Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Ex-HKG standard econ. meals not produced in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

In Chinese only:

Some cabin crew and catering company staff claiming ex-HKG standard econ. meals now not produced in Hong Kong anymore. They claims produced in China, someone even point out is came from Qingdao as frozen food.

They said CX switched to this method about 1 year ago.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Assuming they stay frozen between the kitchen and HKG what difference does it make?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:45 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'm not for one to buy into PRC food scares (melamine et al)

But presumably more preservatives?

Also, who's heard of gourmet food from the PRC?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Seriously? You don’t think food quality standards are significantly higher outside china? A few years back the Chinese were adding melamine in Milk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008...e_milk_scandal

The Chinese mind only knows profit. They have zero respect for health. Having lived an worked in the region for decades, I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

Cathay is saving a dollar, risking your health.. They will save a dollar and not care.. it’s the new mentality

The company is living on historic reputation. The actual product has been progressively ‘enhanced’ (dimished).

Swire appointments CEO/GM’s cyclically. It is easier to show profit by reducing cost than increasing revenue.. and each new CEO will not move up the Swire ladder if they can’t show a better bottom line.

Battle to the bottom ...
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:59 pm

There's a MASSIVE building on HK airport property called CPCS (Cathay Pacific Catering Services) and people seriously think they aren't producing the meals for Cathay Pacific? That somehow a middleman is cheaper?

Pass the tin foil
flubber likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
CX hand out hot pastries for Y flights to TPE/MNL. Where are those made?
The package of those hot pastries said made in United Arab Emirates.
Sozee likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
There's a MASSIVE building on HK airport property called CPCS (Cathay Pacific Catering Services) and people seriously think they aren't producing the meals for Cathay Pacific? That somehow a middleman is cheaper?
Exactly. China is not that cheap nowadays, as evident in many manufacturers moving their factories to Vietnam (this has been happening for a while now, and not just because of the trade war between China and USA). For CX to have a middleman doesn't make financial sense.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if CX imports most of their ingredients from China.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by winnipegrev

Pass the tin foil
There have a large bottle water factory in Sha Tin for Swire-CocaCola, but the bottle water loaded in CX econ meals is coming from Zhuhai, China
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Assuming they stay frozen between the kitchen and HKG what difference does it make?
In that post, cabin crew and staff of catering company is also complaining the entree covered full of water/moist, seems they haven't defrost it in airport facility but just throw it to cart. It's very dangerous from food hygiene.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:25 am

Not specific to CX, but I generally don't eat when in econ, and this will only ensure I will continue to fast when on Y.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If you live in HK then unless you spend a LOT of money on your food then a very large proportion of it is grown/farmed in China. It's really daft to condemn all food from China.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm not for one to buy into PRC food scares (melamine et al)

But presumably more preservatives?

Also, who's heard of gourmet food from the PRC?
Very fine Chinese gourmet dining too. BUT NOT EXPORTED FROZEN.

Originally Posted by rickywk
There have a large bottle water factory in Sha Tin for Swire-CocaCola, but the bottle water loaded in CX econ meals is coming from Zhuhai, China
The Swire franchise agreement with CocaCola specifically exclude all non-CocaCola branded products. The only water that they can bottle would be Desani spec'd.

Originally Posted by christep
If you live in HK then unless you spend a LOT of money on your food then a very large proportion of it is grown/farmed in China. It's really daft to condemn all food from China.
Not only grown/farmed but also wok ready prep'd in China.
Many restaurants are selling frozen dim sum from that big HK owned dim sum factory in SZ. It is cost effective as the product goes from freezer to steamer without defrosting and the associated spoilage/wastage.
Based upon what I know about this factory I would not be surprised that all Y or PEY meals are prep'd and frozen somewhere and heated on plane.

Last edited by tentseller; Jul 7, 2019 at 2:26 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller

The Swire franchise agreement with CocaCola specifically exclude all non-CocaCola branded products. The only water that they can bottle would be Desani spec'd.
No, same Bonaqua brand. It's from Zhuhai CocaCola company, a joint venture company between Macau Coca-Cola(Swire too) and Chinese company
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Not really, the frozen meat mainly came from Brazil/Canada/US/Australia and EU countries.
Only so-called fresh meat and some frozen food came from China.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by rickywk
Not really, the frozen meat mainly came from Brazil/Canada/US/Australia and EU countries.
Only so-called fresh meat and some frozen food came from China.
And a large proportion of fresh fruit and vegetables, particularly (obviously) the types used in Chinese cuisine. And all sorts of other stuff. For example, the pasta in my cupboard is from China. It's about a third of the price of the cheapest from Italy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.