Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Business class slippers and mattress from October 2019

Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...something-more

Just found this from the website. Hope that it is true!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Wow.

Many passengers find Cathays current business class seats a little hard for their liking when used as a bed, and ask for a second duvet to use as a makeshift mattress, adding an extra layer of cushioning.
Yes, indeed, that's what I do on LH routes.

Unfortunately: ".... business class fliers will get a thin mattress topper pad ...".
El Cheapo, please do this the right way, like MH, if needed, charge me $1 for that.......

"... business class fliers will get .... slippers .....", OK, great, something I appreciate from BR, above the CX socks.

"Rivals have or are planning ..... book-the-cook .....": An ISM told me, CX is working on this too, introduction not known, though something like "end of this year (2019)", though it seems to not have made it, for now
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Mattress (even thin) and slippers are excellent needed addition and keep up with competition.
Even BA introduced mattress toppers starting in 2017.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I have seen quite a few times that mainland pax ask for slippers on KA flights....finally I don’t need to get them from Pier or Wing shower
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:26 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I have seen quite a few times that mainland pax ask for slippers on KA flights....finally I dont need to get them from Pier or Wing shower
I expect they wont be available on short haul flights.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
CX was quite silly in providing only socks in J and only slippers in F. They don't serve the same purpose. Each time in F, I have to ask for socks and they are the low quality ones from J.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:41 am

Flying return AUS and HKG in Oct, hope CX considers AUS as long haul destinations. Really looking forward to the mattresses topping and slippers, as both my flights will be red-eye.

Would love to see something like SQs Book the Cook in the future. CX are you listening?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Yay it's about time!! I REALLY hope they use the nice thick ones like AA does - they use CASPER ones and they are really nice. If they use something thin and flimsy like the duvet it won't be all that great.... just flew AA from HKG to LAX and the sleep was definitely better... catering on AA is another story but the sleep was good.

Also dual air vents on AA above each seat are a real plus in J.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
All those slippers are going to generate a ton of waste. I cant imagine many people will keep them for reuse. Hopefully they issued on request only or sealed so they can be reissued if unused.
flubber and hessbo like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
First class to get "thicker" mattress, too

Although the OPs title talks about J class, if you read that article he/she posted they're saying not only does J gets a mattress topper (as discussed), and First Class gets a new thicker mattress.

I already thought CX F bedding was superb. Hopefully this doesn't muck it up. They've got a good track record with bedding IMO, particularly superb bedding in F compared to pretty much every other carrier I'm familiar with in F. Despite other complaints on CX I am unabashedly loyal to CX F bedding, and I always thought marginal complaints about CX's topper (vs something like JL's gimmicky mattress "choice", IMO, which doesn't even run the full length of the bed and is far less comfy than CX IMO) were misplaced. I'm still optimistic, just worried by the maxim "if it ain't broke..."

Exact quote from SCMP is: "While in first class, ticket holders will get a thicker mattress pad, an upgrade on an existing topper used."
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's about time. Especially for slippers.

Nice that CX management recognizes their product is currently sub-par in several respects.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jacobsleather
All those slippers are going to generate a ton of waste. I cant imagine many people will keep them for reuse. Hopefully they issued on request only or sealed so they can be reissued if unused.
Although I agree, I'm a fan of slippers on long haul flights. Finnair has new slippers that are made from recycled plastic. They feel fine but they're not the best to look at. I assume the environmental impact isn't quite as bad as with their old slippers.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I am curious if people who can afford J cannot then afford $0.50 slippers which are no doubt the slip on kind given for zilch at hotels and which one could put in their carry on. Do people carry nothing in case an airline has not provided it? Like a toothbrush? All these airline giveaway items are usually 1/10th as good as what you could buy and bring and not pollute the world more for the sake of saying one deserves it.
flubber, hessbo and Gongzuokuang like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I am curious if people who can afford J cannot then afford $0.50 slippers which are no doubt the slip on kind given for zilch at hotels and which one could put in their carry on. Do people carry nothing in case an airline has not provided it? Like a toothbrush? All these airline giveaway items are usually 1/10th as good as what you could buy and bring and not pollute the world more for the sake of saying one deserves it.
By that logic, passengers should be bringing their own food, drinks, cutlery, cups, plates, napkins, pillow, pillowcase, blanket etc.
AJ747M likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I am curious if people who can afford J cannot then afford $0.50 slippers which are no doubt the slip on kind given for zilch at hotels and which one could put in their carry on.
Who said anything about cost being the issue? It's not the money, it's the hassle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.