Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Should we be supporting or leaving CX in these challenging times?

Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

I'm not based in HK, so I don't need non-stop flights from HK to various destinations around the world. I'm a connecting passenger with choices.

I don't want to be supporting an airline that will now essentially be run by the backhands of Mainland China. (business culture, service standards, safety regulations, even ignoring all the politics)

Maybe this is the right time to leave CX -- because it has been going downhill and facing challenges for a long time.

On the other hand, maybe this is when support is needed the most, because I don't want to see HK and its flag carrier collapse. Perhaps its fate is inevitably tied to the city.

Anyone have thoughts?
stevie and IAMORGAN like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
#Support . I'm an outport based connector also.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:31 am

i wouldnt say they are being actively controlled yet (no CCP cell in-house etc)?

likely they will be squeezed with the protests as an excuse so they give up slots that the debt laden mainland carriers can pounce on
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I think it's a good question you pose. I am based in HK, so I'm more tied to CX than you, but I am very unhappy about their comments that they will fire people who take part in protests and about their weak collaboration with the Chinese over this list of people. I feel they should have pushed back. I sent Hogg an email to this effect last week - of course he's now gone. If they continue to collaborate with evil, then we should withdraw support, yes. (And I say that as a shareholder too).
SJOGuy, buschoi, royng and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
I don’t know which is the better of two evils: throw a thread like that to stir divide or to rally support behind an airline that has served its passengers well.
Hogg was an unlucky chap, he had to roll because the CCP were out for heads due to the perception that CX wasn’t a good boy and supported the protests. . It wouldn’t have made a difference had Hogg had been Asian. One just had to look at how cursory the CCP said they were placated after the names of two pilots were turned in.

I personally find this post slanted and racist.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
I don’t know which is the better of two evils: throw a thread like that to stir divide or to rally support behind an airline that has served its passengers well.
Hogg was an unlucky chap, he had to roll because the CCP were out for heads due to the perception that CX wasn’t a good boy and supported the protests. . It wouldn’t have made a difference had Hogg had been Asian. One just had to look at how cursory the CCP said they were placated after the names of two pilots were turned in.

To the OP, that the perceived going downhill has nothing to do with this fiasco

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...bulence-cathay

Last edited by CXFlyerBoy; Aug 17, 2019 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
I think people should understand the reality in Hong Kong. CX does not only run a lot of routes towards the mainland, but a vast majority of west bound flights including those to the EU pass through mainland air space. CX cannot afford to lose any of these, and that’s why it has to “compromise” under enormous pressure.

Therefore, if anyone is in different view than the mastermind behind all these “pressure”, he should really support CX IMHO. Otherwise if CX collapse, it’s clear who will be running the airline business.
BearX220 and ernestnywang like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: MP, BR
People are entitled to their choices but unless there's a substantial difference in the product my choices will remain the same.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
definitely got to support cx.

they are stuck between a rock and hard place.

​​​​​​
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: CX DM, AA EXP
Based in HK. Am supporting CX. Every company and government navigates challenging situations. IMHO, this is far from a black/white situation.

Agree with CXFlyerBoy, some of the OP comments could be read quite negatively.

Last edited by djday; Aug 17, 2019 at 11:52 pm
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
They definitely have my full support, and I have really noticed a pick up in service levels over the last couple of months; I was met by a lovely lady from MPC off the plane the other day quite out of the blue, and she was just there to thank me for my business, accompany me to immigration, check I had a good flight and very kindly threw some extra benefits my way for my continued good business. Never had that before, and quite amusing it was too as my CEO was with me and he was not impressed at the service I got which he did not get!!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
These responses are perplexing. Yes indeed CX is in a difficult position. It must act in the best interests of its employees, who rely upon the airline for their livelihoods. CX reflects the culture and people of Hong Kong, which is a developed, civilized society beloved around the world. It is a beacon of light in a region where darkness is ever present. CX, like Hong Kong offers basic employment protections, such as women not terminated for pregnancy, and personnel protected from discrimination based upon religious belief, sexual orientation, age etc. If CX disappears or sees its markets stripped in favour of certain other carriers, those protections will disappear. CX provides employment opportunities for people raised and educated in the zone. A loss of those jobs will eventually translate into lost economic opportunity and cause poverty and hardship in the population. CX is an active supporter of multiple charities and aviation education related programs, unlike some of the regions' other carriers. In plain language, the airline is a positive contributor to the local community.

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy

Really, I do not see the racism. Hong Kong is part of China, albeit culturally different. The overwhelming majority of employees are ethnic Chinese. How would support of these people be racist? Hogg was sacrificed to please the mainland puppeteers. He was a victim and those who are paying attention know that. His name could have been Wong or he could have been a she, and the result would have been the same.

Originally Posted by djday
Based in HK. Am supporting CX. Every company and government navigates challenging situations. IMHO, this is far from a black/white situation.Agree with CXFlyerBoy, some of the OP comments could be read quite negatively.
They will only be read negatively if one has a personal bias or is looking for an argument.

I use CX as a designated connection on my flights and will continue to use CX. I have the option of using TG, or even taking independent flights with FD or any of the other flights that connect onward. Despite all the complaints about CX from its FFs, as a non status CX customer, I have no complaints. Despite the cheaper airfares if I connect in PEK or PVG, I am done with those awful airports and the rude/hostile transfer experience and the low quality J class experience of Air China and China Eastern. I would rather pay more and have the knowledge that I am getting the reliability and quality of Cathay. Every flight I have had to PVG on the BKK/SIN route has had the stench of cheap tobacco permeating my cabin while I was served inedible food. Oh yes, I see the whinging about the lounge experience in Hong Kong now. Well. go and experience the filth of the PVG facilities or the abomination of a lounge in PEK to get an idea of what is in store for Hong Kong if Cathay and its respect for quality disappears. Cathay is in a fight for its survival, especially now with the devious assault on its stock.
There isn't much CX can do when faced with the bullying tactics of the mainland. If Canada, an alleged sovereign country does nothing when bullied and threatened by the PRC, one can not expect people who have to live under the PRC rule to withstand the onslaught.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: CX DM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by keitherson
I don't want to be supporting an airline that will now essentially be run by the backhands of Mainland China. (business culture, service standards, safety regulations, even ignoring all the politics)
Not looking for an argument, attempting to read from multiple angles. In my opinion, one reasonable interpretation could be that the business culture, service standards and safety regulations of the 'backhands' of Mainland China are poor or not worthy of support, which is a fairly broad generalization and may logically have connotations about the general population. Defer to those with greater knowledge, but the safety record of the Mainland Chinese airlines has been pretty good from my understanding.

Everyone should decide on their support for CX or any other corporation based upon their values.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
I don't support the protests and general idea that Hong Kong should be its own country. It's clearly part of China, and should remain that way indeed as one country with two systems. With that said, I also don't necessarily support the extradition bill or really any action to meld the legal systems which are so fundamentally different. I also think that the Chinese authorities demanding a leadership change 'or else' is not only unreasonable, but it's unacceptable. At the end of the day, CX had no choice in the matter. If they said no, the threat of being shut out of Chinese airspace is not only real, but it would be a decision which they could not appeal. Access to the mainland Chinese market is crucial to the success of the airline, and for that matter, Hong Kong. If this were to be lost, the airline would have no other option but to shut down entirely as far as I can imagine.

I'm also more often than not a transit passenger, these days usually to/from Bangkok. I lived for some years in Shanghai. For now, even with my opinion of the political state/fate of Hong Kong, I say we should support CX. I will continue to do so myself until I've given reason otherwise.

P.S. - Dear pro-HK independence people: don't hate me for what I said, I love HK too ❤️
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
why is this so political discussion again? please go to OMNI for that.

i am pragmatic about it, if they improve ex Hkg pricing in J and improve service thats superior (catering, wine, bedding, pajamas) thats on par with competiton i will happily give them a shot. But so far everything they done is to screw their pax so i moved away from CX where possible. ongoing matter dont affect me, i am buying ticket to get from point A to B, and most cost benefit airline wins my business. I dont fly CX as a form of political expression, whatever that happens to be which is irrelavent.
FlyingNone and hkflyer2014 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.