Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Airport shut down 12 August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:43 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by boybi
Why don’t the protesters just do it within the city and leave the airport alone? If they want to get sympathy from the international community, this will just backfire on them, as can be seen in comments in the social media.
or get them the spotlight

Originally Posted by percysmith
By swarming Hong Kong airport, protesters take their message to the world
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/12/asia/...hnk/index.html
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:44 am

It seem like flight departing after 6pm are all cancelled.

3 of the CX flight to Taipei are flying without paxes accordingly to CX website
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:44 am

Why don’t the protesters just do it within the city and leave the airport alone? If they want to get sympathy from the international community, this will just backfire on them, as can be seen in comments in the social media.
the only way China will respond is to bring down HK economy. Crippling the airport is the easiest and quickest way to achieve such aim.
that will show Carrie Lam the youths are also stakeholders of the society, which she very casually denied previously. Also will show China if HK falls, we fall together
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:49 am

Govt's played a smart move

They can overreact and blame the protesters
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why don’t the protesters just do it within the city and leave the airport alone?
It is a copycat from BKK years ago.
holmedown, thomas164 and miklcct like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:51 am

Protestors never meant to shut down the airport. This exercise was meant as a way for protestors to bring their message to the international community, who would receive flyers or see posters as they arrived.

After yesterday's violent scenes (some perpetrated by triads, who attacked random civilians), there are two reasons why people rushed to the airport:

1) Overwhelming anger and emotions from yesterday, wanting to express this, and;
2) Safety - theoretically, no local triads or riot police will attack protestors, but given the way things have gone, nothing would surprise me anymore
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
2) Safety - theoretically, no local triads or riot police will attack protestors, but given the way things have gone, nothing would surprise me anymore
But given police will arrest protesters when feasible, airport island is a trap.

Last edited by sxc; Aug 12, 2019 at 3:06 am Reason: Remove inflammatory language.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:08 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Again, given the nature of this thread, we would like to keep the discussion calm, factual and mature. As per FlyerTalk rule 12.3, no inflammatory posts or language.

I'm sure we will soon have people who are stuck in HKG or stuck trying to transit through HKG who will be seeking information, and hopefully we will be able to help them collectively.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

But given police will arrest protesters when feasible, airport island is a trap.
True, given police fired tear gas inside a MTR station and kicked people down escalators, I fear to imagine what a mass indoor conflict will look like...
flubber and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by CX HK
True, given police fired tear gas inside a MTR station and kicked people down escalators, I fear to imagine what a mass indoor conflict will look like...
my biggest concern also. It has an air of serious battle about it tonight.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
as of 510pm local time most flights are landing still. which means foreign cariers perceive it to be short lived. if they thought its long lasting they wud have diverted
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Does anyone have any info for flights departing from 00:00 onwards? Technically the next calendar day....which hasn't been mentioned yet.

​​​
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Does anyone have any info for flights departing from 00:00 onwards? Technically the next calendar day....which hasn't been mentioned yet.​​​
I can tell you this - given what has happened in the last few days. By the time 00:00, HKG should become a war zone. I would say flights will be cancelled at least until those 06:00 departure/arrival.

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stevie
my biggest concern also. It has an air of serious battle about it tonight.
It does indeed (sadly!) - airport authorities are instructing pax to leave the terminal buildings as soon as possible, which could indicate that something is happening soon.
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Does anyone have any info for flights departing from 00:00 onwards? Technically the next calendar day....which hasn't been mentioned yet.

​​​
Sounds like most likely will be canceled as well

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...bly-12Aug.html
The cancellation period will extend until the morning of tomorrow, Tuesday 13 August

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.