Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Airport shut down 12 August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: airponts
Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon have been informed by the Hong Kong International Airport Authority that all departing flights are cancelled today, Monday 12 August, effective immediately. The cancellation period will extend until the morning of tomorrow, Tuesday 13 August. This is as a result of the public assembly taking place at Hong Kong International Airport.

Customers are therefore advised to postpone non-essential travel both today (12 August) and tomorrow (13 August) and should not proceed to the airport. Additionally, In-town Check-in services have been suspended.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Does anyone have any info for flights departing from 00:00 onwards? Technically the next calendar day....which hasn't been mentioned yet.

​​​
All are showing as cancelled according to the HKG website.

I'm supposed to fly CX LHR>HKG>CGK tomorrow so I'm wondering what my strategy should be for that.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JALPak
Sounds like most likely will be canceled as well

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...bly-12Aug.html
BTW - I love the link, which this again shows how poor CX's IT is. The Special ticketing guideline page does not work, which practically tells its customer SOL.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by boybi
Why don’t the protesters just do it within the city and leave the airport alone? If they want to get sympathy from the international community, this will just backfire on them, as can be seen in comments in the social media.
international sympathy is up there with hopes and prayers in practical effectiveness
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:47 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by garykung
I can tell you this - given what has happened in the last few days. By the time 00:00, HKG should become a war zone. I would say flights will be cancelled at least until those 06:00 departure/arrival.
CNN says 7:00am https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...7d3a9b2b8222dc
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
as of 510pm local time most flights are landing still. which means foreign cariers perceive it to be short lived. if they thought its long lasting they wud have diverted
why need to divert n waste additional money?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbs2716g

why need to divert n waste additional money?
Because HKG May close for long perhaps.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:54 am

Actually they ARE diverting:
From SCMP.com
Final arrival: source says the last fight landing today will be Virgin Australia's VA83, scheduled to touch down at 5.31pm. Other flights scheduled to arrive later were either diverted or put on hold.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by percysmith
CNN estimates 0700 based on the current departure status. However, HKG is busy with arrival in the early morning (like those N. America bound flights). So the time can still change. How much of the change depends on...you know...how quick the war zone being cleared.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC SL
Any idea what’s the best way to get rebooked? Supposed to fly to AKL. Seems like there’s no way for me to reach CX now
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
not a question in jest - heard that most staff are being sent back early...
- are the lounges airside still open?
- are the shops airside still open?

i could imagine people transitting HKG would be stranded airside

whilst it could just be like a typhoon irrops.... but didnt think that staff were sent back early?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by Carberry
Actually they ARE diverting:
From SCMP.com
Final arrival: source says the last fight landing today will be Virgin Australia's VA83, scheduled to touch down at 5.31pm. Other flights scheduled to arrive later were either diverted or put on hold.
On Twitter, they're posting flight parths of HKG bound departures from NRT and ICN turning around and returning to their originating airport.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by imnewhere
Any idea what’s the best way to get rebooked? Supposed to fly to AKL. Seems like there’s no way for me to reach CX now
Given you're SL, try GCC in 6 hours.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by boybi
Why don’t the protesters just do it within the city and leave the airport alone? If they want to get sympathy from the international community, this will just backfire on them, as can be seen in comments in the social media.
Because this will seriously hurt the ruling class financially and get them in the picture. Sympathies from the international community will lead to literally nothing.
All power to them.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by ermen
not a question in jest - heard that most staff are being sent back early...
- are the lounges airside still open?
- are the shops airside still open?
1. Shops closed/closing (Jardine is sending airport retail staff home)
2. Mobile service cut
3. Electricity cut
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.