$10,000 for a bed bug nightmare!!!

Old Jan 6, 20, 12:11 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
A few things have struck me, reading this thread (in no particular order):
  • How weird is it that OP took his luggage all the way home and THEN threw it away, when he could have ditched it at the airport or any point along the way? He clearly thought it was infested before he arrived home as he says he paid the driver of the taxi $200 to have it cleaned and says he ditched it before entering his home
  • On that note, since OP (again) clearly thought he was infested, why did he foist himself and his supposedly infested luggage on an innocent and unsuspecting taxi driver? There is nothing in OP's OP that suggests CX knew of the infestation or deliberately foisted bedbugs upon him, but apparently he thinks it's ok to get into another form of public transport and infest the driver and his means of livelihood and potentially take them out of action and deprive that driver of his livelihood for a period. The fact that he bunged this poor innocent a substantial sum of money ($200) suggests that he was well aware of the risk. I hope that sum was sufficient, I really do, especially given that CX may not have been aware (I do not say "weren't aware", we don't have that information) of the alleged infestation but OP, by his own information, clearly was
  • International airports invariably have medical facilities. I appreciate that OP may not have thought of this, and cast no blame in this regard (it is easy to make these comments in the cold light of day, but not in the moment, so I really DON'T cast any blame), but those facing such a situation in the future may wish to consider using those facilities to confirm the problem and, perhaps, the medical officers could have confirmed that the issue was bedbugs and give a likely timeline for the bites, which would no doubt bolster the claimant's case considerably
  • CX initially denied responsibility, according to OP - not particularly creditable, but sadly all too common nowadays. I have myself cited the Montreal Convention in claims against airlines who have tried to obfuscate, quote policy, quote contractual terms (which are ineffective against an international convention) and use all sorts of other dirty tricks. I am in many ways a fan of CX's product offering, and until a few years ago was an ardent fan. More recently I have become a little more jaded and am in no way a CX apologist, but that initial denial does not make them any worse than the vast majority of airlines operating in the world (for the befit of OP and any other people who may feel tempted to hurl the accusation, I am not employed by CX or paid by them for anything whatsoever)
For OP's (and others') benefit I would like to emphasise that I recognise that in the moment it isn't always easy (or even possible) to see the bigger picture. I realise my comments may come across as critical (and I suppose they are), but I make them in the hope that if OP or other readers face a similar situation in the future that perhaps some different choices might be made.

Directly to OP: As I have said, I am no apologist for CX, and probably post more critical comments on them than complimentary ones, but however that balance falls I am truly sorry you had this experience. I hope you recover soon, if you haven't already.
nancypants and eagle215 like this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG View Post
How weird is it that OP took his luggage all the way home and THEN threw it away, when he could have ditched it at the airport or any point along the way?
Because discarding his belonging in an airport or elsewhere can have unintended consequences. For example, an unattended baggage in an airport can be viewed as a severe security threat. Also, it is not necessarily legal to throw your household waste elsewhere. Beside - I do believe that some contents can be saved from the beg bug.

(This did not exactly happen in Hong Kong. So the Hong Kong's way of dealing is kind of irrelevant in this case.)

On that note, since OP (again) clearly thought he was infested, why did he foist himself and his supposedly infested luggage on an innocent and unsuspecting taxi driver?
Then how would you suggest OP getting back home or anywhere else to seek assistance?

FWIW - OP was nice in paying $200 extra to deal with the mess. Many indeed do not care and do things as-is.

International airports invariably have medical facilities.
Airport medical facilities deal with minor issues. With issues like bed bugs, they will simply refer you to an urgent care facility, ER, or your doctor.

Also - these facilities are not always available.
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I still hope the OP would give us a copy of the letter of CX admission of guilt, that he claims.exists.
oldchinahand likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Following a lot of court discovery and disclosures, CX admitted fault as they couldn't deny that the seat was infested.
It's quite easy to write something up here.
Could you maybe cite which court you brought forward the case and what is the case number?
brunos and eagle215 like this.
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
As a nurse, I confess myself surprised that this infestation came from an airline seat. It is extremely rare that these revolting creatures are carried on the person or his garments - so I am wondering how it got aboard or did not spread throughout the aircraft. It just seems odd.

I am wondering whether this occurred aboard or in his hotel or even before. It can take up to 14 days for reactions to show we were taught. Just my thoughts
brunos and eagle215 like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:50 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Similar case Bug Bites on Qantas A380 SYD-LAX ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: