Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Airport shut down 12 August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Can we please refrain from opinion about protesters and stick with facts about the airport and flights?

Missus has just managed to check in KHH-HKG. I can see two HKG-KHH flights just left not long ago, about an hour delayed. Her flight is also accordingly delayed by just over an hour. Hopefully they can turn around in time.

Connecting HKG-LHR at 1440 also seems to be on schedule. Fingers crossed at this stage.
Alawyer, ernestnywang and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by pbd456
sorry mate. someone called you 5 cents before, so your opinion does not matter. i decide not to say anything publicly (with real idenity) as my sister said that people show her what I wrote and also, my sister said that she doesnt want to see personal insult on me from unknown people. (calling me bald ) so it is safer to talk nothing and let them all believing HKIA is over reacting.

at this point, the truth matters no more. fact no longer makes sense. you want to debate, well. they throw in crazy argument at best, personal insult at worst. they have more people (many people keep quiet). so why bother at this point. i am afraid FT will turn into like this. i hope the moderator can keep people from bullying to silence them.
people can enter the secure area via T2
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by benjai
Can we please refrain from opinion about protesters and stick with facts about the airport and flights?

Missus has just managed to check in KHH-HKG. I can see two HKG-KHH flights just left not long ago, about an hour delayed. Her flight is also accordingly delayed by just over an hour. Hopefully they can turn around in time.

Connecting HKG-LHR at 1440 also seems to be on schedule. Fingers crossed at this stage.
Good luck to the missus.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by flubber
Hopefully this protest movement in HK will be resolved by October!! Don't worry about it. I doubt even the puppet government of HK will let this drag on till October...
I am keeping my fingers crossed, which is why I am still holding onto my ticket! On the plus side, I managed to score seat 7K on my Qantas flight since a nervous flyer must have canceled their booking. Looks like I'm getting a bit more privacy on my way to Melbourne .
flubber likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond

Looks like most of the commotion has definitely died down

From SCMP: "Early on Wednesday, the number of protesters camping out at the airport had dropped to less than 50, from the thousands who occupied the terminal on Tuesday and the hundreds who later moved into departures to bring down operations."

Last edited by triplefives; Aug 13, 2019 at 8:57 pm Reason: added quote from scmp
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:58 pm

Unfounded theories on PLA intervention should neither belong in this forum
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:00 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by pbd456
people can enter the secure area via T2
Last night they closed down the T2 security checkpoint around 5:30. Guy behind me while boarding was one of the last to get through.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet

E2 transit wouldn’t let me through as the flight CX 767 is cancelled.
Just wondering how did you end up in the lounge if security initially did not let you get through because your flight was cancelled... Was it because you got rebooked on CX715 that you got through transit security?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
A friend tried to get through with an attache case and BP in hand.
The departure area is fully blocked by trolleys.
With a mass of people manning them. But even without the trolleys and their masters, it' would be very confrontational to step on those sitting down very close to each other.
They let arriving pax through with a narrow lane, but not departing pax.
All second-hand info..
He just turned back to the city. HK Express was almost empty
Thanks for the info - I can corroborate the trolleys - very evident from the live stream I was watching.

I had a meeting with someone during the afternoon who was able to catch their 8pm flight (originally scheduled for 8pm but actual take off was around 9 something). Not sure if he went through T2 security but from the live stream, the situation there appeared to be more volatile (shouting and pushing) than T1. He had checked in prior to 4:30pm before all the check in facilities closed which made the difference. This is hopefully all in the past now.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
I am checking this website regularly for updates to HKIA for my upcoming flights in and out of HKG this weekend.

As of today, city check-in has been suspended. Airport Express is also slower than usual.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: CX Gold
So where are the designated areas for the protesters?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:56 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by boybi
So where are the designated areas for the protesters?
The old Kai Tak airport? Protest away there :P
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Alawyer
I am checking this website regularly for updates to HKIA for my upcoming flights in and out of HKG this weekend.

As of today, city check-in has been suspended. Airport Express is also slower than usual.
In-town check in should have resumed services as per CX advisories page:

Customers should not proceed to the airport unless they have a confirmed booking. We suggest passengers arrive 3 to 4 hours prior to their flight’s scheduled departure time, and also to take advantage of our In-town Check-in services, which resume today."
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...bly-12Aug.html

MTR status indicates service is operating as expected currently as of 11:59am HKT.
flubber and infinitium like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Arrived okay

just arrived from Changdu on time. Now in Pier lounge waiting flight to Phuket. Airport seems busy airside but operating as normal only few cancellation on the board
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:49 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by eagle215
Just wondering how did you end up in the lounge if security initially did not let you get through because your flight was cancelled... Was it because you got rebooked on CX715 that you got through transit security?
When I checked Manage Booking I saw they had protected us on CX721. I used that to download the mobile boarding pass to Apple Wallet and used the QR code there to get through transit security. The I went to the lounge to deal with needed changes.
Eagle2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.