Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
It is extremely disappointing to see that Hogg "resigned" as CEO of Cathay Pacific. CX now goes from Boss Hogg to Emperor Augustus.

Hogg stated that "...it is right that Paul and I take responsibility as leaders of the company" ; by responsibility he really means blame.

It would be understandable if Hogg were pushed out due to CX financial performance (this year CX is among 10 worst-performing carriers on the Bloomberg World Airlines Index, per Skift), but that wasn't it. It would be understandable if Hogg were sacked due to ethics violations. No ethics violations were cited.

Although I have not been a fan of the cost cuts and deterioration of CX service levels under Hogg, I don't appreciate the reason for his departure. It isn't good to see Beijing meddling with a Hong Kong enterprise.

It will be interesting to hear from Augustus, about what he plans to do differently as CEO of Cathay Pacific, and what changes the airline may make.
infinitium likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by wyskevin
I also very much concern about its development...
The way I like CX is her HK esprit, warm, kind and effective service.
However, Im not quite sure to support CX if she would become a Chinese airlines.....

Tomorrow I will have two legs on CX. The scene might be tense or a bit weird...
Will try to chat with cabin crew to see how this impacts...
If you do, please try to make sure there is no one eavesdropping, so to make sure that the FA will not be reported...
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
And more messages from the motherland:

"No zuo no die" 央视细数国泰航空"乱港之罪" https://news.sina.cn/gn/2019-08-16/d...9683785.d.html

国泰航空:最近事件让声誉和品牌受压 2名高管辞职 https://news.sina.cn/gn/2019-08-16/d...9674591.d.html

All attributed to/excerpting CCTV

Looking at the comments, seems like our compatriots expect management to be able to control what employees do both inside and outside of work. Like - not buy iPhones when a Two Minutes' Hate is in effect?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Making concessions to Beijing is to retain its control over CX.
I would argue that it's to maintain their share of the profits now that the fuel hedge fiasco is over, and also to try to make sure they get a decent price when they do finally sell up to Air China and leave.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Feel bad for Hogg to go down this way, he was a lifer at Cathay for over 30 plus years, someone that truly loves the airline.

This actually make me feeling less safe in the future if I ever had to fly with Cathay, because it shows Cathay is bending over itself to appease the Chinese regime. And one is naive if one believes the Chinese regime's demand of Cathay will stop right here. In the future the Chinese regime will probably demand Cathay to buy parts and services from China as much as possible, meaning less quality parts, less qualified services, meaning less safer Cathay as we know it.

Well, I guess I will stop my attend to renew Gold this year, I had planned to buy a few I fare tickets with them, but now those money will go elsewhere. For Cathay to fire their pilots, and other personnel, and now CEO and another upper management had to stepped down because Beijing said so, well, they can sell their souls to Beijing, I won't be part of it.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS
Terrible news
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Feel bad for Hogg to go down this way, he was a lifer at Cathay for over 30 plus years, someone that truly loves the airline.

This actually make me feeling less safe in the future if I ever had to fly with Cathay, because it shows Cathay is bending over itself to appease the Chinese regime. And one is naive if one believes the Chinese regime's demand of Cathay will stop right here. In the future the Chinese regime will probably demand Cathay to buy parts and services from China as much as possible, meaning less quality parts, less qualified services, meaning less safer Cathay as we know it.

Well, I guess I will stop my attend to renew Gold this year, I had planned to buy a few I fare tickets with them, but now those money will go elsewhere. For Cathay to fire their pilots, and other personnel, and now CEO and another upper management had to stepped down because Beijing said so, well, they can sell their souls to Beijing, I won't be part of it.
and what alternatives will you have?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:40 pm

Why does the BBC article say "quit" when Hogg didn't quit? It isn't just misleading but it is wrong.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by sunzi
Anyone with insight to the situation would have known that he had to go. The issue isn't with the employees being able to have a political opinion. It had to do with certain employees using work to advance their goals such as the pilot broadcasting over the intercom a political message. Further to that, you had employees taking part in illegal activities and being arrested. All these things transpired and he didn't do anything. As CEO, he should have made it clear from the beginning, can't use work to promote or advance political agenda and don't participate in any illegal activities. After all, as an airline, your customers come from a vast spectrum of political leanings. He didn't do that and was just a matter of time before he had to step down.
I don't think the employees in question used work for a political message. Do you have any evidence of that?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't think the employees in question used work for a political message. Do you have any evidence of that?
There were multiple social media posts saying that some pilots were trying to drum up support for the protests when making announcements in flight, etc..No actual recordings or video... so who knows... but if true, would be rather unprofessional IMHO to do that...
fakecd and jetsetter1k like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by tfung
There were multiple social media posts saying that some pilots were trying to drum up support for the protests when making announcements in flight, etc..No actual recordings or video... so who knows... but if true, would be rather unprofessional IMHO to do that...
I thought it was targeting protestors, as in the people actually on the ground who were protesting. Because that is what the memo to CX about new requirements to fly over China's airspace was about.
Not sure that pilots saying that is "illegal".
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Respectfully, this opinion uses a somewhat dated perspective of mainland Chinese carriers...and a yesteryear perspective of CX, too.
Yes, I do understand that CX cut back on its service quality and that many of hits FFs have expressed their fury here at FT. And yes, I do understand that China Southern and Hainan can provide excellent service on some routes. However, other mainland carriers have had it in for Cathay for some time. I offer that it is naive to not account for the strategic intent of PLA/CPC controlled entities. They are a juggernaut, intent on dominance, much as the railroad companies of industrial North America sought to control and dominate their market. CX is a symbol of quality, and provides decent employment opportunities to which the mainland carriers are compared. Curtail the global reach and standing of the firm and the regional quality of mainland carriers isn't so bad.

I draw your attention to the depressing news last week of mainland controlled mega companies initiated directives to boycott Cathay. For example, Huarong International and CRC are reported to have implemented such a directive. I also draw your attention to the effective strategy Air China applied to establish dominance on its Canadian routes, despite the presence of a JV with Air Canada. On the surface, there should be no need to negatively impact a JV partner, and yet it is IMO ongoing.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:27 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I thought it was targeting protestors, as in the people actually on the ground who were protesting. Because that is what the memo to CX about new requirements to fly over China's airspace was about.
Not sure that pilots saying that is "illegal".
"Cathay pilot telling passengers about extradition bill protests on July 26" (can't find full quote)

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...eased-security
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
"Cathay pilot telling passengers about extradition bill protests on July 26" (can't find full quote)

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...eased-security
So this isn't related?
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...box=1565352804
I thought this kicked it off. It is about participating in the protests. If you read the article, the pilot who was fired was because he participated in the protests. Not cause of anything done on-board. They seem to be two separate issues which some are trying to conflate.
At least that is how I understand it, not being there.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I have seen nothing to indicate that the pilot make the announcement on July 26 has been fired. He very carefully didn't state a political point. He advised all passengers about the protests and asked all HKers (in Cantonese) to "take care and stay strong".

One was fired for being accused of rioting (what happened to innocent until proved guilty?) and the other for posting a pic in LIHKG (a Reddit-like forum) of a message on a screen in the cockpit. Details (including the picture) here: https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/08/1...ssure-beijing/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.