will hand you things (hot towels, amenity kits, immigration cards, drinks, whatever) and then they will say "thank you" as you take the items? Is this maybe standard CX procedure, a Hong Kong cultural thing, or simply me hallucinating?

(This isn't by any means a complaint - I, uh, felt like starting a thread, so please yell at me for future reference if this doesn't pass the useful/amusing threshold.)
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
This is a cultural thing for sure.. A lot of HKers do that, myself included.. Its like a way to acknowledge the person for noticing and reciprocating the service performed..
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:01 pm

I wonder if the use of thank you in this case has anything to do with the differences between the two "thank you" words in Cantonese - m-goi and do jiah.
CX HK likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I wonder if the use of thank you in this case has anything to do with the differences between the two "thank you" words in Cantonese - m-goi and do jiah.
No. It's more like HK people felt they should say something to the person receiving the item/favor but are unsure as to what they should say. E.g. in English you can say "Here you go" but from a service perspective there isn't really an equivalent in Cantonese or may come off as rude. A person may also come off as superficial if they say something like "here you go, please enjoy". Hence the "thank you".

The difference between M-goi and do jiah is do jiah is more formal (e.g. if you get a towel/drink from the FA m-goi is more appropriate as a token of thanks for a small task, while do jiah may be more appropriate when you get a birthday card signed by the FAs).
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Chromie25
No. It's more like HK people felt they should say something to the person receiving the item/favor but are unsure as to what they should say. E.g. in English you can say "Here you go" but from a service perspective there isn't really an equivalent in Cantonese or may come off as rude. A person may also come off as superficial if they say something like "here you go, please enjoy". Hence the "thank you".

The difference between M-goi and do jiah is do jiah is more formal (e.g. if you get a towel/drink from the FA m-goi is more appropriate as a token of thanks for a small task, while do jiah may be more appropriate when you get a birthday card signed by the FAs).
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
IME politeness and civility levels in SEAsia generally are much higher than in the U.S.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Croferm wrote:
"Has anyone noticed (and/or felt weird?) that CX flight attendants will hand you things (hot towels, amenity kits, immigration cards, drinks, whatever) and then they will say "thank you" as you take the items? Is this maybe standard CX procedure, a Hong Kong cultural thing, or simply me hallucinating?

(This isn't by any means a complaint - I, uh, felt like starting a thread, so please yell at me for future reference if this doesn't pass the useful/amusing threshold.)"

This has nothing to do with CX or directly Hong Kong.

Saying 'thank you' in this context is British and its thus not surprising that it is in common use also in Hong Kong.

Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
Croferm wrote:
"Has anyone noticed (and/or felt weird?) that CX flight attendants will hand you things (hot towels, amenity kits, immigration cards, drinks, whatever) and then they will say "thank you" as you take the items? Is this maybe standard CX procedure, a Hong Kong cultural thing, or simply me hallucinating?

(This isn't by any means a complaint - I, uh, felt like starting a thread, so please yell at me for future reference if this doesn't pass the useful/amusing threshold.)"

This has nothing to do with CX or directly Hong Kong.

Saying 'thank you' in this context is British and its thus not surprising that it is in common use also in Hong Kong.

Not sure if this is a British thing coz its just in English or Hong Kong thing but we do say Thank You in Cantonese when you give it out something to the client in service industry.
So I guess its a both
oldchinahand likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium

To clarify M-goi is more like refer to the scene that someone help you / do you a favour then you reply M-goi
Do Jiah is more like that someone give you a gift then you reply Do Jiah
It has nothing to do with the formal thing/ honorific but the action/ context matter.

For example, when your boss help you to carry a bag/ documents, you will still say M-goi but not Do Jiah.
rens, thomas164 and tentseller like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Does anyone have any insights into the training process for CX cabin crew? I've always wondered what it's like... the variety of information they must know is substantial.... everything from how to pair and pour wine correctly to lifesaving skills and emergency management. On top of that, they work in confined spaces for extended hours, are faced with passengers who are often cranky/tired/drunk, and are perpetually jet lagged... I couldn't do it. I just couldn't.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by Rain187
For example, when your boss help you to carry a bag/ documents, you will still say M-goi but not Do Jiah.
If my boss help carry my bag or documents, either he has a huge favor to ask or I'm in deep trouble
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by jysim
If my boss help carry my bag or documents, either he has a huge favor to ask or I'm in deep trouble
why? you're both humans... come on
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

As a native speaker of American English, I would consider "here you go" to be very informal and somewhat rude in this context. To me "here you go" would be appropriate if someone is handing a beer to his buddy at an athletic event, but not by a premium cabin FA or staff in a fine dining restaurant or upscale hotel.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As a native speaker of American English, I would consider "here you go" to be very informal and somewhat rude in this context. To me "here you go" would be appropriate if someone is handing a beer to his buddy at an athletic event, but not by a premium cabin FA or staff in a fine dining restaurant or upscale hotel.
I guess it depends on how it was said. I've been on DL/AA flights where FA would say "here you go" (with a smile) when serving me drinks which I thought it was ok.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
why? you're both humans... come on
It's cultural, although I don't particularly agree with or like this aspect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.