HKG Airport shut down 12 August

Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by percysmith
Given you're SL, try GCC in 6 hours.
What does SL mean and is GCC referring to using the contact number for Persian Gulf region? I’m booked in paid J/F SGN-HKG-ORD leaving SGN Wednesday eve, overnight at Sky City Marriott, then to ORD on 15. I realize (and hope) I may able to fly as booked but what is the best way to reach CX if more cancellations occur? Wait times are expected but any strategies to get through in a reasonable amount of time? It seems like this would be a common question among FTers caught up in this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:38 am
wkc

Originally Posted by sxc

Not sure what is “fake”. The news always said that only those flights where check in had closed would be able to take off, and those flights enroute to HK would be allowed to land. I’m sure there will be exceptions to these general statements.
Lots of fake news have been circulating around social media, including an above poster that mentioned the mobile services and electricity services being cut. The r/HongKong live feed is a good source of quality, curated updates: https://www.reddit.com/live/133sixros7tu5

Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
1. Shops closed/closing (Jardine is sending airport retail staff home)
2. Mobile service cut
3. Electricity cut
Very irresponsible posting
Mobile services, naturally would overload as they are not catered for these kind of traffic volumes at HKIA.

Electricity cut, I can't comment as I am not there
But in a mass protest in a confined area, it's probably protocol to cut gas and electricity for safety reason
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by houstr8male

What does SL mean and is GCC referring to using the contact number for Persian Gulf region?
SL is silver member. I believe GCC is global contact centre or something like that.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:05 am

Any news when the airport is opening again?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:10 am
wkc

Originally Posted by steve.floo
AA intending to resume flight operations 0600 next day.

Source: https://t.co/kkcs89Gcd9

Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
https://news.now.com/mobile/live331a
local news channel with live stream

electricity is there.

in time of stress, dissemination of false information become norm, its hard to resist tempation of forwarding sensational news to fellow friends without first verifying the content. .it because of time of stress is becomes collective responsibility to disseminate factual information free of politial bias
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:35 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by KUL1971
Electricity cut, I can't comment as I am not there
But in a mass protest in a confined area, it's probably protocol to cut gas and electricity for safety reason
I thought they were referring to the aircon, encourage people to leave. There were comments before the airport was the most comfortable of the protest areas.

Probably not lights, as it is more useful to keep them on to identify protesters and also to let incoming passengers leave.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by steve.floo
I reckon the longer this goes on, the longer it will take to get it back up-and-running.
As peaceful as the demonstrations might be, I can't imagine the toilets looking too clean after this clears up (as an example).
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC SL
Coming from my source - it seems that CX did end up having some flights out of HKG including CX846 to JFK, CX113 to AKL (the flight i was supposed to be on!), CX251 to LHR, CX255 to LHR and a few other shorthaul flights.

Wish they didn't just tell me to go home, maybe I would have gotten onto the flight...
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:59 am

Yeah, I've got friends chaperoning a student trip to Thailand that were supposed to return via HKG today. Cathay Pacific managed to get all the students and one teacher out through Macau, but several of the teachers and chaperones are still stuck in Thailand trying to figure out options. It's looking like Cathay Pacific is going to be down for the count for a few days.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold PC Platinum
Booked Business class tomorrow LGW-HKG-MEL

CX "customer service" has been terrible (after you wait an hour to get through), I realise they have major difficulties but treating experienced travellers with contempt is unacceptable. example; continued to tell me my flight is operating even though the inbound LGW flight has been cancelled and refusing to look at any alternatives which means I am running out of time to find something myself

I would have been OW Gold again after this trip, not going to bother now and certainly won't be using CX again in the future which is sad but I guess HK has much bigger issues to worry about
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by boybi
Why don’t the protesters just do it within the city and leave the airport alone? If they want to get sympathy from the international community, this will just backfire on them, as can be seen in comments in the social media.
I agree it won't win them much sympathy, but it will get lots of international attention when a major global airline hub shuts down. They may not have gotten that attention otherwise.

Not saying it's right, but...
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by imnewhere
Coming from my source - it seems that CX did end up having some flights out of HKG including CX846 to JFK, CX113 to AKL (the flight i was supposed to be on!), CX251 to LHR, CX255 to LHR and a few other shorthaul flights.

Wish they didn't just tell me to go home, maybe I would have gotten onto the flight...
I suspect your source is wrong. CX251 and 255 would not have departed by this time (9.15pm) even if there was no disruption.

The only thing I can think is that the flights are departing empty so that they are in position for the return flight from the outport.
glennaa11, wrp96 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC SL
Originally Posted by sxc

I suspect your source is wrong. CX251 and 255 would not have departed by this time (9.15pm) even if there was no disruption.

The only thing I can think is that the flights are departing empty so that they are in position for the return flight from the outport.
My bad for the confusion, this source gave me a list of flights that will depart as normal tonight, including the 2 LHR flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.