Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
This thread is to discuss the facts and practical implications of the China ruling on airspace and Cathay crew flying through the airspace.

For non-CX impact on travel to HK, please go to this thread in HK/Macau https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...ns-travel.html

If you would like to discuss the political motivations or opinions on this, please go to this thread in OMNI/PR https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html
Print Wikipost

CX Banned (kind of) by China

Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:31 am
Original Poster

CX Banned (kind of) by China

CX is banned from flying through mainland china air space from 11 Aug unless the crew are all registered and assessed by China civil aviation Administration.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: CX Gold
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

SCMP wrong. Not only for flight to mainland china, but also for flights that pass through mainland china
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:39 am

Doesn’t all take offs and landings at HKG need to pass through Chinese airspace?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boybi
Doesnt all take offs and landings at HKG need to pass through Chinese airspace?
nope, hk airspace is adjacent to also taipei and manila controlled air space.

but anyhow this may greatly ddisrupt the service @@
JordanWalker likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by shek3112
SCMP wrong. Not only for flight to mainland china, but also for flights that pass through mainland china
I cannot read Chinese.
But I would not take at face value some personal post, unless there is a clear official source mentioned.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Wouldn't we all love Cathay simply to cancel all flights to China and reroute all the rest away from their airspace?

At the very least I hope that all self-respecting CX/KA crew will call in sick if rostered to China on the grounds that it is not a safe destination for them to fly to.

And this is EXACTLY the point of the protests against the Extradition Bill. Now we see what "Rule By Law" means in China.

Last edited by sxc; Aug 9, 2019 at 11:05 pm Reason: FT Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by christep
Wouldn't we all love Cathay simply to cancel all flights to China and reroute all the rest away from their airspace?

At the very least I hope that all self-respecting CX/KA creww will call in sick if rostyered to China on the grounds that it is not a safe destination for them to fly to.

And this is EXACTLY the point of the protests against the Extradition Bill. Now we see what "Rule By Laaw" means in China.
And those crews will be out of work because CX will bleed and retrench. How many percent of CX’s flight are to China?

Last edited by sxc; Aug 9, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I cannot read Chinese.
But I would not take at face value some personal post, unless there is a clear official source mentioned.
sorry i forgot to post the offical link.. .
??????????????????????
However it's also in Chinese... I'm outside now so cannot translate, but will try to do so when I'm home.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Wouldn't we all love Cathay simply to say "f**k you", cancel all flights to China and reroute all the rest away from their airspace?

At the very least I hope that all self-respecting CX/KA crew will call in sick if rostered to China on the grounds that it is not a safe destination for them to fly to.

And this is EXACTLY the point of the protests against the Extradition Bill. Now we see what "Rule By Law" means in China.
That means rerouting all European flights with around 3 more hours flight time. Not possible.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
That means rerouting all European flights with around 3 more hours flight time. Not possible.
Yes it is - some of them may have to stop for fuel somewhere, but that's no big deal - it's the way it always used to be.
moondog and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:06 am
Suspended

Here's a Google Translate of the CAAC link above:
On August 9, the Civil Aviation Authority issued a major aviation safety risk warning to Hong Kong Cathay Pacific on the safety risks and hidden dangers exposed by Cathay Pacific in a number of recent incidents.

Recently, Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific Airways has been involved in violent shocks and riots, but has not stopped flying activities, as well as malicious disclosure of passenger information, etc., which poses a serious threat to aviation safety, causing adverse social impact and increasing Hong Kong. Incoming aviation safety risks to the Mainland.

In line with the principle of zero tolerance for safety hazards, in order to maintain air transport order, protect passenger safety, and prevent airborne activities from causing damage to third parties in the air, on the ground and on the surface of the water, the Civil Aviation Authority clearly stated to Hong Kong Cathay Pacific in the safety risk warning. Three requirements:

First, since 0:00 on August 10, 2019, all personnel involved in and supporting illegal demonstrations, violent attacks, and excessively aggressive behaviors immediately stopped their flights to the Mainland or carried out activities related to air transportation in the Mainland. All duties;

Second, since 0:00 on August 11, 2019, the identity information of all crew members flying to the Mainland and flying over the Mainland airspace will be submitted to the operation certification body in the Mainland. The flight will not be accepted without approval.

Third, before 0:00 on August 15, 2019, report to the operation certification agency in the Mainland the company's measures to strengthen internal control and improve flight safety and security.

In the next step, the Civil Aviation Administration will regard Hong Kong Cathay Pacific's implementation of the above warning requirements in accordance with the law.

On the same day, the Civil Aviation Bureau instructed the Central and Southern Regional Administration of Civil Aviation to meet with Hong Kong Cathay Pacific.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:07 am

Yes it is - some of them may have to stop for fuel somewhere, but that's no big deal - it's the way it always used to be.
Planes will need to carry more fuel which means fewer cargo or pax, which means higher fuel cost and lower revenue from reduced cargo or pax.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boybi

Planes will need to carry more fuel which means fewer cargo or pax, which means higher fuel cost and lower revenue from reduced cargo or pax.
ya poor CX... They just managed to turn back to profit...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:16 am
Suspended

Some things are more important than profit.
bebert, cmdinnyc, bensyd and 21 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.