Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HKG check-in for CX and KA to merge on 1 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG check-in for CX and KA to merge on 1 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX - DM, Marriott - Titanium
Close of check-in counters in Area H of Hong Kong International Airport

Today, CX announced that check-in for all Cathay Dragon flights will be moved from area H to areas B and C of the check-in hall in Hong Kong International Airport as from 1 September 2019.

Does CX want to further reduce the operation cost? Or it is because T2 of HKIA will be ceased of operation on that day?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Makes sense to consolidate the KA check in counters with CX

Some said there was a need to separate KA check in to direct KA pax to the Northern Departures to spread out passenger loads

But guess that is not needed now?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I won't really too much on this.

CX check-in areas are always the far left side on the terminal. So when you have another check-in area at the other end of the terminal, it can create confusion. Consolidating them can actually improve efficiencies.

CX/KA counters at Aisle H should not be even existed at the first place.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Can they maybe join check in together?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'm guessing that the Airport Authority needs somewhere to put the check-in desks for the airlines currently in T2, and the obvious consolidation is to combine KA & CX.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by garykung
CX/KA counters at Aisle H should not be even existed at the first place.
I agree with the rest of your post but this part is ignoring history. KA was acquired by CX in 2006 so there was no reason to have a consolidated check-in area. Since then, there has probably been some inertia meaning that no one really made this a high priority issue.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is an efficient move reducing the confusion when checking in for a codeshare KA/CX.
But CX+KA are, by far the major operators at HKIA. It will increase dramatically the flow to South security/immigration.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
If I recall correctly, originally CX had Gates 1-4 on the South Side exclusively therefore check-in made sense to be on in the B area to facilitate movement through the south security check, and conversely KA was the big users of the 15-19 Gates on the North Side, so made sense to have KA check-in on the north side of the terminal.

As Brunos says this will inevitably increase congestion on the South Side, not helped by the never ending redevelopment of the food plaza just beyond immigration
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I must be the only one who welcomes this development. Can't tell you the number of time I've gone to Area A just to find out I'm actually on a KA flight.
toplayer, fairhsa and littlevoices like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
I must be the only one who welcomes this development. Can't tell you the number of time I've gone to Area A just to find out I'm actually on a KA flight.
Yep it kinda messes with my direct route from the Airport Express to A check-in area to the Wing in as few minutes as possible when I fly with KA, they're the only airline I use my online check-in for to avoid that trek. I'm happy with the move, South gates may be a bit busier but they're normally very quick anyway

Thanks for sharing @arthurlh
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:58 am

T1 expansion will be soon finished and T2 will be closed after that.
HKAA needs some extra room since T1 new wing offer 40 counters but T2 has 56 counters
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
If I recall correctly, originally CX had Gates 1-4 on the South Side exclusively therefore check-in made sense to be on in the B area to facilitate movement through the south security check, and conversely KA was the big users of the 15-19 Gates on the North Side, so made sense to have KA check-in on the north side of the terminal.

As Brunos says this will inevitably increase congestion on the South Side, not helped by the never ending redevelopment of the food plaza just beyond immigration
Correct, CX had (or maybe still has) top priority for gates 1-4 and 11 (then 21).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Yep it kinda messes with my direct route from the Airport Express to A check-in area to the Wing in as few minutes as possible when I fly with KA, they're the only airline I use my online check-in for to avoid that trek. I'm happy with the move, South gates may be a bit busier but they're normally very quick anyway
I've checked in 2 times in the last year at CX counters for KA flights. First time I completely forgot my flight was KA and went to the CX counters. No question asked and only realized it after the process and wondered why I could do it. Second time, I wanted to try it again and no question asked as well.

So it seems like you can do KA check-in at CX counters.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by bluetus04
If so, perhaps that's new, or I wasn't asking the right question. The only time I tried they redirected me (and this was the First class Cathay check-in area), hence never making that mistake again. Maybe next time I can try just to see what happens. I wonder if it was because I was trying to check-in a bag (so long ago I forget, but maybe...). Cheers for the info @bluetus04

(Two useful points on the thread already, now if only there was a secret phrase to get the CX Wing menu from three years ago...)
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by bluetus04
I've checked in 2 times in the last year at CX counters for KA flights. First time I completely forgot my flight was KA and went to the CX counters. No question asked and only realized it after the process and wondered why I could do it. Second time, I wanted to try it again and no question asked as well.

I concur this. Last month I asked the CX desk to print a boarding pass for my KA flight (despite that I've received a mobile BP), and no question was asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.