Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes you'd like to made at AM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD, A3 GLD, TK GLD, UA SIL, HILTON DIA, HYATT DIA, IHG PA, MR GLD, ACCOR PLT, SPG GLD
Changes you'd like to made at AM

What changes would you guys wanted AM to make to turn it into a better program?

For one, I think the online redemption system should be much improved and support more partners like Air China and Shenzhen Airlines. For those of us who live in the mainland, it makes it difficult to use AM having to phone in everytime and wait to redeem for a short domestic flight.

Also I'd like to see more local partners for those of us who live outside of HK. AM is still too geared towards the HKG market, but not much awareness in the mainland China area.

What do you guys think?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by pjf66
For one, I think the online redemption system should be much improved and support more partners like Air China and Shenzhen Airlines. For those of us who live in the mainland, it makes it difficult to use AM having to phone in everytime and wait to redeem for a short domestic flight.
I do believe this is on purpose.

Nevertheless, CX is not as large as others. So it is not a surprise that CX will not dump more resources unless the division (loyalty program) can earn more revenues.

Originally Posted by pjf66
Also I'd like to see more local partners for those of us who live outside of HK. AM is still too geared towards the HKG market, but not much awareness in the mainland China area.
These local partners could join OW FWIW.

Also - AM is really a Hong Kong based program. It is similar to PhoenixMiles, which is a Mainland based program. Even with the addition of Air Macau, PhoenixMiles's approach is still pro-Mainland without any approach towards Macau.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Waive rebook/ reissue fee for MPC elite members.
Many airlines have done this already
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:07 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wyskevin
Waive rebook/ reissue fee for MPC elite members.
Many airlines have done this already
I agree. This is ridiculous.

Additionally, it'll be nice if they'll charge the online fees or waive it altogether for changes made through telephone when the website can't handle your request.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
1. allow Group tickets (booking class G) to earn Asia Miles and Club Points
2. allow MPC Tier bonuses on J and F (and even W) mileage earn-able tickets
3. introduce a Peak and Off-Peak mileage redemption requirement on some Popular routes
4. allow non-airline partners to earn miles in lieu of discounts provided by shop partners (like earning miles while enjoying 10% off)
5. persuade Hang Seng Bank to allow their credit cards (including co-branded cards and Hong Kong Jockey Club (HKJC) membership cards) to convert Cash Dollars / JC Dollars / Merchant Dollars to Asia Miles
6. allow transferring miles to redemption group at a lower cost
7. enable more gererous waiting lists on CX / KA Flights on Z and U
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Change award waitlist expiration to T-24 hours as it seems like lately award space suddenly comes available right after the waitlist expires.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
What is AM?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
What is AM?
Asia Miles.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I'm not sure if I completely understand how redemption groups work. If my reading is correct, per Q48 at https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...sia-miles.html, while MPO élite members can replace as many nominees as they want, they would still have to pay for the service fee (except DMs get one free), right? I hope CX can allow all MPO élite members to be able to replace for their redemption group nominees for free. Perhaps one free "reset" per year would be fair.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:34 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I'm not sure if I completely understand how redemption groups work. If my reading is correct, per Q48 at https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...sia-miles.html, while MPO élite members can replace as many nominees as they want, they would still have to pay for the service fee (except DMs get one free), right? I hope CX can allow all MPO élite members to be able to replace for their redemption group nominees for free. Perhaps one free "reset" per year would be fair.
My understanding is mileage sellers are more likely to be non-MPO AM so the three names/year rule was put in to kurb their sales activities.

As for whether there should be more fee waivers for MPO members, I could not comment. BAEC lets you write in any name you want but then again CX basically all but banned them on O/D HKG redemptions.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith
My understanding is mileage sellers are more likely to be non-MPO AM so the three names/year rule was put in to kurb their sales activities.
This is exactly what I'm thinking, too. After all, for a loyal, long-term member, I think it is reasonable that once in a while we should be given the chance to refresh the list. Who knows, maybe someone has their ex-boyfriends and / or ex-girlfriends on the list (this doesn't apply to me, seriously, just saying).

In my case, I've been a loyal member since 2001, and I have 4 people on the list now. At some point, I may need a 6th.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Jul 21, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Something which is impossible, go back to what it was before they screwed it all up.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by synthkeys
Change award waitlist expiration to T-24 hours as it seems like lately award space suddenly comes available right after the waitlist expires.
KF just went the other way https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sing...l#post31268045

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
. At some point, I may need a 6th.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1131635
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Nobody sane would want to redeem AM for Shenzhen Airlines or Air China. Making that easier is not going to make anyone like AM more.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Nobody sane would want to redeem AM for Shenzhen Airlines or Air China. Making that easier is not going to make anyone like AM more.
No. We'd consider ZH for Japan flights on peak days. Esp Easter or Christmas where we have holiday and PRC doesn't.

But my understanding is that ZH on AM can only redeem for CN/HK/TW (need Phoenixmiles for Japan)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.