Fast Track Arrival/Departure Kuala Lumpur?

Old Jul 28, 19, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Fast Track Arrival/Departure Kuala Lumpur?

Similar to BKK does CX off J passengers a fast track for arrival and departure or is the only recourse to use the not too badly priced VIP arrival services? And for the latter would you book ahead or pay when you see the touts?

I do like the VIP KLIA Airport Express option but I don't see that tied into the clearing immigration and customs side of things being linked at all.
Old Jul 28, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: AY Plat, HH D, BW DS
KLIA has dedicated immigration lanes for business/first class passengers, both arriving and departing. Boarding pass is enough to access, although yellow passes are occasionally handed out (perhaps to remind people they can indeed use the fast track).

Departure security is handled at gates, with no priority queues. Sometimes can cause long waits if two widebody flights are leaving at the same time from gates next to each other.
DiamondMile and infinitium like this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuloL View Post
KLIA has dedicated immigration lanes for business/first class passengers, both arriving and departing. Boarding pass is enough to access, although yellow passes are occasionally handed out (perhaps to remind people they can indeed use the fast track).

Departure security is handled at gates, with no priority queues. Sometimes can cause long waits if two widebody flights are leaving at the same time from gates next to each other.
I wonder who thought of having every one of 50-100 gates in a huge airport set up to screen passengers? What a strange system.

At a long haul gate (like a 777 departure) how many X-ray machines etc., are at the gate? Just one?

Though I'd be going to HKG so maybe not that many. I think it's all KA flights, might be wrong.

New question: is the KLIA airport express similar to HKG? I am thinking at the arrivals end downtown is there a sensible queue of taxi to hotels? I see a VIP service where it looks to me like a porter goes with you and your bags aboard the train itself to the terminal in KL and then you are put in a "chauffeur driven" car which I bet is an Uber more or less. It is not hugely expensive vis-a-vis hailing a cab if they are organized at the terminus, but I have no idea of what a cab would be to say a major downtown hotel, Sheraton, W, Marriott, etc.
Old Jul 28, 19, 10:08 pm

Programs: AY Plat, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
I wonder who thought of having every one of 50-100 gates in a huge airport set up to screen passengers? What a strange system.

At a long haul gate (like a 777 departure) how many X-ray machines etc., are at the gate? Just one?

Though I'd be going to HKG so maybe not that many. I think it's all KA flights, might be wrong.

New question: is the KLIA airport express similar to HKG? I am thinking at the arrivals end downtown is there a sensible queue of taxi to hotels? I see a VIP service where it looks to me like a porter goes with you and your bags aboard the train itself to the terminal in KL and then you are put in a "chauffeur driven" car which I bet is an Uber more or less. It is not hugely expensive vis-a-vis hailing a cab if they are organized at the terminus, but I have no idea of what a cab would be to say a major downtown hotel, Sheraton, W, Marriott, etc.
It's two x-ray machines per two gates. So at best, 2 per 1 flight, at worst, 2 per 2 flights. In any case, it's slow. With the current structure that doesn't allow separation of arriving and departing passengers, that's probably the only way to do security.

KUL is indeed practically all KA nowadays.

KLIA Express is similar, with perhaps a bit more walking at ends. The end point is KL Sentral, and it's easy to get taxis outside the main entrance there as well. I always use Grab myself. 10-20 MYR should get you to most downtown hotels with Grab, and I assume the normal taxi prices are similar.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 6:14 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
KLIA Express is similar, with perhaps a bit more walking at ends. The end point is KL Sentral, and it's easy to get taxis outside the main entrance there as well. I always use Grab myself. 10-20 MYR should get you to most downtown hotels with Grab, and I assume the normal taxi prices are similar.
To add to this, at KL Sentral, you buy taxi coupons before you exit to the taxi queue area. They price it according to where you're going. You can choose the red "budget" taxis or the blue ""executive" taxis which are like SUVs with air con and more comfortable, more expensive of course. Most red taxis look like they're falling apart and small so I would avoid them if you have a couple large luggage. Red and blue taxis have different counters to buy the coupons. I haven't used them for some time now so I'm not sure if the process is still the same but look out for those.

But I agree Grab is an excellent alternative and you'll want to have it on your phone for your other trips within KL.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

As long as I can get a SIM before arriving at Sentral, Grab would be fine.

Though first time, this KLIA service might be a reasonable expense. It costs RM155 (so 100 over the train alone) which is less than I pay just for a car service at home to the airport, and pays for the train, porter and taxi at Sentral. So 100 more for the service vs. just the train fare. To me that's not bad.
Old Jul 29, 19, 9:36 pm

I'd summarize the choice of KL Sentral aerotrain, or Grab car, down to the simple question of cost: if it's a personal trip, I'd just do Grab.
If it's a biz trip, I'd use the KLIA express aerotrain to get into town, then Grab/taxi my way to my final destination.

If fuss-free convenience takes utmost priority, then I'd just Grab my way to my final destination (so I don't have to bother with trudging bags from KL Sentral drop-off aerotrain point, to the Grab pickup location).
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by infinitium View Post
I'd summarize the choice of KL Sentral aerotrain, or Grab car, down to the simple question of cost: if it's a personal trip, I'd just do Grab.
If it's a biz trip, I'd use the KLIA express aerotrain to get into town, then Grab/taxi my way to my final destination.

If fuss-free convenience takes utmost priority, then I'd just Grab my way to my final destination (so I don't have to bother with trudging bags from KL Sentral drop-off aerotrain point, to the Grab pickup location).
Grab from the airport 60 km to downtown is competitive with the train? I'm asking because when I travelled on business the cost was irrelevant, taxi vs. car or train, and I think you might be saying the opposite.

I was thinking this VIP thing looks like a fair compromise - RM100 for a navigator and a car awaiting when off the train.
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:41 am

You could simply do the best of both worlds - pre-book your KLIA Express ticket online with a credit card, and get the RM100 return deal (head from KLIA to Sentral via Aerotrain, and back via Grab).

My point earlier was...if you're on a biz trip.... costs probably isn't that big of a concern to you. And I'd imagine convenience and fuss-free connectivity would be more important to you. That's why I was recommending, if you're on biz travel, to just take a Grab to your final destination. Point to point, and hassle free.
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:51 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Grab charges a fixed price for all trips from KLIA to the city. Standard grab car - 65RM + tolls. grab car plus (slightly newer cars) - 75RM + tolls. Premium cars like a Toyota Camry goes for - 155RM + tolls. Tolls should not cost more than 12RM.

The thing about grab car is, it's really the draw of the luck. You can get really ...... and beat up cars. On the other hand, the point-2-point hassle free convenience is worth considering.

The airport operated cars are I think between 100-120RM, and are decent cars.
Old Jul 31, 19, 7:59 am

I believe Grab is cheaper than the train when you have two people. And significantly more convenient.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:12 pm

Last edited by KaraWai; Feb 6, 20 at 4:52 pm
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:39 pm

I fail to comprehend why people would want to take the KLIA Express followed by taxi to hotel, with walking and waiting in between, especially for solo passenger. Isnít it more convenient to pay marginally extra $10-15 and take a budget KLIA limo straight to hotel? For me, KLIA Express only makes sense if Iím staying at a KL Sentral hotel - Aloft, Hilton, Le Meridien, etc.
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:51 pm

HellO! Could you please let me know where are the lanes for business/first class passengers? I was in business class twice for my last two trips to KLIA and i waited in immigration lane for an hour. I will look for the priority lane in the next trip. I cannot believe i missed that.
Old Feb 6, 20, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP & Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globlalist
Originally Posted by KaraWai View Post
HellO! Could you please let me know where are the lanes for business/first class passengers? I was in business class twice for my last two trips to KLIA and i waited in immigration lane for an hour. I will look for the priority lane in the next trip. I cannot believe i missed that.
It's in the middle-left part of the immigration (right part of the immigration hall is for Malaysian MM2H/PR/passport holders, left is for foreigners and its just to the left as you are walking towards the main immigration hall).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: