Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabotage? Flying PEK-HKG-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If you decide to fly it might be a good idea of an entry and exit at Hong kong so that you will not freak out the Chinese Border Guard when you enter at PVG without any passport stamp/scan somewhere after your exit at PEK.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
If you decide to fly it might be a good idea of an entry and exit at Hong kong so that you will not freak out the Chinese Border Guard when you enter at PVG without any passport stamp/scan somewhere after your exit at PEK.
Hong Kong Don’t stamp the passport
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:15 am

Note that CX also sell TPE-HKG-PEK flights, which are also China-China.

On the website, CX also don't sell SHA-PUS unless you select as multicity... nothing to do with 'legality' but as it is a silly intinerary, it cuts down on costs to not show it (robotic seaches)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by peasant
With the respect to the (non political) conversation we're having here, TPE-PEK is not the same as PVG-PEK. Even CAAC officials will tell you that, lol.

No matter where one stands on unrelated matters to this thread, the bottom line is all regulatory authorities including those in mainland China are firmly in agreement that different air certificates, purchasing, maintenance, landing rights, immigration schemes, and scores of other matters are done differently between those destinations.

PEK and PVG, on the other hand, are unequivocally in the same jurisdiction from commercial airliner land.

From a commercial airliner / immigration perspective, what you're trying to imply - Taiwan, Hong Kong and perhaps Macau = same as mainland China, is not correct.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by peasant

On the website, CX also don't sell SHA-PUS unless you select as multicity... nothing to do with 'legality' but as it is a silly intinerary, it cuts down on costs to not show it (robotic seaches)
I agree that PVG-HKG-PEK is silly, but bringing TPE into the discussion does not help. At the very least, TPE is not under CAAC jurisdictions, while both PVG and PEK are.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I don't really know that much about these things, but I suspect why BA can sell you PVG-HKG-PEK is because it's some different kind of fare construction for award flights (essentially just putting two tickets/fares together) vs if you were trying to sell PVG-PEK for $$ on one fare which doesn't/can't exist.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have flown this kind of route. When you get out of PEK you will clear Chinese departure immigration. No immigration in HKG and then when you fly to PVG you enter Chinese Immigration. So the HKG is looked as an International Flight as far as ICAO and aviation is concerned. Both Hong Kong and Macau have their own aviation regulatory body independent of CAAC(Chinese) and though they operate closely it is not absolutely the same as they have taken different views in some issues but I am sure in the important ones they all agree.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the equivalent of flying SFO-SEA via ORD only you’re about 20 times more likely to experience mind numbing delays. If you value the flying experience so highly and your time so little then go for it! This is something I’d never ever attempt but maybe I’m slightly influenced by the two 5 hour delays I had last week flying to and from Shanghai.
moondog likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I can't book a PEK-PVG award on BA website. I assume that you called and they stick together two one way awards.
There is nothing illegal there. Similarly, there is no fare PEK-PVG on KA revenue tickets, but nothing prevents you from buying two OW.

Have you checked that they are on the same PNR?
Even on two separate PNRs KA is likely to protect you in case of delays, but that will be some hassle.

The immigration officier in PVG might be surprised to see that you left China just a few hours ago. Be ready with some simple explanation in very simple English. Have some documents ready, such as hotel booking and outbound ticket.
Note that the simple tourist visa is single entry, so be sure you ask/pay for the one with two entries.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tentseller
Originally Posted by cyster2007

Hong Kong Don’t stamp the passport
They don't stamp. Did I mention SCAN? Oh yes, I did!
marcuslai likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is a really dumb idea:

-KA actually flies from HKG to PVG and SHA
-Sure, they are more expensive than 9C, but an extra HKD 100 will get you a seat in row 2 on 9C
-cabotage or not, no matter what the price, connecting in PEK is extremely dumb

It is not my intention to be harsh, but I happen to live here. Others in our forum do as well, and they will surely tell you that you are out of your mind.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The OP's wife might divorce him if tries to pull this off
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dav662
I have flown this kind of route. When you get out of PEK you will clear Chinese departure immigration. No immigration in HKG and then when you fly to PVG you enter Chinese Immigration. So the HKG is looked as an International Flight as far as ICAO and aviation is concerned.
Thanks for confirming that you have flown this route. This is my understanding too.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
I can't book a PEK-PVG award on BA website. I assume that you called and they stick together two one way awards.
There is nothing illegal there. Similarly, there is no fare PEK-PVG on KA revenue tickets, but nothing prevents you from buying two OW.

Have you checked that they are on the same PNR?
Even on two separate PNRs KA is likely to protect you in case of delays, but that will be some hassle.
I was able to book this under one PNR and under one ticket number (125 xxx) on the BA website.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by brunos
cabotage is illegal.

OP shouldn't get into trouble (aka he doesn't get fined/jailed), the airline gets fined for cabotage, and may be forced to hold onto OP in HKG for 24 hours so that the trip is treated as open-jaw overnighting at HKG (versus one way with 1hr hkg layover)

see this scenario (OZ/KE got fined by USA DOT for cabotage,their policy is to hold people for 96 hours in Korea for doing USA-Korea-Guam, even on separate tickets/airline)

https://thepointsguy.com/news/illega...mistake-story/
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.