FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Upgraded to First (...kinda) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1979131-upgraded-first-kinda.html)

cmiller11101 Jul 19, 2019 3:52 am

Upgraded to First (...kinda)

On Wednesday I flew CX654 BKK-HKG. About two hours before the flight I got an email saying my seat had been renumbered. I assumed there was an equipment swap and I was going to be stuck on a 2-2-2 or the dreaded 2-3-2 seating configuration aircraft type instead of the preferred 1-2-1. As I had gone out of my way to book a 1-2-1 config flight, I was a little disappointed.

I called CX reservations to ask if they had any info, and all they could see was my old seat... strange, I thought.

It was a short flight, so I didn't really care that much...

When I got to the aircraft, however, I had a nice surprise in store! As has been recently announced, CX no longer operates First Class on some routes but they still use the aircraft with First class seating configuration. A lucky few passengers will be upgraded, probably only us Diamond members. Sure enough, I was in luck:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8434605be.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...292d8427f.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c3502f51c.jpeg

wyskevin Jul 19, 2019 8:43 am

Early this afternoon, I also got an email to inform me that my seat was changed to 2K on flight tomorrow evening from HKG to KHH by KA. Nothing excited because KA F seat is just CX J seat. But, still appreciate this kind offer.

It is quite common that CX/KA “ upgrade “ DM in J to the first class seat when first class is not sold and only provide J services

midlevels Jul 19, 2019 9:41 am

Not just DM, but also GO and GO's travelling companions too.

ernestnywang Jul 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by cmiller11101 (Post 31319873)
I called CX reservations to ask if they had any info, and all they could see was my old seat... strange, I thought.

After T-48, seat changes may only happen in the check-in system and will not be reflected in the PNR. You can view accurate seat assignment in the online check-in page.

Gabrca Jul 20, 2019 12:56 am

I was on the reverse flight on Thursday. Seat map didn’t show F seats in J, but Expert Flyer showed a 4 class 77W operating. A quick call to CX and was assigned a F seat about 5 days before departure. I am a one world emerald but don’t know if that made a difference.

Interesting to point out that while the menu and amenities were J, service was F. Curtains closed during the flight, individual notes handed out to passengers and J cabin held back on arrival.

All in all a great flight!

wyskevin Jul 20, 2019 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Gabrca (Post 31322951)
I was on the reverse flight on Thursday. Seat map didn’t show F seats in J, but Expert Flyer showed a 4 class 77W operating. A quick call to CX and was assigned a F seat about 5 days before departure. I am a one world emerald but don’t know if that made a difference.

Interesting to point out that while the menu and amenities were J, service was F. Curtains closed during the flight, individual notes handed out to passengers and J cabin held back on arrival.

All in all a great flight!

1. confirmed F seat 5 days before? That was pretty early.

2. Is there any amenity for such a short flight?

Dr. HFH Jul 20, 2019 5:56 am

Originally Posted by cmiller11101 (Post 31319873)
On Wednesday I flew CX654 BKK-HKG. About two hours before the flight I got an email saying my seat had been renumbered. I assumed there was an equipment swap and I was going to be stuck on a 2-2-2 or the dreaded 2-3-2 seating configuration aircraft type instead of the preferred 1-2-1. As I had gone out of my way to book a 1-2-1 config flight, I was a little disappointed.

It was a short flight, so I didn't really care that much...

When I got to the aircraft, however, I had a nice surprise in store! As has been recently announced, CX no longer operates First Class on some routes but they still use the aircraft with First class seating configuration. A lucky few passengers will be upgraded, probably only us Diamond members. Sure enough, I was in luck:

It's actually been like this for years, usually the result of last minute aircraft substitution. You sit in F but get J food. It's happened to me a number of times between BKK and HKG over the years, but only ex-HKG.

MSPeconomist Jul 20, 2019 6:21 am

Aren't those F flowers in the wall vase in the OP's photos?

QRC3288 Jul 20, 2019 6:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31323408)
Aren't those F flowers in the wall vase in the OP's photos?

IME even when F is served as J, the flowers are often there. Also IME, the amenities are often F class (Aesop).

i think this will change with the upcoming elimination of regional F. As well as the closed curtains / extra staff, mentioned above (also a nice perk). Based on what has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum, it sounds like it will become more like the KA "F served as J" or "j served as Y" situation.

CX had kinda done this hybrid, where staffing levels were for F and it was served as F just with J food. The best flight I've had in a long time was SYD-HKG earlier this year as such. Me and Mrs QRC, plus two others (one DM one GO IIRC) had F to ourselves and superb service. Curtains closed, dine on demand (with J food), ate together with the extender, pax even sent back to "J' trying to use the "F" bathroom! Aesop in the bathroom. 2 crew just for "F".

My guess is that situation goes away when the rostering levels change.