Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Shanghai PVG lounge opens 18 July 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:19 am
Original Poster

It's been a long wait, but Cathay's made-over (Ilse Crawford-design) Shanghai Pudong lounge is set to reopen in the later half of July 2019
https://www.ausbt.com.au/new-cathay-...ens-this-month

Things to look forward to:
* Noodle Bar
* Dining Room
* 'Improved densification' (quote-unquote!)
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This will include a Noodle Bar and dining room – and potentially a tended bar, should space allow.
If it opens in a few weeks time, I would hope they already know if they have enough space?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:38 am
Original Poster

The 'potential' reflects my not knowing if they ended up with room for this or not, rather than what Cathay knows for sure... we'll know soon enough.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
That's great news. If there's one thing we know CX does well, it's lounges....especially J class lounges.

Thx djsflynn for the update.

To be fair, the MU lounge seemed quite abundant on the few times I visited. Quirky, yes like most mainland lounges, but it really had a lot and I give them good marks! But this will no doubt be a big upgrade over what CX had before.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

A tiny sneak peek at the new CX PVG lounge. Clear influences from not just the Ilse Crawford design palette but there's a bit of The Pier J in this for me, when you consider the part of The Pier J that's well past reception and facing the tarmac.

I'll be interested to see the space and how the extra seating works, as Ilse's designs have generally been based around providing plenty of room for passenger movement and 'flow', especially with cabin bags in tow.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:48 pm

Indeed, this is welcomed news!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by djsflynn
A tiny sneak peek at the new CX PVG lounge. Clear influences from not just the Ilse Crawford design palette but there's a bit of The Pier J in this for me, when you consider the part of The Pier J that's well past reception and facing the tarmac.

I'll be interested to see the space and how the extra seating works, as Ilse's designs have generally been based around providing plenty of room for passenger movement and 'flow', especially with cabin bags in tow.
Indeed, visually there is that Pier J feeling.
Any word whether there will be showers and tended bar or like CX SIN T4 self pour and no showers (you need one if you had a day in SG and take the evening flight back to HKG.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Any word whether there will be showers and tended bar or like CX SIN T4 self pour and no showers (you need one if you had a day in SG and take the evening flight back to HKG.
I have no definitive word on either.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Good to know, as I find CX lounges are usually of higher standard and more homey IMHO.

I think one other port that desperately needs a new lounge is ICN given the number of daily flights CX is operating.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:17 am

I flew on Early June in ICN, I was invited into the newly renovated Asiana West Business Lounge near gate 42, I think it was a contract lounge for OW as well. It was quite nice and I think quite standard to the other OZ lounges, food wise is quite basic, Matina was better.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:14 am
Original Poster

FWIW, and I could be wrong, but I've long suspected that ICN is on the shortlist of new Oneworld-branded lounges.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:32 am
Original Poster

A source has shared these pics which are claimed to be of the CX PVG lounge.

Media preview is the week after next.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
FWIW, and I could be wrong, but I've long suspected that ICN is on the shortlist of new Oneworld-branded lounges.
I think that’s true, though it would not be opened until 2020(?) the earliest.

A source has shared these pics which are claimed to be of the CX PVG lounge.

Media preview is the week after next.
Looks like the same design as the Pier, nice one.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SLGO

Looks like the same design as the Pier, nice one.
Basically all the lounges look the same.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLGO
I think that’s true, though it would not be opened until 2020(?) the earliest.
Yeah, at the Oneworld 20th bash when they revealed plans for Oneworld-branded lounges the CEO said they intended to announce the first mid-year, at IATA, which was of course being held in Seoul, for opening by end of 2019. IATA came and went sans announcement, my info is that 'airport issues' have held up the announcement and as of last month there was still no definite #1... which to me means that ICN is still in there with a good chance, and even if it's not the debutante lounge it could well follow sometime in 2020. Again and of course, I could be wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.