Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by christep
30, or even 10, years ago, maybe some truth in that, but in these days of made in China iPhones, high speed trains, and, yes, Airbus planes I really don't think that sentiment is accurate.
As a senior management that used to work in Shanghai and handle Chinese Communist members, I thought you would know better. Let me explain. It's a well known practice in China that when they build things, same product, there are "two assembly lines": 1) For export only - the best quality according to specs provided (say iPhone), 2) For domestic use - it can be the VERY SAME PRODUCT, but this is where they cut corners. I have done business enough in China to witness this myself in factories (just as you've witness your company bribing communist officials and providing for their kids educations).

My worry is now they will treat Cathay as "domestic" airline, and when you are labeled "domestic", that's where the corners are cut. So the same Airbus products China made that is exporting to Europe, versus the ones they made to service A350s for Cathay in China, same factory, two assembly lines, I don't say this as an outsider doing guess work.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
As a senior management that used to work in Shanghai and handle Chinese Communist members, I thought you would know better. Let me explain. It's a well known practice in China that when they build things, same product, there are "two assembly lines": 1) For export only - the best quality according to specs provided (say iPhone), 2) For domestic use - it can be the VERY SAME PRODUCT, but this is where they cut corners. I have done business enough in China to witness this myself in factories (just as you've witness your company bribing communist officials and providing for their kids educations).

My worry is now they will treat Cathay as "domestic" airline, and when you are labeled "domestic", that's where the corners are cut. So the same Airbus products China made that is exporting to Europe, versus the ones they made to service A350s for Cathay in China, same factory, two assembly lines, I don't say this as an outsider doing guess work.
I was under the impression that the cabin installation occurs before the final delivery of the aircraft. In the case of the A350, that would have been in Toulouse as the Tianjin final assembly only deals with A320s and A330s.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WonTonMin
I heard a somewhat different version of this story. Hogg was asked to turn over to Beijing a list of names of Cathay employees who had supported the protests.

Hogg did. The list contained one name: Rupert Hogg.

Great, if true.
I read about this the other day. If true, then that's quite a sacrifice to protect his own employees. Wow.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by lsquare
I read about this the other day. If true, then that's quite a sacrifice to protect his own employees. Wow.
I don't believe this is what happened. Lots of media sensation on this topic without much factual information.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
It's been debunked as completely fabricated by several HK based journalists, including SCMP's aviation journo Danny Lee. I'm surprised it is still floating around in a should-be informed on the topic forum like FT.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
News has come out that Beijing demanded Cathay to turn over a list of "problematic employees" to them, and Hogg refused. So Beijing summoned Swire himself (the person, not the corporate) to gave him a verbal lynching, and apparently Swire than use his influenced to force Cathay to submit to Beijing's will, which Hogg resigned in protest.

Although Cathay has disappointed me in the past for their Marco Polo nerf, but I still trust them to be one of the world's safest airline in the world. But after this, right now to me they are just another Chinese airline.
I have heard something along these lines too. Hogg was effectively the sacrificial lamb to appease China and keep the focus off Swire and Slosar.

CX now becomes just another mainland airline with a lacklustre CEO fresh from ruining HAECO, but who will do exactly what he's told by Beijing.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:32 am

CX now even controlling their colleagues SNS contents, and seeking anyone who joined "illegal" protests before the new guidelines.

What a shame to CX new management team and Swire management, did they haven't learnt it from US and Japan carrier how to handle country/region issue before?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by rickywk
CX now even controlling their colleagues SNS contents, and seeking anyone who joined "illegal" protests before the new guidelines.

What a shame to CX new management team and Swire management, did they haven't learnt it from US and Japan carrier how to handle country/region issue before?
How did US and Japan carriers handled the situation?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rickywk

Everyone can just delete their SMSes or handover a burner phone though?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Cathay Dragon union chief fired for posting political opinions on Facebook.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Cathay Dragon union chief fired for posting political opinions on Facebook.

https://twitter.com/xinqisu/status/1...289300992?s=21

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1...102928901?s=21
Totally ridiculous.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:53 am

The longtime head of the Hong Kong Dragon Airlines Flight Attendants’ Association, Rebecca Sy, says she was sacked by Cathay Dragon after confirming the authenticity of several social media messages she had posted, though management refused to specify the reason why she was fired.
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...8-20190823.htm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: Meh
Reconsideration on my part.

Last edited by stevie; Aug 23, 2019 at 5:09 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by boybi

You can have a quick comparison for visit AA/UA/JL/NH and CX web site
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:30 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by boybi

China doesn't dare touch US-base carriers. They are locked in a trade-war. Trump might pull a smack-down like propose to buy the City of Hong Kong like he is doing buying Greenland. Hey! I have dreams too!

As for Japan or Korea based airlines, this would raise it to international diplomatic problem. Besides, Japan airlines can cut stop flying to China and probably survive. Cathay Pacific cannot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.