FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   HKG check-in for CX and KA to merge on 1 Sep (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1983725-hkg-check-cx-ka-merge-1-sep.html)

arthurlh Aug 15, 2019 2:23 am

Close of check-in counters in Area H of Hong Kong International Airport

Today, CX announced that check-in for all Cathay Dragon flights will be moved from area H to areas B and C of the check-in hall in Hong Kong International Airport as from 1 September 2019.

Does CX want to further reduce the operation cost? Or it is because T2 of HKIA will be ceased of operation on that day?

ermen Aug 15, 2019 3:05 am

Makes sense to consolidate the KA check in counters with CX

Some said there was a need to separate KA check in to direct KA pax to the Northern Departures to spread out passenger loads

But guess that is not needed now?

garykung Aug 15, 2019 3:05 am

I won't really too much on this.

CX check-in areas are always the far left side on the terminal. So when you have another check-in area at the other end of the terminal, it can create confusion. Consolidating them can actually improve efficiencies.

CX/KA counters at Aisle H should not be even existed at the first place.

Ausriver Aug 15, 2019 5:20 am

Can they maybe join check in together?

christep Aug 15, 2019 7:12 am

I'm guessing that the Airport Authority needs somewhere to put the check-in desks for the airlines currently in T2, and the obvious consolidation is to combine KA & CX.

CXYYZ Aug 15, 2019 7:20 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31418228)
CX/KA counters at Aisle H should not be even existed at the first place.

I agree with the rest of your post but this part is ignoring history. KA was acquired by CX in 2006 so there was no reason to have a consolidated check-in area. Since then, there has probably been some inertia meaning that no one really made this a high priority issue.

brunos Aug 15, 2019 7:53 am

This is an efficient move reducing the confusion when checking in for a codeshare KA/CX.
But CX+KA are, by far the major operators at HKIA. It will increase dramatically the flow to South security/immigration.

Nicc HK Aug 15, 2019 6:36 pm

If I recall correctly, originally CX had Gates 1-4 on the South Side exclusively therefore check-in made sense to be on in the B area to facilitate movement through the south security check, and conversely KA was the big users of the 15-19 Gates on the North Side, so made sense to have KA check-in on the north side of the terminal.

As Brunos says this will inevitably increase congestion on the South Side, not helped by the never ending redevelopment of the food plaza just beyond immigration

Frayed_Yak Aug 16, 2019 2:50 am

I must be the only one who welcomes this development. Can't tell you the number of time I've gone to Area A just to find out I'm actually on a KA flight.

littlevoices Aug 16, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak (Post 31422022)
I must be the only one who welcomes this development. Can't tell you the number of time I've gone to Area A just to find out I'm actually on a KA flight.

Yep it kinda messes with my direct route from the Airport Express to A check-in area to the Wing in as few minutes as possible when I fly with KA, they're the only airline I use my online check-in for to avoid that trek. I'm happy with the move, South gates may be a bit busier but they're normally very quick anyway

Thanks for sharing @arthurlh

chunhim_lai Aug 16, 2019 10:58 am

T1 expansion will be soon finished and T2 will be closed after that.
HKAA needs some extra room since T1 new wing offer 40 counters but T2 has 56 counters

ernestnywang Aug 16, 2019 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Nicc HK (Post 31421145)
If I recall correctly, originally CX had Gates 1-4 on the South Side exclusively therefore check-in made sense to be on in the B area to facilitate movement through the south security check, and conversely KA was the big users of the 15-19 Gates on the North Side, so made sense to have KA check-in on the north side of the terminal.

As Brunos says this will inevitably increase congestion on the South Side, not helped by the never ending redevelopment of the food plaza just beyond immigration

Correct, CX had (or maybe still has) top priority for gates 1-4 and 11 (then 21).

bluetus04 Aug 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by littlevoices (Post 31423197)
Yep it kinda messes with my direct route from the Airport Express to A check-in area to the Wing in as few minutes as possible when I fly with KA, they're the only airline I use my online check-in for to avoid that trek. I'm happy with the move, South gates may be a bit busier but they're normally very quick anyway

I've checked in 2 times in the last year at CX counters for KA flights. First time I completely forgot my flight was KA and went to the CX counters. No question asked and only realized it after the process and wondered why I could do it. Second time, I wanted to try it again and no question asked as well.

So it seems like you can do KA check-in at CX counters.

littlevoices Aug 17, 2019 9:11 am

Originally Posted by bluetus04 (Post 31425078)

If so, perhaps that's new, or I wasn't asking the right question. The only time I tried they redirected me (and this was the First class Cathay check-in area), hence never making that mistake again. Maybe next time I can try just to see what happens. I wonder if it was because I was trying to check-in a bag (so long ago I forget, but maybe...). Cheers for the info @bluetus04

(Two useful points on the thread already, now if only there was a secret phrase to get the CX Wing menu from three years ago...)

lixiaojuventus Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am

Originally Posted by bluetus04 (Post 31425078)
I've checked in 2 times in the last year at CX counters for KA flights. First time I completely forgot my flight was KA and went to the CX counters. No question asked and only realized it after the process and wondered why I could do it. Second time, I wanted to try it again and no question asked as well.

I concur this. Last month I asked the CX desk to print a boarding pass for my KA flight (despite that I've received a mobile BP), and no question was asked.