Any sale/ cheap ex-eu J tickets ?

Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
What are your thoughts on the 777 J seats ? It doesn't look like we get direct isle access which is the DOH to HKG route but the EDI to DHO on the A350 has nice seats. Just thinking if it is worth the travel from GLA to EDI
HKG is typically scheduled to get the Qsuite on QR817/818 and QR815/816, but it's not guaranteed and swaps can happen.

That said, the QR 777 with the 2+2+2 configuration is very spacious and a comfortable seat. Quite outdated and lacking privacy, for sure. But it's a comfortable seat. If traveling alone, I'd go with either a window (for privacy) or one of the center seats (for aisle access).
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I just checked and it is Ł3200 - what did you get quoted ?

I was Ł2599 for the 11th, but on checking doesn't appear to be available at that price now , that date, although it is available from LHR a few days earlier
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Following flights on Cathay are available on your dates. All one stop via LHR (using BA for the intra-european flights):

ARN-HKG 2670 GBP
CPH-HKG 2200 GBP
OSL-HKG 1990 GBP

Bookable directly on CX's website.
AceCobra1 likes this.

Last edited by AJ747M; Jul 16, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: FB, MM, QR
Keep in mind that QR flies to Belgrade with their regional jets that have reclining seats. Nice, but with over two hours of flying to get there, not worth a 100.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJ747M
Following flights on Cathay are available on your dates. All one stop via LHR (using BA for the intra-european flights):

ARN-HKG 2670 GBP
CPH-HKG 2200 GBP
OSL-HKG 1990 GBP

Bookable directly on CX's website.
Thanks - just looking at the OSL - HKG route. I noticed one of the routes involves OSL - LHR - HKG @ Ł2400 - but I would need to book a separate ticket from GLA to OSL which will involve me flying to GLA - LHR - OSL lol. Is there any way to avoid flying GLA - LHR - OSL - LHR - HKG i.e. flying to heathrow twice in 1 leg ? I don't understand why OSL - LHR - HKG yeilds a cheaper fair than one that flies directly to HKG from LHR
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:08 am

Thanks - just looking at the OSL - HKG route. I noticed one of the routes involves OSL - LHR - HKG @ Ł2400 - but I would need to book a separate ticket from GLA to OSL which will involve me flying to GLA - LHR - OSL lol. Is there any way to avoid flying GLA - LHR - OSL - LHR - HKG i.e. flying to heathrow twice in 1 leg ? I don't understand why OSL - LHR - HKG yeilds a cheaper fair than one that flies directly to HKG from LHR

Competition. Non-stop versus Stops. Different markets. (And Im sure Ive missed a few points)
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
What are your thoughts on the 777 J seats ? It doesn't look like we get direct isle access which is the DOH to HKG route but the EDI to DHO on the A350 has nice seats. Just thinking if it is worth the travel from GLA to EDI
On the 777, if you pick the middle seats (2-2-2) you will be fine, the seats themselves are quite nice.
now keep in mind, they are refitting some of their 777, I have a flight from ATL to Doha on the A350, nice and DOH to BOM on a 777 which according their own seat map shows 1-2-1
Enjoy your trip no matter on whom you fly... J is always better then coach
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
With the exception of Qsuite, I'd pick CX over QR any day. The food is better on CX, although I imagine the inverse would be true if you prefer western food. In my experience, the crew is usually more personable on CX which I really value. And transiting in Doha is pretty terrible at peak hours.

That said, both are really, really good.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Give the Guy a break he wants to fly with CX.
What's with you all pushing QR so hard - you cant all work for them !
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Although so many people recommend QR, I still wouldnt try it.
Not because of the airlines itself, but the location of QR's hub (all ME3 have this issue.)

Personally I prefer to fly 12, 13 hours from HKG to Europe, plus 1 or 2 hours connection to other destinations rahter than transferring via Qartar with two 6~8 hours flights.
One 12 or 13 hours flight would bring me more rest/sleep and enjoy the onboard dining..
AceCobra1 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'm not sure where in Europe other than LGW and DUB where CX deploy their A350s, but for me getting a 787 or 350 (or 380, but CX don't have any) is now a priority - the quality of the air onboard on modern aircraft is a key consideration. The last CX 777 I did from HKG to LHR I felt so ill at the end of the journey despite being in the J mini cabin and drinking plenty of non-alcoholic drinks.

QRs routes across Europe have plenty of 787/350 options although subject to the lottery of aircraft swaps.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Looking to fly ex eu to cts via Hkg with cx in early feb 2020. Any rough ideas when the next seat might be for flights next year. Saw some great deals in the last 3 months but all gone...is there also a prefered route with the newst equipment? Sorry..lots of questions.

Does CX even have sales? Many thanks everyone
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Did ZRH-HKG on Q-Suite a couple months ago. It is night and day compare to CX. Seat has more room, dinning table and screen are way bigger. The suite design with your own door provides maximum privacy!

It's also way cheaper than CX. The down side is the journey took a few extra hours.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Id also love to try QR but trying to get to sapporo..if i fly QR then i still have to get to cts from Tyo (which is only destination QR flies into) CX is better timed...one can only dream eh?..lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.