Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Should we be supporting or leaving CX in these challenging times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should we be supporting or leaving CX in these challenging times?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfung
I am pretty certain BJ did not tell CX to hand over lists of crew who participated in any of the demonstrations... They specifically said ILLEGAL demonstrations and activities... Even CX themselves keep saying they strongly oppose any ILLEGAL activities.. I think many people either knowingly or unknowingly mix the the peaceful protests together with the illegal activities as it is hard to separate the 2 sometimes.... Many times, the illegal part only starts after the official peaceful demonstration ends, when they descend into chaos and violence...
Your feeling of certainty only shows you dont have much of an understanding on what exactly China demands.

They continue to fire employees as of now. Most of those being fired after China's demand, have only participated in the protests that received the Police No Objection letters, and are in the camp of "Peaceful, Rational, Nonviolent". Some dont even ever participating protests physically, but posted on their social media accounts that they are pro-movement.

If you really think Chna is only asking for the names of participants on "illegal protests", then either you are extremely naive, or you are actually one of those who choose to ignore the truth no matter what. (Plenty of those in Hong Kong and all over the world - just see how those mainlanders behave when they come out to attack the Hong Kongers rallies in Melbourne, Brisbane, London, Paris etc
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:28 pm

My view, CX is abusing whistle blowing and pushing don't needed high pressure to their colleagues, the most affected is front line colleagues.

Reporting likes for example, hidden DG cargo loaded to pax aircraft, incorrect use of parts at maintenance, it's absolutely fine as misconduct. But now CX even CAAC requires to report the colleagues political view, non-office hour SNS post/comments, it's simply not acceptable.

I even in worries to take CX flights under current high pressure, too many accident in history is due to crew working in low morale environment.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
As a customer, I am now afraid to talk to crew since it may need to political discussion. I dont want crew to add substance to my food and drink for a different political viewpoints.

as a result, i stay in my F seat in my last two flights with CX.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by pbd456
As a customer, I am now afraid to talk to crew since it may need to political discussion. I dont want crew to add substance to my food and drink for a different political viewpoints.

The crew avoid those topics inflight...I spoke to someone last week on my flight she said it has been quite difficult especially when passengers bound for HK ask them about these things.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by christep
Well, yes, but if the person is unable to perform the duties for which they were employed because they are not permitted to fly to or over China then I guess they can reasonably be made redundant.
I can imagine this would be the main basis of firings sooner or later.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
The crew avoid those topics inflight...I spoke to someone last week on my flight she said it has been quite difficult especially when passengers bound for HK ask them about these things.
i think it is best to leave politics out inflight.

I never hear any talk about Trump with cabin crew when I fly with usa airline.

The Eva air cabin crew tweet post regarding adding substance to crew/passengers who don't support the strike really scare me.
moondog and moreismore like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:46 am

i think it is best to leave politics out inflight.
This.

So long as CX routes and value proposition works for me better than their competitors (gonna take a lot of Politics to drive me back to UA), I'll continue to fly them, irrespective of Politics or my personal views on HK or its people. When I travel, I don't want to hear or talk Politics of any kind, unless it's in private and with close friends.
moondog, moreismore and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott

Maybe you should give up AA altogether as well as DFW(TX), PHL(PA), MIA(FL), CLT(NC), PHX(AZ) and LAX(CA)-based crew who might have different political opinions and add substance to your food, as well.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Maybe you should give up AA altogether as well as DFW(TX), PHL(PA), MIA(FL), CLT(NC), PHX(AZ) and LAX(CA)-based crew who might have different political opinions and add substance to your food, as well.
There is no reason to worry as long as you keep your political opinions to yourself.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by moondog
There is no reason to worry as long as you keep your political opinions to yourself.
I am not the one to worry to begin with, nor do I enjoy talking politics with strangers. I just feel it's even worse than "You will get shot while walking on streets in the U.S." type of comments.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:07 pm

This is such a difficult decision to make. I spoke with a friend who works cabin crew, who (guardedly) told me that CX needs our support. Yet I'm appalled by the memos coming out from CX to employees encouraging staff to whistleblow on each other. As @nastypenman says, this is above and beyond what needs to be done if the company truly values its employees and company culture, and wishes to preserve it.

I have to travel trans Pacific soon, and I will probably travel on JAL (better economy seats) or China Airlines (excellent price right now).
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
you see, as someone native from HK, i enjoy talking in Cantonese (this is why HKers like to fly Hk based airline).
Iam fairly certain that this is why some people want to fly CX instead of other airlines. when I fly AA or other airlines, I dont expect to talk to anyone in Cantonese. I have little interest in small talk to crew.

I dont talk Cantonese at all when I am in USA.

regarding adding substance to food.

These are some discussions in EVA air about their strike.

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Politics-wise, the two group share the same (Independence from China). When one goes extreme, who goes what people would do to hurt others.

Last edited by pbd456; Aug 30, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Politics by nature is not private, it's always public. For those that claims as long as Cathay delivers, who cares, is ignorant and naive. The effect that Beijing has over a corporation's hiring and termination policies on Cathay, will also domino to other Hong Kong corporations if the corporations sees that it won't affect their bottom line. Cathay is setting a dangerous precedent by kowtowing to the emperor, who's next? HSBC? In the future corporations will no longer exist to provide the best service and products to the consumers, but rather, the highest priority is to do Beijing's bidding. Cathay already admits it uses cameras in cabins to monitor passengers during flight, will those data be hand over to Beijing? Will HSBC submit to Beijing and hand over personal information and details of every financial transactions? The precedent is set, we do whatever Beijing asks or we will be declared "unsafe" and bar from Chinese airspace/market, etc. So no, this isn't just about one's private political opinions, what Cathay is doing has serious public repercussions.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Politics by nature is not private, it's always public. For those that claims as long as Cathay delivers, who cares, is ignorant and naive. The effect that Beijing has over a corporation's hiring and termination policies on Cathay, will also domino to other Hong Kong corporations if the corporations sees that it won't affect their bottom line. Cathay is setting a dangerous precedent by kowtowing to the emperor, who's next? HSBC? In the future corporations will no longer exist to provide the best service and products to the consumers, but rather, the highest priority is to do Beijing's bidding. Cathay already admits it uses cameras in cabins to monitor passengers during flight, will those data be hand over to Beijing? Will HSBC submit to Beijing and hand over personal information and details of every financial transactions? The precedent is set, we do whatever Beijing asks or we will be declared "unsafe" and bar from Chinese airspace/market, etc. So no, this isn't just about one's private political opinions, what Cathay is doing has serious public repercussions.
it is alleged that HSBC hand over the Huawei information to USA to enable for the arrest.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
it is alleged that HSBC hand over the Huawei information to USA to enable for the arrest.
Apples and oranges (if true).. Huawei was funneling money and resources to Iran, against UN boycott. This is completely different than handing private information to China for political persecution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.