Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
This thread is to discuss the facts and practical implications of the China ruling on airspace and Cathay crew flying through the airspace.

For non-CX impact on travel to HK, please go to this thread in HK/Macau https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...ns-travel.html

If you would like to discuss the political motivations or opinions on this, please go to this thread in OMNI/PR https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html
Print Wikipost

CX Banned (kind of) by China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
The market isn't reacting well to China's newly requested requirements for CX. Per Bloomberg, today Cathay shares lost 4.5% to HK$9.84 as of 10:59 a.m., set for the lowest close since June 2009. Swire Pacific Ltd., Cathay’s parent, fell 5.3% to HK$77.50.

Although a ~4-5% drop in one day isn't too extreme, coming close to the lowest share price in 10 years is a disappointing sign. The current relations between Hong Kong and Beijing may be a burden on CX with an unknown outcome.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Cathay Pacific threatens staff with sack

Cathay Pacific threatens staff with sack as shares plummet after Beijing stance on Hong Kong protests:

Looks like things have stepped up a notch--or several.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Message from Rupert Hogg

This is the actual message from Rupert Hogg
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dannyhk
Whether the company can enforce this is a different matter though. Slosar admitted said he couldn't control people's opinions. At the very least CX needs to give the impression it's trying to do something.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Is it true that two pilots have already been sacked?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by triplefives
Whether the company can enforce this is a different matter though. Slosar admitted said he couldn't control people's opinions. At the very least CX needs to give the impression it's trying to do something.
I hope that's how smart CX is playing it. Act tough verbally and rhetorically (what China loves), and then handle with care internally. Sack only if necessary. Do what you can to protect your staff.
flubber and Isochronous like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by dannyhk

This is the actual message from Rupert Hogg
The wording in Hogg's Important Announcement memo is interesting, which mentions disciplinary consequences for those who support or participate in illegal protests. By supporting, someone doesn't have to participate. It will be interesting to see how that is interpreted and followed. Will a social media "like" on an illegal protest indicate support?
Some protests are legal in the police-approved sites at the approved times. That appears to be fair game.

Currently, it doesn't appear the market is convinced this memo and the proposed actions from CX management are sufficient to satisfactorily address the Chinese government's wishes.
flubber likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:47 am

Apple Daily reports suspected sabotage of CX aircraft in china (something to do with emergency o2 tank)
https://hk.finance.appledaily.com/fi...90812/59923258

is it still safe to fly in CX/KA to china?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 18, 2019 at 3:22 am Reason: Remove inflammatory description
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by conde
The wording in Hogg's Important Announcement memo is interesting, which mentions disciplinary consequences for those who support or participate in illegal protests. By supporting, someone doesn't have to participate. It will be interesting to see how that is interpreted and followed. Will a social media "like" on an illegal protest indicate support?
Some protests are legal in the police-approved sites at the approved times. That appears to be fair game.

Currently, it doesn't appear the market is convinced this memo and the proposed actions from CX management are sufficient to satisfactorily address the Chinese government's wishes.
He needs to use the exact language in the directive otherwise it will seem like the company is not following policy. As for the market response, I think it's just fear that some other arbitrary measures will be imposed (one can definitely argue that the measures against CX are arbitrary because other carriers may have pilots who "support" the protests but are exempted from the approved fly list measure).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by triplefives
I think it's just fear that some other arbitrary measures will be imposed (one can definitely argue that the measures against CX are arbitrary because other carriers may have pilots who "support" the protests but are exempted from the approved fly list measure).
I think we all know why that is but that is OMNI territory.

Either way I'm just hoping for some normality to remain at CX for the next 2 months regarding flights, hopefully longer.
That o2 sabotage (if true) is worrisome though.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...-plummet-after

Looks like CX are taking a hard line. Maybe time to start boycotting them.

Does anyone know the CEO's email address or something? I feel like sending a letter saying how much his response pisses me off. I could send to the Marco Polo Diamond but I can't see that going anywhere useful.

CX staff are humans and entitled to do what they like in their time off!

EDIT: I found his Ruperts email address and sent him an email. I suspect he's got rather a lot on his hands today though!
moondog, flubber, Lumpster and 4 others like this.

Last edited by fairhsa; Aug 12, 2019 at 2:24 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by nsolitude
Is it true that two pilots have already been sacked?
According to the BBC, 2 ground staff have been sacked and 1 pilot suspended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49317221
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:34 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Not sure if you consider ?????????? ???????? ??? ??? a credible source, but here you go. This is the same company (Huarong) mentioned by @percysmith.
And now Bloomberg's also confirmed it:

Chinese State-Run Firm Tells Employees to Stop Flying Cathay
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...cathay-pacific
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:36 am
Suspended

Not good for Cathay

https://www.ft.com/content/0899d646-...0-db00d509634e
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I see the biggest threat to be declining traffic if protests continue to escalate, or there is a good old fashioned crackdown. Tourism will plummet, businesses will not send their employees there and companies will relocate. Having to reroute to avoid mainland airspace is a nuisance in comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.