Wiki Posts
Search

Delsey Helium Aero 19" as carry on

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Question Delsey Helium Aero 19" as carry on

Hi,

I just got a Delsey Helium Aero Hardside 19" (Carry-on international size on amazon.com) and it is a bit larger than Cathay Pacific's cabin baggage limit is 22 x 14 x 9 inches and the suitcase's dimensions are 21.25 x 11.25 x 14.5 inches. Has anyone had any experince with this suitcase as carry-on on a Cathay Pacific flight? Will this be a problem or is it admissible? I can still return it I need to,

I will be travelling SFO -> HKG -> BLR

Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I have to wonder how a 19" suitcase is 21.25 inches long. The length is usually the issue (wheels first) so it's shorter than 22" which is good, and the height (11.25") is not likely to matter if it goes in wheels first. And the width is more or less the right size. I only fly in J but I cannot imagine the overhead bins are smaller in economy if that's where you are headed. My 19" Briggs and Riley is actually 19" and has a lot of space, is it 3"? Maybe. Hard to tell with the door shut.

That said your purchase is bigger in two of three dimensional limits so maybe get one not quite so big.
DiamondMile and spacefiend like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Yup, I'm on economy.

I'm thinking along the same lines. I think I'm going to return this and get a different one.

Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I don't understand your question.
Officially, that case is 21" x 14" x 10" inches
https://shop.delsey.com/product/aero...f-1cfb430bceb7
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Amazon seems to have different dimensions for this. Can't link to it since I'm new to the forum.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Could be the size of the box it's shipped in. Just get one that goes in wheels first. The height could be 2 or 3 inches more and nobody would notice that or the 1/2 width if it goes in and the door closes.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Haven't seen CX ever stopped a hard shell "carry on" case be brought on board. However, girlfriend has been stopped once at gate with a very full Tumi, had to take out things from the front pocket for crew to allow her board, she then put the things back into the tumi after boarding.... didn't really understand the logic behind it.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:07 pm

I own a Helium Titanium 19" spinner...in my hands (with a tape measure) here are its measurements:

21.5" x 14" x 9" (if I squeeze it together it is 9"...if not it's 9.5").

This bag has served me well as carryon for Southwest Airlines...no questions asked. I don't know about Cathay Pacific.

As I recall the other way of talking about size limits is linear inches...check that out, too.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: MPC Silver
Personally I've never had any of my carry-on bags measured.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:03 pm

In a related note, I find it interesting how different air crew have different practices for how you store wheeled bags overhead... on some flights (usually packed ones), crews will ask me to store my wheeled bag overhead in a vertical position. On other flights, I've had no problem slotting my bag overhead in lying down.

But as common courtesy (which isn't so common nowadays), I feel we should all be slotting wheeled bags in vertically on its narrower end, to make space for others.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Haven't seen CX ever stopped a hard shell "carry on" case be brought on board. However, girlfriend has been stopped once at gate with a very full Tumi, had to take out things from the front pocket for crew to allow her board, she then put the things back into the tumi after boarding.... didn't really understand the logic behind it.
In the old days, Asian airlines (not only CX) would always argue that fully stuffed bags are likely to be too heavy for the overhead bins and will pose a safety risk (that the bins will collapse). I've experienced this on CX, SQ, TG, PR, etc. Maybe that was true for the older jets (742, 743, etc)

Today here in the USA, you see passengers jabbing in their overstuffed US-sized carry ons on the overhead bins of an ERJ, let alone a A320. If it does not fit initially, you see the occasional FA helping the guy pound that bag in. And if still that does not work, only will the passenger be asked to gate-check the bag. Imagine the beating that that bin took! And imagine all the other bins with all those overstuffed heavy bags!

I used CX from 2012 to 2017 and I have never been stopped at the gate for having a US-sized carry on (22 inch Victorinox). I flew Y, PEY, C, and F. The 777 bins can never seem to allow carry ons to be stowed in vertical position (because of the curve of the bin). In First, you obviously don't need overhead bins!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.