EWR vs JFK Fares?

Old Jun 10, 19, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

EWR vs JFK Fares?

I typically fly out of JFK, but was looking for a flight end of July and saw that flights out of EWR were much cheaper! Has this always been the case? Sample Business fare (July 26-August 6):
JFK-HKG-KUL: $6,559.37
EWR-HKG-KUL: $5,116.37

Doesn't seem to be the case for Economy/PE. When I've looked in the past, they've always been the same or very close.

I haven't flown out of EWR in awhile as JFK is more convenient for me, plus the AA Flagship Lounge is wonderful, but for that big of a difference, I'll schlep to Jersey! Oh and for those who have the Amex Platinum, I was able to get an even lower fare by 20% through the IAP by booking through Amextravel.
Old Jun 11, 19, 8:45 pm

EWR is using 359, definitely quiet than 77W and I can sleep more most of the time
Old Jun 12, 19, 4:55 am

choose EWR!
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
I've flown out of both many times on CX but I've never taken CX845 at 1:30 AM so I can't compare CX899 vs CX845.

Check-in and Security

At EWR, the check-in and TSA at that time is really easy. TSA never has any significant lines and even without preCheck (though they honor preCheck lite) you will breeze through. The gate and lounge is close to security so not much of a walk. The whole experience from dropoff to the gate or lounge is very quick no more than 10 minutes.

At JFK, T8 is quite bigger and busier that EWR Terminal B. Check-in experience should be about the same but TSA will probably take longer. I think preCheck is closed at the time of CX845 and the general line would probably be longer than EWR at that time. AA Flagship is very close to security but most likely the departing gate will be far (gate 47?) although sometimes I've had different (closer) gates.

Lounge

AA Flagship is miles better than BA lounge at EWR. The BA lounge is a little sad with hardly any food, they seem to always have the same thing, finger sandwiches and humus. The only people in the EWR BA lounge will be other passengers on CX899 so it won't be very crowded. I'm not sure how crowded AA Flagship at JFK will be that late but for the other CX flights it can be quite crowded.

One benefit of the EWR lounge is that it will be staffed by a CX dragon so any changes you want to make to your booking can be handled in the lounge. I'm not sure the dragons at AA Flagship can assist any ticket changes for CX.

Boarding
No significant difference between the two, elites will get priority boarding at both locations. At JFK, CX flights typically leave from Gate 47 which is far from the lounge. At EWR the gate is just a minute walk so you can wait in the lounge until the boarding announcement.

In-Flight
359 vs 773, there are many threads discussing the differences. On the 359, I feel in J the seat is a wee bit smaller and comfort level is similar. IFE is much better on the A359 with a bigger, better and higher resolution screen, content should be the same. Dining should be about the same. Overall environment on the A359 is better due to reduced noise and increased pressurization.

Both flights arrive in HKG around the same time.

If the price differential is a big factor then choose EWR. In-flight experience a little better but the lounge is a big step down. If you're coming from east of the Hudson, traffic at that time should be minimal. From midtown Manhattan, I'd think the ride to EWR would be quicker, from Brooklyn/Queens JFK would be quicker. From parts north, I think about the same amount of time.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks synthkeys for your detailed assessment, it's generally in line with what my perception as well. I generally prefer to fly out of JFK (so that I can take the subway, rather than going through Penn station for the NJ Transit/Air Train to EWR plus I keep hoping for an op-up to First, but that hasn't happened and of course probably won't so maybe I won't factor that in anymore ) but yeah, with such a huge price differential, EWR is a no-brainer! I was just surprised to see such a big price differential.
Old Jun 12, 19, 10:41 am

Oh yeah, NJT Penn Station, my daily commute when not in China. I've never taken the train to EWR but I do ride NJT trains all the time. Leave some extra time and check your schedules for EWR bound trains. Later hours the number of trains out of Penn St. drop significantly so plan accordingly. Keep this link handy on your smart phone - NJT Departure Vision from NYP , It basically the same info they show on the departure boards in the station. The trains with the little airplane icon transfer to the EWR Air Train.

I've been checking loads out of JFK/EWR for July as I'm planning another trip and I'm seeing F full or near full frequently. Perhaps the effect of the New Year mistake fare, so I wouldn't be too hopeful for op-up.
Old Jun 12, 19, 10:45 am
KKD

Programs: Marriott
Hello FTers,
A newbie traveling to NYC. Any thoughts on the ease of travel to JFK and EWR, given my 1st stay will be in NYC downtown?
Your advice will help me decide on which CX flight to take. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 19, 10:46 am

Another thing I like about CX899 out of EWR, the time from push off to take off is minimal. There's practically no air traffic at that time. The flights I take out of JFK, CX 841/865 sometimes sometimes spend up to an hour waiting for takeoff slot. Not sure what happens with CX845, I would think that air traffic at JFK is far less at that time but EWR is essentially push off and head out to the runway.
Old Jun 12, 19, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, CX, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by KKD View Post
Hello FTers,
A newbie traveling to NYC. Any thoughts on the ease of travel to JFK and EWR, given my 1st stay will be in NYC downtown?
It's pretty much the same from either JFK or EWR to downtown (FiDi specifically). I would consider the other factors listed above.

PS: Agree with the op-up opinion above, I still have never been op-up except Y to W long long time ago.
Old Jun 12, 19, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper View Post
It's pretty much the same from either JFK or EWR to downtown (FiDi specifically). I would consider the other factors listed above
@andersonCooper is spot on as usual, although I think it also depends on train vs. car. By car, I'd give the edge to EWR. Straight shot through the Holland Tunnel and across the Newark Bay Extension. At that time of night I'd estimate 20 mins tops with maybe 25 mins for JFK across the East river and Belt Parkway, either way it's basically a wash.

If taking the train to EWR maybe 40 mins if you make all the connections properly, NYC subway 2/3 from Chambers to Penn St, switch to NJT bound for EWR. Train to JFK, never took it but Google maps times it an hour or so. The quickest (but more expensive) option for JFK by train is to use LIRR either from Penn St. or Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn to Jamaica Station and transfer to the JFK AirTrain from there.

If I were taking one of the CX night flights and leaving from Manhattan, I'd pay for car service rather than deal with mass transit.
Old Jun 12, 19, 2:58 pm

To me the choice comes down to the vastly superior AA Lounge -- which is now quite pleasant, though super crowded during this time period -- to the better on board experience on the A350 which includes guaranteed WiFi (although not as critical this time of day), better IFE, and a marginally less noisy cabin (although I find the CX 777-300 mini cabin to be no less comfy)..

I must say, I've been flying out of EWR more frequently lately as the fares are better and its actually a bit quicker for me to get to, but the airport is absolutely decrepit and depressing in almost every possible way. EWR is hardly less of an embarrassment to New York than LGA, but they are at least improving LGA while EWR just gets worse and worse. It really is not a first-world experience at all, and for all of its advantages over JFK I just find it unpleasant.

By the way, every time I have taken this flight, TSA-Pre was open and functioning at JFK Terminal 8. The evening is actually the busiest time for this Terminal with all the flights to AA flights to South America. The place is dead for most of the day.
Old Jun 12, 19, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synthkeys View Post
Another thing I like about CX899 out of EWR, the time from push off to take off is minimal. There's practically no air traffic at that time. The flights I take out of JFK, CX 841/865 sometimes sometimes spend up to an hour waiting for takeoff slot. Not sure what happens with CX845, I would think that air traffic at JFK is far less at that time but EWR is essentially push off and head out to the runway.
I've flown CX845 out of JFK a number of times, I don't recall it being painful so it must have been painless too! Virtually never any lines getting through security, I think TSA pre-check ends at 8PM but even so, pretty painless (other than the occasional a-hole TSA agent )

Any thoughts on inbound to EWR and getting through immigration? I have Global Entry which is always a breeze at JFK. My parents flew in on CX 890 recently, the plane taxied for like 40 minutes and then it took them another 2 hours to get through immigration! They do not have Global Entry.
Old Jun 12, 19, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KKD View Post
Hello FTers,
  1. If you're leaving on the late night flight (CX 899 out of EWR or CX 845 out of JFK) and are taking a car/taxi, I think the options are comparable, so I would just pick the cheapest flight
  2. If you prefer to save some $ and want to rely on public transport (assuming fares are comparable and you don't have any large bags to haul), I would pick JFK as you can just take the A train to Howard Beach then hop on the AirTrain. I would budget at least 1.5 hours for public transport to JFK. That being said, if you haven't been to NYC before, I would stick to taking a taxi/Uber/car service to/from the airport. Public transport to/from all our airports suck compared to other major cities. Like embarrassingly awful.
  3. Other key factors are
    • Lounge Access. Flagship Lounge at JFK wins hands down
    • Aircraft. A350 out of EWR, B777 out of JFK. A350 has a slight edge for me but it's not a strong preference
    • Frequency of flights. There are more flights out of JFK (3x a day) vs EWR (once a day). There's a 4th flight from JFK that stops over at YVR. A friend booked this flight by mistake as technically it is "direct" to HKG, just not non-stop and he was PISSED!!
    • A350 out of EWR doesn't have First Class. Not sure if that matters to you
Old Jun 12, 19, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by suziemay View Post
Any thoughts on inbound to EWR and getting through immigration? I have Global Entry which is always a breeze at JFK. My parents flew in on CX 890 recently, the plane taxied for like 40 minutes and then it took them another 2 hours to get through immigration! They do not have Global Entry.
I almost always take CX890 so lots of experience. It's usually very smooth after landing and getting to the gate. Sometimes there a wait for Gate 54 to open up as theres a departing flight from there before 890 arrives. If it's delayed it could cause problems.

Immigration at EWR Terminal B with Global Entry is extremely fast, I'd say faster than JFK as many times there is a queue for GE. I've never waited for a GE kiosk at EWR. However the difference in in customs exiting the airport. At JFK these days, right after GE you hand the slip over to CBP and the customs portion happen right there before getting your bags. Head down to baggage claim, get your bags and you're out the door. At EWR, you need to wait for baggage then join the customs line to exit. With GE, there is a special line so it is much quicker than the normal line.

Also for the last year or more, seems like it's taking a lot longer for bags to come out, maybe 15-20 mins, once or twice waited nearly an hour. I almost always arrive on a Sunday evening and there's been a couple of international flights arriving around that time. Seems like baggage handlers might be a bit jammed up. My few arrivals into JFK seemed a little smoother in this regard, except for waiting a few minutes to use a GE kiosk.

My last trip I arrived EWR on Jun 2, the driver asked my why it took so long, it was 1 hour from wheels down to the car. But there were some flash storms and that always slows things down. The plane waited for 20 mins before terminating at the gate. There was some delay getting the jetway attached, bags took about 25 mins, etc.

Also if you arrive EWR and have a car picking you up, tell them to come to departures area, level 3. It's much easier to navigate, and they can wait there for a while as departures at Terminal B is pretty dead in the evening. When exiting customs into the waiting area, turn right and there's an elevator going up to level 3. A short walk has you outside at the end of the Terminal B departure area
Old Jun 12, 19, 7:45 pm

Programs: LA Black, QF Platinum, CX Silver, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
In many cases, JFK and EWR fares are the same (based on my search on CX website). Personally, I found A350-900 and 777-300ER are pretty much the same, except 777 (hence the seat) is wider.
Definitely avoid CX865 (formerly CX889). That will incur a stop in YVR in the middle of the night, and you'll need to deplane and wait in the sterile transit zone (no bathroom or lounge) for about 60 minutes.

Search this Thread