Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles sweetspots from Vancouver, Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I did a bit of research and it seems like YVR-JFK is a good redemption in J at 50k AM. However, redemption level is similar to Avios? Still a good deal?

Any other suggestions on the best redemption for someone based in YVR?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Seriously, go to Hong Kong.

50k miles in business is very standard in the N. America region. There is nothing really that sweet.
moondog and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Seriously, go to Hong Kong.

50k miles in business is very standard in the N. America region. There is nothing really that sweet.
Wow! 50k AM round-trip in J for YVR-HKG? If so, that's awesome.

Does CX release more award space for its own program compared to Avios or Alaska?

Is it possible to search for award space without any Asia Miles?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
Wow! 50k AM round-trip in J for YVR-HKG? If so, that's awesome.
We all wish that happens. But no - 60K AM for Y.

Unless you need to take care of business in New York, it is not worth it to take YVR-JFK with CX because it is extremely overpriced, according to Google (like double).

Does CX release more award space for its own program compared to Avios or Alaska?
FT reports that partner awards are generally easier to book than AM.

Is it possible to search for award space without any Asia Miles?
Yes - you simply need the account. No mile is needed in the account.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We all wish that happens. But no - 60K AM for Y.

Unless you need to take care of business in New York, it is not worth it to take YVR-JFK with CX because it is extremely overpriced, according to Google (like double).

FT reports that partner awards are generally easier to book than AM.

Yes - you simply need the account. No mile is needed in the account.
Sorry, I totally misread your post! It's disappointing to read that it's harder to book awards with AM than with its partners. So are there any advantages to AM for someone flying out of YVR? If Avios is better for flying CX to HKG, then I'm not sure what's the point of AM then.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So are there any advantages to AM for someone flying out of YVR?
Upgrade?

If Avios is better for flying CX to HKG, then I'm not sure what's the point of AM then.
AM is never designed to be a worldwide program, but a regional based program (I believe the name Asia Miles speaks for itself). AM's presence in Canada is mainly due to the large population immigration from Hong Kong during the 90s.

Also - the point of AM is being the cash cow for CX, rather than an actual reward program (Note - MPC is the FFP). With the 3-year expiration policy, many AM get expired and forfeited back to CX. Also - many AM award tickets are based on miles earned through credit cards (i.e. a cheque from the banks).

FWIW - it is easier to book funfare than getting an AM award.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Upgrade?

AM is never designed to be a worldwide program, but a regional based program (I believe the name Asia Miles speaks for itself). AM's presence in Canada is mainly due to the large population immigration from Hong Kong during the 90s.

Also - the point of AM is being the cash cow for CX, rather than an actual reward program (Note - MPC is the FFP). With the 3-year expiration policy, many AM get expired and forfeited back to CX. Also - many AM award tickets are based on miles earned through credit cards (i.e. a cheque from the banks).

Ok, that's terrible. I thought AM would be a nice program to transfer some CTY points over as well, but I guess the program is fairly useless then.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, that's terrible. I thought AM would be a nice program to transfer some CTY points over as well, but I guess the program is fairly useless then.
It is not useless if you are able to find the award seat you want. Remember - that's a BIG IF.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It is not useless if you are able to find the award seat you want. Remember - that's a BIG IF.
But that can be said of any program with award availability right? I just looked at the points for redemption and I think I'm probably better off just moving everything to Avios.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that can be said of any program with award availability right? I just looked at the points for redemption and I think I'm probably better off just moving everything to Avios.
No if you rely on this:

https://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-...eport-2019.pdf

While there is always a reliability issue, some programs do deliver what they have promised.

But FWIW - CX is never one of them.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:08 pm

Upgrade?

Jumping in on this thread since I'm pretty new to AM (but have easily acquired a handful of miles through credit card programs). I was hoping to find PHL-DOH-SIN availability but reading a bit more it seems I'd get hit with prohibitively high YQ on Qatar. Since that's off the table, I was considering PHL-BOS-HKG-SIN or PHL-ORD-HKG-SIN, but your comment about AM availability makes me pessimistic.

What do you think are the best uses of AM from the US (east coast esp.?) BA to Europe with some (but not exorbitant) YQ? Anything else?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:43 pm

As a cash ticket, YVR-JFK on CX is actually perfectly competitive with other nonstops (at the times when they exist); the one-stops are pretty grueling, with the options being an 11+ hour day flight, or a 7-plus-hour flight that requires a later-evening connection in PDX. There is often some AM availability in Y...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jing Xian Ng
What do you think are the best uses of AM from the US (east coast esp.?) BA to Europe with some (but not exorbitant) YQ? Anything else?
My purpose is not trying to trash AM (even it sounds like I am). But anyone who have ever try to find an AM award will know the PITA about AM. Nevertheless, AFAICT, the following would be the best use of AM:

1. AM Upgrade.
2. Partner award on AA domestic.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
You can do YVR-HKG-SEA in J w/ 85k miles... just saying(because technically it's an one-way from YVR to SEA with a HKG stopover).
tentseller likes this.

Last edited by eddiehuang97; Jul 21, 2019 at 12:31 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:12 am

So I'm on the east coast of Canada and I see I can do BOS-HKG (stop) -YYZ in J for 85k. This seems too good to true frankly. Is this a possible intinerary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.