Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

CX 2019 1H profit HK$1.3B (2018 1H: $263m loss), rev $53B (up 0.8%)

CX 2019 1H profit HK$1.3B (2018 1H: $263m loss), rev $53B (up 0.8%)

Old Aug 6, 19, 10:29 pm
  #1  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,488
CX 2019 1H profit HK$1.3B (2018 1H: $263m loss), rev $53B (up 0.8%)

http://www2.hkej.com/landing/mobArticle2/id/2213764

https://www1.hkexnews.hk/listedco/li...0190807105.pdf
percysmith is online now  
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:32 am
  #2  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,488
Massive fuel savings ($1.2B less)
percysmith is online now  
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:47 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Posts: 235
Does this mean that cabin crew will not be crucified for taking a bottle of water with them off the plane?!
flubber is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:49 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by flubber View Post
Does this mean that cabin crew will not be crucified for taking a bottle of water with them off the plane?!
They'll have the CCTV footage of them stealing the bottle posted around the office to set an example.
sparkj is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:09 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SFO/HKG
Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 402
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Massive fuel savings ($1.2B less)
Amazing what happens when one doesn't lose their shirt when hedging fuel.
triplefives is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:49 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,590
Haven't they always been profitable when removing the fuel hedge loss, which has now expired?


Still i wonder if anyone lost their job over that.
1010101 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 2:04 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX
Posts: 1,579
Originally Posted by 1010101 View Post
Haven't they always been profitable when removing the fuel hedge loss, which has now expired?


Still i wonder if anyone lost their job over that.
Weren't people actually promoted after this incident? And wasn't Rupert Hogg himself actually involved in the fuel hedging fiasco back when it happened?
CX HK is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 2:44 am
  #8  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,488
"Total fuel costs for Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon (before the effect of fuel hedging) decreased by HK$674 million (or 4.5%) compared with the first half of 2018, reflecting a 6.5% decrease in average into-plane fuel prices and a 2.0% increase in consumption. Fuel is the Group’s most significant cost, accounting for 28.2% of total operating costs in the first half of 2019 (compared to 30.1% in the same period in 2018). Fuel hedging losses were reduced. After taking fuel hedging into account, fuel costs decreased by HK$1,213 million (or 7.7%) compared with the first half of 2018. Fuel consumption per available tonne kilometre fell by 1.5%, reflecting the continued introduction of more fuel efficient aircraft."
percysmith is online now  
Old Aug 7, 19, 2:59 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,590
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
"Total fuel costs for Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon (before the effect of fuel hedging) decreased by HK$674 million (or 4.5%) compared with the first half of 2018, reflecting a 6.5% decrease in average into-plane fuel prices and a 2.0% increase in consumption. Fuel is the Groupís most significant cost, accounting for 28.2% of total operating costs in the first half of 2019 (compared to 30.1% in the same period in 2018). Fuel hedging losses were reduced. After taking fuel hedging into account, fuel costs decreased by HK$1,213 million (or 7.7%) compared with the first half of 2018. Fuel consumption per available tonne kilometre fell by 1.5%, reflecting the continued introduction of more fuel efficient aircraft."
That's quite interesting. They've taken 4 A350s and removed 2 772s and 2 77Ws in that time period? It's a big difference for a relatively small fleet change.
1010101 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,108
Maybe they can afford to stop serving slop in the lounges and in J cabins now.
Isochronous is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 2:04 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 314
What will be the impact of loading for CX flights? There are reports that tourist arrival is down in June/July.
sbs2716g is online now  
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:39 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: CRK MNL
Programs: CX MPC Silver
Posts: 864
Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
What will be the impact of loading for CX flights? There are reports that tourist arrival is down in June/July.
And China state run firms prohibiting their employees from flying CX.
boybi is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:04 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 83
There's some serious hypocrisy going on here. Anyone flying to China should boycott HX and fly CX instead (assuming the flights still run) because HX is benefiting from effectively being an SOE. Lets see if anything happens if 1 HX pilot or cabin crew is arrested... I highly doubt anything will. I personally will NOT be stepping onto any Mainland carrier or HX for the rest of the year.
Isochronous and flubber like this.
cx4ever is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:41 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,108
Originally Posted by cx4ever View Post
There's some serious hypocrisy going on here. Anyone flying to China should boycott HX and fly CX instead (assuming the flights still run) because HX is benefiting from effectively being an SOE. Lets see if anything happens if 1 HX pilot or cabin crew is arrested... I highly doubt anything will. I personally will NOT be stepping onto any Mainland carrier or HX for the rest of the year.
Or even better, go to TPE instead and spend big there.
cx4ever likes this.
Isochronous is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread