Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Should we be supporting or leaving CX in these challenging times?

Should we be supporting or leaving CX in these challenging times?

Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Visconti
Most people make decisions based on emotion, then justified by logic. I'll use a gambling analogy here. I recall many years ago on a Roulette table where we had about 8 Reds in succession. Of course, the mathemtical each successive red above 4 were unlikely and heading towards astronomical at around 8. Naturally, most would bet black after the first 4 reds and doubling up (the Martingale flaw) assuming the odds would mean the next spin would be overwhelmingly black, simply because in the long run, it's a 50/50 split between red and black.

Here's what they missed. Experienced gamblers, or those with real world experience, would realize instinctively that the odds are so slim we'd have so many reds in succession, there must be something else at play. The way the dealer spins the wheel. An imbalance favoring red. Whatever. So, the smart gamblers kept betting on red until they closed the table.

When an event occurs, ignore it. If it occurs again, be wary. A third time, regardless, avoid like the plague. Whether the occurrence is caused by bad luck or sabotage is irrelevant, only that one should avoid it. HK would be well served to remember this. If these protests and disruptions continue, the outside world isn't going to give a rat's a** for your cause, and only care about the risks and will chose not to visit or "cash in their chips" and go home or to Singapore.
I'm not so sure that the protests will do as much long term damage as the current selective enforcement of laws will.

The only things that Hong Kong has going for it compared to other Chinese cities is the rule of law and if that disappears, you're right, Singapore looks a lot more attractive.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Doraemat
Yes it's small but why should I subject myself to unnecessary risk? If it is avoidable and it isn't too costly or inconvenient then why not avoid the risk?
Do you honestly believe that there is less risk of dying on 2 flights than on 1 flight, let alone a single train ride?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:37 pm

I'm not so sure that the protests will do as much long term damage as the current selective enforcement of laws will.
Without making any observations on a broader scale, any kind of pro-longed civil unrest isn't conducive to the perception of stability that is required to attract and retain long term investments, which has been one of the main drivers of HK's explosive growth. The free flow of human talent and outside capital will cease, and then exit should civil unrest continue. Whatever the reason or cause, these macro financial decisions are made by folks absent of emotion. These continued protests will only serve to benefit certain parties in Taiwan and Singapore, which is fine, so long as HK realizes the unintended consequences of their actions.

The only things that Hong Kong has going for it compared to other Chinese cities is the rule of law and if that disappears, you're right, Singapore looks a lot more attractive.
Again, while offering my observations on a very limited scope, Ms. Lam's extradition bill has been formally withdrawn. Pure speculation here, but I'm sure even those who were silent are thankful to the Protestors for this particular result. We live and make our way in the world as it exists, not in one we wish it to be. In my view, it's time to move on, settle things down and see if the HK people can enjoy some stability and prosperity. We can cross the 2047 bridge when we get there.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This has drifted off topic again. You can continue to discuss this thread in OMNI.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.