Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
I also very much concern about its development...
The way I like CX is her HK esprit, warm, kind and effective service.
However, Im not quite sure to support CX if she would become a Chinese airlines.....

Tomorrow I will have two legs on CX. The scene might be tense or a bit weird...
Will try to chat with cabin crew to see how this impacts...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Central90210
Paul Loo is also out according to SCMP’s article, though he should’ve been out ages ago.
Always thought we was like CEO-in-waiting
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Always thought we was like CEO-in-waiting
Ronald Lam was supposed to be the CEO for HK Express, yet he has now abruptly been pulled to fill Loo's role... this is definitely causing serious headaches for CX.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Another wound. While I appreciate that there is an undertone of politics, I believe that vested interests have been waiting for an opportunity to disrupt CX and damage the carrier 's positive position in the market. It has been a long time coming. The mainland carriers couldn't compete on the basis of service, quality, reliability, personnel nor come remotely close to the dynamic attraction of Hong Kong as a hub, and so their allies in the mainland military/political/industrial conglomerate waited for an opportune time to clip the wings of Cathay.

Oh sure, some will say, that any financial loss would hurt Air China and other mainland investors, but that impact is nothing when offset by the gains to other other holdings.The mainland interests are playing the long game and are moving with discipline and patience.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:37 am

Culturally, Swire folks are more able to adapt to this.

Many people feel corporations should exert control our government, including lobbying the government.

but in most Asia contries, including Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia etc and to some extent South Korea, corporations tend to heed the voice of the government and not challenge it.

In China, it just more prominent and Swire having done business in China for over 100 years knows it better than most people.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Has mainland China revenue dropped off recently?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC
I genuinely feel sorry for Cathay Pacific as I think it has been caught in an impossible position - on one hand trying to stand by its employees and be seen to be doing the right thing; on the other hand, trying not to commit commercial suicide. The airline has been dragged - unwillingly - into the firing line and, as a result, seems to have had to move its corporate position from one direction to the polar opposite in the space of a few days and, as a consequence, there are calls for a boycott of the airline from all sides. The senior executives who have gone have paid the ultimate price and I suspect it is hoped that the "sacrificial lambs" will appease people on both sides of the debate and buy it some breathing room; but unless matters in HK get resolved soon, I fear that their replacements are soon going to be faced with exactly the same impossible situation.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:31 am

It's noteworthy that Augustus Tang, the new CEO has also been with Swire since 1982. So I think he is from the same generation as Hogg and Loo and probably has inherited the same way of doing business.

I still don't really understand what this CEO change is all about. Did CX try to please China with that, or did China wanted that story for their news to show their citizens that they are the ones with the final say.
Or does it really mean China has more influence on Tang than they had on Hogg. Can't imagine that Swire would just let that happen.
Gongzuokuang and cx4ever like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Are they sacrificial lambs or did they say “enough intervention is enough” and say they didn’t want to be a part of it?
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by CX HK
An extremely worrying development.
Is it worrying just because a Chinese media reported this before the "formal" CX announcement? This happens all the time with other media (Bloomberg/CNN/Reuters/Fox from "credible resources" reports that Mr CEO has stepped down).

From a PR standpoint, this is a goodwill gesture. CX's way to "make up" with the Mainland authorities by giving CCTV an "exclusive" story so that Mainland will receive this story first hand. As long as CX has complied with other regulations such as Listing Rules (as a HK Listed Company) then there's not much to read into.
percysmith likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Another wound. While I appreciate that there is an undertone of politics, I believe that vested interests have been waiting for an opportunity to disrupt CX and damage the carrier 's positive position in the market. It has been a long time coming. The mainland carriers couldn't compete on the basis of service, quality, reliability, personnel nor come remotely close to the dynamic attraction of Hong Kong as a hub, and so their allies in the mainland military/political/industrial conglomerate waited for an opportune time to clip the wings of Cathay.

Oh sure, some will say, that any financial loss would hurt Air China and other mainland investors, but that impact is nothing when offset by the gains to other other holdings.The mainland interests are playing the long game and are moving with discipline and patience.
Respectfully, this opinion uses a somewhat dated perspective of mainland Chinese carriers...and a yesteryear perspective of CX, too.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Most of the issues with CX (not the political ones), was the work of Slosar... If anyone was to go, should have been him first....
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by tfung
Most of the issues with CX (not the political ones), was the work of Slosar... If anyone was to go, should have been him first....
absolutely agree
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by tfung
In my opinion, Slosar is the symbol of Swire's commitment to CX, and letting him go will make people wonder whether Swire is still controlling CX...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Reply1984
whether Swire is still controlling CX...
If you really still think that's the situation then you haven't understood what happened in the last 2 weeks, and you live in a fantasy land!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.