Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Permanent discontinuation of short haul First Class service (ex. PEK and HND)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Permanent discontinuation of short haul First Class service (ex. PEK and HND)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Ausriver
So I would assume it is beneficial for most elite pax flying short haul J... F seats and toilets are better.

I do find the service in the "F" cabin with KA different than regular J cabin, i.e. FA will ask for food choices and bring it to your table, rather than you to choose from a trolley. Haven't tried those F cabin J service with CX yet, however with only 2 rows of seats, I would assume food to be brought to table rather than on a trolley.
It really has depended on whether a separate FP+SP are assigned to the F cabin, or not. That's my opinion.

For example, I flew back from Sydney with the Mrs. a while back on the day flight, I believe CX100 is the number, plane type was rostered as 77H (the four class plane) when normally it is 77G. We are both DM and were on cash tix in J. We were put in the F section with two other DMs, and I was told there were no other DMs (but yes OWE) in regular J class section. The curtains were closed, we had our own FP and SP serving us, it was for all intents and purposes F class but with J cutlery, bedding and F&B. They did our entire meal services a la carte (normal J class was a trolly) and we were differently timed from the J class cabin, they kept our lights dim until 30 minutes to landing. Absolutely lovely flight. Given the circumstances one of my best ever I should say. They even stopped a pax coming up to use the lav! That is the extreme. They treated our cabin like F class just without the nicer F&B and F bedding. They even had the table extender for us, and had the Bose headphones.

On the other end, a lot of those KA "first" flights where F class is sold as J leave the curtains open and don't have F cabin FAs assigned. The seat is good but it really feels truly more like F cabin J service. Pax can shuttle through from the J cabin, the trolleys are rolled through, etc.

From my understanding of G-CIVCs original post here, this situation like I described with KA in my second paragraph above (no FAs assigned) might what CX is going for. It makes sense even though that lovely situation we had ex-SYD may not be repeated. Having dedicated "First Class" FAs when the seats are being treated as J class seems redundant, even if I like it as a customer!

I think the bottom line is their regional F class rostering has been a little strange / inefficient / probably money losing. And it has no doubt pissed off some folks. But more importantly I think it is very wasteful and loses money, especially as everyone comes after CX for compensation, and the catering complexities, etc. So by moving forward this way, no doubt they can save some costs and just be better optimized.
infinitium likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:51 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
It's very clear in my original post - previously yes the two 'F crew' would serve the 6 'F' pax, together with curtains drawn between 'F' and J, in a 4-class aircraft operating 3-class service situation. I've taken flights like these (and lucked out with both 2 crew being very seasoned SPs) but unfortunately this will not be the case from now onwards.

With this change, the trolleys will start rolling from row 1, and the crew will serve all 59 pax and the curtains will not be drawn anymore.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by brunos
This is bad news for me (buyer of F tickets exEU to BKK or SIN).
The price won't change. I knew that I would have a chance to be downgraded to J, but still had a good chance to have F.
It is not so much the hard product that I miss. A LH J seat is quite fine for a 4 hr flight. But a superb dining experience with Krug, Beychevelle, ...
since when did they serve Krug on the regional F class? It is always Deutz apart from any special promo or incorrect loading
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert

since when did they serve Krug on the regional F class? It is always Deutz apart from any special promo or incorrect loading
To be fair, they've served a fair amount of Krug 2004 regionally in the last year. I've had it both ex-PEK and ex-HND. I've also had Tattinger Comtes de Champagne 2006 on both those routes in the last year, and two different Deutz cuvees ex-HND (Amour de Deutz Blanc de Blanc and Cuvee William Deutz)
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by londonexpert

I had it in my last three flights in 2019 SIN & BKK Krug 2004 and Comte de Champagne 2006, . Never got Deutz
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by brunos
I had it in my last three flights in 2019 SIN & BKK Krug 2004 and Comte de Champagne 2006, . Never got Deutz
interesting. It was always the Deutz vintage before they have the recent promotion
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Any official note if these seats are released for dm only? I have an upcoming flight and i do see seat 2A open, but selection is not allowed as it was blocked for pax requiring bassinets. I am only go btw.

Would it be open for selection during ocl? thanks for all inputs!

CX solved my problem.. they changed from the 77A to the 772..

Last edited by Microtat; Aug 2, 2019 at 7:34 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
It's very clear in my original post - previously yes the two 'F crew' would serve the 6 'F' pax, together with curtains drawn between 'F' and J, in a 4-class aircraft operating 3-class service situation. I've taken flights like these (and lucked out with both 2 crew being very seasoned SPs) but unfortunately this will not be the case from now onwards.

With this change, the trolleys will start rolling from row 1, and the crew will serve all 59 pax and the curtains will not be drawn anymore.
Just flew back last week from BKK in the F cabin with J service. Curtains remained closed for the duration of the flight, no trolleys were used and meal tray was served by hand. Two crew in the F cabin serving 6 of us as before. Just a data point FYR.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: JMB Sapphire, OneWorld Sapphire
Not sure if this is the right thread for my inquiry. Hows F service in HND-HKG flights? I've seen award spaces for on my target dates. I used to think F spaces were scarce even for short haul.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I flew home to Manila last Sunday, a few days before I noticed that the plane changed from the 77G/K to 77H/A. I called the CX office in Manila and requested 1A and 2A for my companion. They were able to do it with no issues. up until Saturday night EF was showing J9C9D9I9 and only 2 pax in the F cabin, at the lounge I checked EF and surprised that the whole plane was full and now its 6/6 in the cabin.

Our SP that day was a Thai ISM called on standby and she was wonderfull. She offered hot or old towels (I had to check if I wasn't on QR hehehehe) champagne was poured seat-side (Piper...), when we leveled off she offered to set up the table (with tablecloth) so my friend and I can share a meal together. Curtains were also drawn even for arrival unfortunately, MNL only uses DR2.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Very sad!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:01 pm

Have an upcoming flight on 77H/A, on EF the seats were blocked but not occupied...called Marco Polo Club, they refused to do anything.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Have an upcoming flight on 77H/A, on EF the seats were blocked but not occupied...called Marco Polo Club, they refused to do anything.
That's pretty normal though. On flights when F seats have been served as J class, for quite a while you haven't been able to select them nor has MPO been able to assign them.

They either will open it up at the airport or very close to departure, in which case you'll have a good shot as a DM. Or it will be completely closed off.

I don't blame them for not assigning it early, even though I don't like it. It gives them better flexibility to swap the plane, and it also enables them to try/not try to sell a few extra seats which is represented by the extra 6 "F" seats.

I think the last time I was in "F as J" for CX was coming back from SYD earlier this year with Mrs. QRC. We're both DM. I tried to get those seats in advance multiple times to no avail, the 77H/A was rostered well in advance on one of those rare situations, the plane is normally 77G/K. But no success before switching. We got to the airport and Mrs. QRC and I had been proactively put in "F" along. Only 4/6 were allowed in, all Diamonds I believe. Superb service, F class for all intents and purposes except for F&B. They even had the Bose headphones! There were multiple Emeralds in normal J who weren't put up there. Curtains closed etc. I'm sure it's different by port. On KA this happens regularly to SHA Hongqiao these days, and I can't assign them in advance but inevitably get put up there. On a number of flights I've been on a 33R plane (3 class) but they're only selling two classes. However that flight is always full to the gills.

Updated Later
I can see my forgetfulness setting in. I already said a lot of this above!
FlyPointyEnd likes this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Nov 21, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Updated Later
I can see my forgetfulness setting in. I already said a lot of this above!
Hahahaha Thanks...
Cryofern likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by QRC3288
That's pretty normal though. On flights when F seats have been served as J class, for quite a while you haven't been able to select them nor has MPO been able to assign them.

They either will open it up at the airport or very close to departure, in which case you'll have a good shot as a DM. Or it will be completely closed off.
This thread popped up just in time as I just had a call back from Customer Relation Team today explaining to be the oddity of having two of the F seats being assigned in advance (T-28 days departure) whilst there is no F cabin sold on my SIN flight. Long story short, I called MPO a week ago having found out my flight will be a 77A with no F ticket being sold though I have seen 2 of the 6 seats have already been assigned. Trying to get them to assign me a F seat they said they couldn't. Then I went on asking them how come two pax could get the seats when my request has been declined. After some back and forth waiting whilst the agent was checking with the supervisor; they still couldn't find the answer. They said they would investigate and the Customer Relation Team would get back to me.

Then today the CX team called me and said that the two pax who have been assigned in F seats were done so by an eternal travel agent. The CX staff told me under their system they simply cannot assign a seat in advance. I then asked this seemed so bizarre as CX itself cannot override and control its own metal/seat map whilst someone else could. The staff acknowledged where I came from and kept apologizing without providing me a clear answer. I know she was just a messenger and she was very nice so I said that's ok. She said she will definitely provide feedback to the relevant teams involved.

I wasn't upset or anything to be honest as I know I purchased a J ticket so having a F seat would just be a bonus. Though I found their explanation rather odd. Just FYI as it is apparent that you can assign yourself the F seat well in advance if your travel agent has the tool/power to override their system...
QRC3288 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.