Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I get a massage?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
How do I get a massage?

Whenever I turn up in the Pier and try and get a massage, they are full. Today I turned up 4 hours before my flight and they were STILL full. And closed over an hour before my flight. Is there some special magic?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:13 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Whenever I turn up in the Pier and try and get a massage, they are full. Today I turned up 4 hours before my flight and they were STILL full. And closed over an hour before my flight. Is there some special magic?
Yes, (they're always full,) so patience and a request to be placed on standby (as many people do cancel,) is the key. 4 hours should be enough, but it depends on the time of day. I've had 6 hour layovers where I just got the massage in before having to get to the gate to board.

Enjoy.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Arrive at 7AM for a 11PM flight!
Sozee likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If you don’t get a massage, you’re not missing much really.
Sohoboy likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
If you don’t get a massage, you’re not missing much really.
Depends on the person. But you are missing something you could have gotten for free! So, to some people, YES!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:03 am

The massage service at the Pier is really underwhelming...I don't know if it's the facility or the staff (maybe both), but CX definitely needs to do something to improve the massage service.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by agjil
The massage service at the Pier is really underwhelming...I don't know if it's the facility or the staff (maybe both), but CX definitely needs to do something to improve the massage service.
or not offer it at all.

They can also restrict it to those holding F boarding passes.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I recall when The Pier re-opened the massage included a neck/back AND foot massage, with each session I think 30 minutes. That really was very enjoyable. Nowadays, the 20-min back/neck OR foot OR eye treatment is more of a diversion during a long layover than anything.

Employees have told me that at one point they asked CX to open one of the dayrooms in the back beyond the showers as a massage space, but the idea was rejected. They also said there isn't space in The Wing (although I think there are certainly plenty of areas that could be re-purposed). I understand that CX only has a specific budget for this, but I can see how the long wait times can ultimately generate a lot of frustration. I don't get why more often than not there is only one masseur/masseuse on duty when they could accommodate three guests in the spa area if they so desired, especially during peak hours.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by daniellam

or not offer it at all.

I like the idea of providing massages to F pax only, just like how TG does it, although TG's massage service is at a different level compared to CX.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:30 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by agjil
My attitude is that any massage is better than none. Of course, as long as they don't break anything. Seriously, the neck, back, and shoulder is good enough and the foot massage is fine if you've been sitting too long, though I've been spoiled by my Thai GF who is a trained Thai Medical Massage Therapist. There is a difference.
As an aside, I was at the QF SYD FC lounge recently and got a 20 minute facial right away, at about 8AM after arriving from LAX. It was pretty good and including a scalp and neck massage.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by daniellam

or not offer it at all.

Or at the very least allow those holding F boarding passes to reserve in advance. BA manages to do this for F class passengers at the Elemis Spa at T5. The rest just have to turn up and see what availability is like.
Isochronous and flubber like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
QF F pax are treated the same - you get a phone call the day before your flight asking if you'd like to book a massage at SYD or MEL F Lounge if you are departing form there.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:57 pm

As an aside, I was at the QF SYD FC lounge recently and got a 20 minute facial right away, at about 8AM after arriving from LAX. It was pretty good and including a scalp and neck massage.
Yeah the massage they provide at the SYD QF F lounge is pretty good.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Originally Posted by jiaotze
I recall when The Pier re-opened the massage included a neck/back AND foot massage, with each session I think 30 minutes. That really was very enjoyable. Nowadays, the 20-min back/neck OR foot OR eye treatment is more of a diversion during a long layover than anything.

Employees have told me that at one point they asked CX to open one of the dayrooms in the back beyond the showers as a massage space, but the idea was rejected. They also said there isn't space in The Wing (although I think there are certainly plenty of areas that could be re-purposed). I understand that CX only has a specific budget for this, but I can see how the long wait times can ultimately generate a lot of frustration. I don't get why more often than not there is only one masseur/masseuse on duty when they could accommodate three guests in the spa area if they so desired, especially during peak hours.
May be it's license issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.