Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Airport shut down 12 August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:01 pm

As an update, everything operating normally. Not a sign at airport of what happened last night...
flubber and infinitium like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: Alaska
Thank you very much for your reply! It helps. I do have a quick clarification question. When you say "...upon deplaning from TWN, you'd follow signs for Transiting Passengers, and head thru Security for re-clearance..." I assume this is internal check point (i.e. not through where the protestors are) but wanted to confirm.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:07 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ECC_
Thank you very much for your reply! It helps. I do have a quick clarification question. When you say "...upon deplaning from TWN, you'd follow signs for Transiting Passengers, and head thru Security for re-clearance..." I assume this is internal check point (i.e. not through where the protestors are) but wanted to confirm.
Yes. Assuming that protesters remain landside, transit passengers at HKG are in the best situation. Flights are all operating as normal, albeit with less passengers if the check-in get disrupted.
infinitium likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
I'm not looped into the live feed now - just going off Twitter. But what are the chances of a 9am flight tomorrow taking off, you guys reckon?
Pretty good
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6UD...ature=youtu.be

I don't think it's resumed normal operations yet.
It's like the hunger games or something, one of those you make it, you fly scenarios.

"I just wanna go home!"
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ashsong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6UD...ature=youtu.be

I don't think it's resumed normal operations yet.
It's like the hunger games or something, one of those you make it, you fly scenarios.

"I just wanna go home!"
Just for clarity, these scenes were occurring on the Tuesday evening so is not an accurate representation of the current situation.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:29 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by ECC_
True, but if they close check-in and ‘cancel’ the flights you won’t be able to pass through this internal security. Once you get past that security you are in better shape as we found that our ‘canceled’ flight still took off with anyone who was already airside.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
here is what the info shows up on my facebook feed.
HKIA is overreacting to cancel all flights due to peaceful protest, the rationale is to blame the peaceful protesters for the chaos in order to score point for the public.

the evidence is that aircraft are still arriving and leaving, had HKIA didnt cancel the flights. passengers can still check in and proceed to the gate as most have had
flubber likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by swyner
Hey all! I’m due to fly to HKG from DUB on October 31st with CX and then on to MEL on November 5th with Qantas. I’ll be arriving early morning and leaving late evening. Should I be concerned this early on? Or do I just have to monitor the news and see how it all plays out?
Hopefully this protest movement in HK will be resolved by October!! Don't worry about it. I doubt even the puppet government of HK will let this drag on till October...
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
here is what the info shows up on my facebook feed.
HKIA is overreacting to cancel all flights due to peaceful protest, the rationale is to blame the peaceful protesters for the chaos in order to score point for the public.

the evidence is that aircraft are still arriving and leaving, had HKIA didnt cancel the flights. passengers can still check in and proceed to the gate as most have had
Protesters are blocking the entry of passengers to the departures area, overwhelmed the checkin counters area. How is it the HKIA is over reacting?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by Carberry
As an update, everything operating normally. Not a sign at airport of what happened last night...
Perhaps helped by the protestor "cockroaches" who cleaned up the airport after.

I'm due to fly out on Friday to DEL, and onwards the next morning to IXL (Leh, Ladakh). If Friday's CX flight to DEL gets cancelled it'll be terribly inconvenient for me, but I'll just suck it up because I'm 100% behind the protests. They need this to get the govt to start talking / engaging with them instead of read the same spiel from at every press conference.
wkc likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by olwagner
An airport? Really?
If they want a place that is so inaccessible that they would be safe from the Chinese army, they found the right spot.
Did they think about how cumbersome it would be for the Chinese army to send planes to... an airport of all places?
I've heard from many that they would choose to leave/migrate from HK if Chinese armies ever intervene in HK affairs. I just wonder how they could leave without an operational airport?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by boybi
Protesters are blocking the entry of passengers to the departures area, overwhelmed the checkin counters area. How is it the HKIA is over reacting?
There was no blocking on Monday.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by boybi
sorry mate. someone called you 5 cents before, so your opinion does not matter. i decide not to say anything publicly (with real idenity) as my sister said that people show her what I wrote and also, my sister said that she doesnt want to see personal insult on me from unknown people. (calling me bald ) so it is safer to talk nothing and let them all believing HKIA is over reacting.

at this point, the truth matters no more. fact no longer makes sense. you want to debate, well. they throw in crazy argument at best, personal insult at worst. they have more people (many people keep quiet). so why bother at this point. i am afraid FT will turn into like this. i hope the moderator can keep people from bullying to silence them.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by olwagner
An airport? Really?
If they want a place that is so inaccessible that they would be safe from the Chinese army, they found the right spot.
Did they think about how cumbersome it would be for the Chinese army to send planes to... an airport of all places?
How is it inaccessible? The PLA could go in via the ferry station and the arrival gates. The Hong Kong police can then block the departure arrival area and shut down the airport express. They can then arrest everyone inside who do not have a boarding pass. I actually think it is the worst place to have a protest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.