FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Where to sit on this A330 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1973292-where-sit-a330.html)

NYC2SGN Jun 9, 2019 1:41 pm

Where to sit on this A330

Moderator: apologies for not knowing where this should be posted, I am *A but will be flying on CX J.

CX524 on 8/26 to be exact.

The Points Guy recommends not selecting a bulkhead seat, because that has less legroom.

I've never flown on CX in J before, so I have no clue.

Can someone recommend which seat I should select if what TPG says is true?

I tried searching the thread, but there appears to be more than one lie flat business class configuration on the A330.

If there is less legroom in the bulkhead seats, are all the other seats the same then?

CXFlyerBoy Jun 9, 2019 6:39 pm

This is not true as you get slightly more foot space in the cubby hole due to no seat in front of you.

FWiW, though there are two variants of lie flats for the 330 they are the same as the configuration of the plane differs in the installation of PEY

AmD950 Jun 9, 2019 8:06 pm

CX524 and CX566 might have last minute swap for regional configuration.
You might even get a 772 at the end.

beachboy1966 Jun 10, 2019 4:16 am

I'm also interested to know the best seat on the 330. Am flying on CX111 this week and based on some research was able to secure 20K in the mini-cabin. Anyone else been seated there and is it suitable for a 195cm tall person?

QRC3288 Jun 10, 2019 4:24 am

1.) Ignore what TPG says, lol that is completely wrong information. How useless. The bulkheads have more space, not less. I went to the link you included...it's true the bulkhead middles have even more space. But overall, yea wrong information. I'll also add, the bulkheads in the mini-cabin also have more space, not less.

2.) There are 3 configurations of CX's A333s: 33E, 33K and 33P, although for a J class traveler there are basically only two. 33E and 33K are long-haul config and J class is identical (the difference is 33K is 3-class with PEY, 33E is just two class with Y and J only). 33P is short-haul with regional seats. If you are interested in some trivia / info on CX's fleet, this will be more than you ever need: Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide

3.) I take the front row on A333 window every time, unless it's an overnight flight. Again, ignore that fairly worthless review (although the pictures are always fun). In that case the proximity to galley and bathrooms can get bothersome. Everyone else has their own preferences. Personally, for me the rear mini-cabin is hit or miss. Miss because often pax from PEY / Y come up and use the lav, and in extreme cases I've seen people self-upgrading. Hit because it can be more private and quiet in a perfect situation.

Overall CX's 33E / 33K are good configs and I wouldn't sweat it too much. Your bigger problem, as other posters mention upthread, is that you are subject to equipment swap regionally. Another thing those blogs get wrong is implying that you can guarantee yourself a regional equipment type. Unfortunately, that's not really the case, which annoys the hell out of all us CX regulars. It's true some flights are much more predictable than others, but just counting on the system or EF to tell you what you equipment will be can lead to disappointment. I'm not as familiar with that route but others might know if it swaps often.

(Lol, I also must add TPG's food descriptions aren't going to be challenging the Michelin guide any time soon....such whimsies like describing the food as "tasty", "incredible", "warm". Do they have a blog-wide rule rule where you must describe the food in a hokey way, ideally with an empty adjective?)

medicus Jun 10, 2019 7:37 am

Which door at HKG?

On a slightly related question, does anyone know which door is more likely to be used at HKG for disembarking from a 33E/K? 1L or 2L? I have a short connection at HKG, and was wondering whether I should select 11A or 19A to make the quickest exit off the plane.
Thank you in advance for any replies.
Medicus.

QRC3288 Jun 10, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by medicus (Post 31188076)
On a slightly related question, does anyone know which door is more likely to be used at HKG for disembarking from a 33E/K? 1L or 2L? I have a short connection at HKG, and was wondering whether I should select 11A or 19A to make the quickest exit off the plane.
Thank you in advance for any replies.
Medicus.

in almost all cases, both L1 and L2 (for all CX plane types, not just their A333). Not 100%, but usually.

*usually* L1 opens first. Of course, now that I type that, you are destined to rush up there only for L2 to open first;).

happiest_at_40000 Aug 11, 2021 1:07 am

Realize its been a while since a post on this thread but just wondering about CX A330 J for a trip in April (crossing fingers)........ Is there still an A330 with J having angle flat seat?? Seat Guru shows 3 versions of the A330- the regional/recliner lay out, flat bed seats & then angle flat. The flat bed one shows the 3 rows of PE while the angle flat one is also 1-2-1 but does say angle flat, and that one shows NO PE.

Its my understanding both the 1-2-1 variations are the same seat, both are normal lie flat, and not angle. One has PE, one doesnt.

I think Seat Guru is wrong but wanted to check.

Thanks

happiest_at_40000 Aug 11, 2021 1:20 am

Just to add the flight I am looking at is listed as 33E, it has the rear J mini cabin but no PE. So I realize thats not the newest A330 config (33K) but just wanted to make sure its not angle flat. And just out of curiosity are there even any CX A330's left that are angle flat? I see a version called 33J that has no rear J cabin but on CX site it doesnt say if that one is normal lie flat or angle?

patrickw Aug 11, 2021 2:03 am

Since your trip is in April don't overthink about the aircraft type at this point, I believe you will simply lose track of how many times they will change the type between now and April.

I don't know if there are any flying at the moment but I don't think CX is planning to move away from having regional J for some of the A330. Those moving (back) from KA will have regional J for example and they will need those capacity for short haul when the demand is picking up again.

They love to play with different type of aircraft assigned to the flight until boarding at gate even before the pandemic so just wait until March or so to start worry about that

sxc Aug 11, 2021 4:56 am

Yes seat guru is wrong. There are no angle flat seats anymore.

Calvincheng58 Aug 11, 2021 6:34 am

All CX A330s flying at present are the 33E and 33J (formerly 33K with the removal of Premium Economy) with flat bed business class and economy class. The regional 33P and 33K are currently stored.

brunos Aug 11, 2021 10:03 am

Yes Seatguru is wrong. There are either longhaul A330 with flat beds or regional A330 with the awful regional seats.
But it is absolutely useless to worry about a flight in April. CX has no idea if the flight will operate nor what aircraft it will use.

happiest_at_40000 Aug 11, 2021 12:43 pm

Thx all for the info. Not too worried. Even if I had the regional 2-2-2 just to be able to go to Asia finally would be great not sure I would care. Although from what I can tell before Covid the Sin-Hkg flight seems to have been the lie flat A330's.

So I understand there is a version with and with out PE, both having the mini J cabin but there is also a version w/ lie flats that stops at Row 18 and has no mini J cabin or no?

Thx :)

dkc192 Aug 11, 2021 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000 (Post 33483143)
So I understand there is a version with and with out PE, both having the mini J cabin but there is also a version w/ lie flats that stops at Row 18 and has no mini J cabin or no?

Yes there is: the 33J. To summarize:

33E: lie-flats in J, rear J mini cabin (to row 21), no PE
33K: lie-flats in J, rear J mini cabin, PE
33J: lie-flats in J, no rear J mini cabin, no PE
33P: regional J seats, no PE