Search

HKG Airport shut down 12 August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:54 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is it possible that all flights are operating, it’s just that no one can check-in, get through security?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Transit passengers were able to fly yesterday. Don't see why it is different today.

Lucky to get out this morning on 2 sets of flight for 4 of us! Going to catch a CMB sez flight that operates twice a week
ernestnywang and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Too much travel
I know we're currently focused on immediate term travel disruptions, but spare a thought for what this means for HKG procedures in the longer term.

We'll end up with an "India-style" airport procedure where members of the public are not allowed into the terminal building unless they have a confirmed flight ticket and matching passport. There'll be Avseco or other private security personnel (not police) to check tickets and passports at Hong Kong, Kowloon and Tsing Yi stations, and also at all upper and lower level entrances to the terminal buildings (there are probably too many entrances so they'll seal some entirely) and the walkway from the Regal.

No more family & friends seeing off travellers. No meet-and-greet allowed at the arrival hall. Suspension of Airport Express services to Expo (people will have to make do with a shuttle bus from Tung Chung station).

All inconvenient, but at least not a patch on what's going on now.
They can block off the entrance to the building.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by sxc
Is it possible that all flights are operating, it’s just that no one can check-in, get through security?
I sure hope so.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pbd456
Exactly - HK is just way too overpopulated to cordon anything off.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:13 am

We are due to fly to fly tomorrow night MEL-HKG-LHR. I received this email earlier...
The Airport Authority in Hong Kong announced that all flights departing Hong Kong International Airport were cancelled Monday 12 AugustOpen a new window. The cancellation period extended until the morning of Tuesday 13 August. Therefore, with immediate effect, rebooking and rerouting charges will be waived for all tickets issued worldwide (irrespective of fare type) on/before 12 August 2019 for travel with Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon confirmed booking arriving to and departing from Hong Kong

We can’t fly out on another date so the rebooking is no good. Does anyone know can we get re-routed with a different airline if the flight hasn’t been cancelled yet?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
they r letting plane land. probably same as yesterday, allowing plane to take off
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:25 am

From what I see on some live videos, terminal 1 is still taking in arrivals - arrival hall has space to walk. T1 departures facilities are not open - check in and security are both closed. In T2, it looks like the escalators are blocked by protesters so can't see if security is still operating.

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by triplefives
Exactly - HK is just way too overpopulated to cordon anything off.
Right, because Mumbai / Delhi etc are totally underpopulated? Without being derogatory, if India has managed to smoothly operate this system for decades, I'm sure Hong Kong can find a way.

Programs: CX Gold
Just watched a live feed from the airport. The protesters are seen trying to block a group/family of caucasian travelers from going to the departures. The protester were not touching anyone, they are just using their bodies to block the passengers. The passengers have to squeeze among the protesters to get through. Two of the teenage girls are seen crying, probably scared of all that’s happening.

Just like what I have been pointing out in my previous posts, these actions doesn’t get the sympathy of people outside of HK. Even in the comments in the social media, majority are speaking against these protests.

These events (airport closure) have caused a lot of inconveniences to the lives of other people who weren’t supposed to be affected by what’s going on in HK.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Right, because Mumbai / Delhi etc are totally underpopulated? Without being derogatory, if India has managed to smoothly operate this system for decades, I'm sure Hong Kong can find a way.
I'm not sure if you understand. Protesters can just create choke points elsewhere because of the sheer volume of people.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by boybi
Just watched a live feed from the airport. The protesters are seen trying to block a group/family of caucasian travelers from going to the departures. The protester were not touching anyone, they are just using their bodies to block the passengers. The passengers have to squeeze among the protesters to get through. Two of the teenage girls are seen crying, probably scared of all that’s happening.

Just like what I have been pointing out in my previous posts, these actions doesn’t get the sympathy of people outside of HK. Even in the comments in the social media, majority are speaking against these protests.

These events (airport closure) have caused a lot of inconveniences to the lives of other people who weren’t supposed to be affected by what’s going on in HK.
Agreed - this is just absolutely the wrong way for the protestors to try to achieve their aims.
cliburn and vincewy like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Booking phone number

Hi all. Can anyone help with a contact number for me. Meant to be flying with Cathay Dragon. Currently in China and all websites blocked even via VPN. Can’t find a number for them. Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:42 am

So looks like T1 departures still have personnel but people will need to make their way past the picket - looks travelers can go though.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by gav0106
Hi all. Can anyone help with a contact number for me. Meant to be flying with Cathay Dragon. Currently in China and all websites blocked even via VPN. Can’t find a number for them. Thanks!

Flight enquiries:+852 2747-3333
24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Toll free worldwide:
+800 2747 3333

Mainland China 400 861 3333
gav0106 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.