FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club-487/)
-   -   Multi Carrier Award Redemption question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1982581-multi-carrier-award-redemption-question.html)

Oneworldflyer64 Aug 11, 19 9:25 pm

Multi Carrier Award Redemption question

HI guys,

I did some looking around but wanted some clarification to how the multi carrier award system is run. I know I'll need 2 non CX flights and up to 5 stopovers in one ticket?

I don't have set dates yet, but I will be in SFO end of September and want to hit up the following cities during my trip there -> SFO/LAX>CLT->PIT->DTW->ITH (not necessarily in this order, but just need to start at SFO and end at ITH with a day or two at each of those cities)

1. Are layovers restricted to 24 hours (I remember reading this somewhere)
2. Is total mileage calculated between SFO / ITH? Or is it the sum of distance between all my layovers?
3. Knowing that I'll need 2 non-CX flights, would my domestic trip be possible? I know North American one world flights are mainly dominated by AA, with the exception of Cathay's YVR->JFK. Is there any other carrier that does any domestic US trip that I can add to my leg? Worst case, I can add a LATAM flight in if it will not affect my overall redemption cost. I'm a little more flexible on the time this trip, but wanted to see if I could save some miles.

Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance and any help would be much appreciated!

ernestnywang Aug 12, 19 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64 (Post 31405627)
HI guys,

I did some looking around but wanted some clarification to how the multi carrier award system is run. I know I'll need 2 non CX flights and up to 5 stopovers in one ticket?

I don't have set dates yet, but I will be in SFO end of September and want to hit up the following cities during my trip there -> SFO/LAX>CLT->PIT->DTW->ITH (not necessarily in this order, but just need to start at SFO and end at ITH with a day or two at each of those cities)

1. Are layovers restricted to 24 hours (I remember reading this somewhere)
2. Is total mileage calculated between SFO / ITH? Or is it the sum of distance between all my layovers?
3. Knowing that I'll need 2 non-CX flights, would my domestic trip be possible? I know North American one world flights are mainly dominated by AA, with the exception of Cathay's YVR->JFK. Is there any other carrier that does any domestic US trip that I can add to my leg? Worst case, I can add a LATAM flight in if it will not affect my overall redemption cost. I'm a little more flexible on the time this trip, but wanted to see if I could save some miles.

Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance and any help would be much appreciated!

I think you are very confused here. A oneworld award requires 2 non-CX, non-KA carriers, not 2 non-CX flights! A domestic US itinerary cannot possibly satisfy this requirement. If Asia Miles is the only "currency" you have, you should just redeem a few one-way tickets (each can contain 2 segments and you can have a stopover in between). AA doesn't have direct PIT-DTW and DTW-IAH flights, so you will need to transit somewhere.

For T class (AA saver availability), you will need:
LAX/SFO-CLT-PIT - 15000 AM
PIT-ORD/PHL-DTW - 10000 AM (other transit points will require more mileage)
DTW-PHL-ITH - 10000 AM
So this is 35000 AM total.

Even if you were able to redeem this itinerary as a oneworld award, the mileage required would have been 35000 AM (if total travelled miles =< 4000 mi) or 60000 AM (if >= 4001 mi), so you would not have saved any miles.

FYI, for Asia Miles, either a regular or a oneworld award, it is always the mileage of all sectors combined that matters.

Oneworldflyer64 Aug 12, 19 8:38 pm

Thank you very much for the clarification, super helpful!