Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX cost cut extends to FRA checkin service- very poor experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold

Just flied CX288 From Frankfurt to Hong Kong. Here I would like to share the checkin experience.

When approaching the checkin area, I immediately noticed this was a new location, much smaller and shabby.

I checkin at the First class desk. The first thing I noticed was she was not in CX uniform. Actually, none of the checkin crew wore CX uniforms but airport crew ones. The crew at first class counter didn’t smile, acted like a robot and didn’t address me as my surname during the whole conversation. Well, I don’t think it was wrong but that was something we don’t get used to have at CX checkin counters.

“ to Kaohsiung please” I placed my passport on desk. She took my passport and then checked.
“ but your ticket is only to Hong Kong “
“ yes, because I have another KA ticket connecting to Kaohsiung. Should I show you the boarding pass? ( I online checkin in advance)
“ No, your luggage destination could only be Hong Kong because they were separate tickets “

I was completely shocked to hear that!
Isnt CX-CX baggage interline the most basic common sense for any checkin crew? It’s even more surprised that this happened at First class counter. Isn’t first class checkin crew more talented and most experienced?

I couldnt help raise my voice
“ Are you joking me? “
“ no, to Hong Kong only” She insisted.
“ Can I talk to your supervisor please? “
And then one guy came up from behind, kept saying sorry and fixed this problem.

I noticed he was still not in CX uniform so I asked him “ Do you work for airport or airline?
He said he worked for airport but presenting CX airlines. Ok, it is clear CX fired every their own checkin crew. Usually airlines would leave one crew to supervisor the checkin, but CX didn’t! The only guy who in charge of checkin is still a contract airport worker! That is why the checkin staff was lacking of knowledge and experience. Shame on CX !!

After checkin, I went to CX lounge. At entrance, crew was in CX uniform, smiling , welcome and addressed me by surname. Very polished, like CX crew usually do
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
OneWorld and other alliances announced several years ago that on separate tickets no more checking through, and CX for now is not following that but could like many other airlines are.
moondog and Sozee like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
OneWorld and other alliances announced several years ago that on separate tickets no more checking through, and CX for now is not following that but could like many other airlines are.
To clarify, oneworld's minimum policy is to provide through check-in when all segments are in one PNR. As long as separate tickets are in one PNR, bags will be checked through.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
To clarify, oneworld's minimum policy is to provide through check-in when all segments are in one PNR. As long as separate tickets are in one PNR, bags will be checked through.
But I thought the OP's tickets were not on the same PNR? He was able to check in for the KA flight to KHH without having his CX flight checked in. If I am not mistaken, flights on the same PNR can only be checked in at the same time?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:31 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
But I thought the OP's tickets were not on the same PNR? He was able to check in for the KA flight to KHH without having his CX flight checked in. If I am not mistaken, flights on the same PNR can only be checked in at the same time?
The point is that the FRA agent didn’t know CXs policy which is to allow checking through of luggage on separate bookings.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I don't know how OP's PNR looks like. CX has a much more lenient through check policy in the sense that CX will through check whenever technically possible, across PNR or tickets. However, I only wanted to clarify what oneworld's minimum policy is like, i. e., through check is possible for separate tickets within a PNR.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I read OP's primary complaint as being that check-in agents were not wearing CX uniforms.

It is quite common in Europe for carriers to contract with Swissport or Menzies for ground services at outstations, as it's very expensive and rather inefficient to hire your own staff to handle one or two daily flights. I don't know if this is a new development for CX at FRA, but it would certainly not be uncommon.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I don't know how OP's PNR looks like. CX has a much more lenient through check policy in the sense that CX will through check whenever technically possible, across PNR or tickets. However, I only wanted to clarify what oneworld's minimum policy is like, i. e., through check is possible for separate tickets within a PNR.
Yes but the OP has a valid argument that CX checkin is not following current CX policy. I’m not sure in this case it’s that important what other OW airlines do, as it’s still a training and service failure to not follow CX policy at the CX check-in desk.

SQ policy also differs from the *A minimum required. Alliance service minimums are just that.
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:19 am

At outposts, especially the the airline doesn't have more than one daily flight, it's very common to have generic airport staff working for several airlines.

It's true that the staff manning the C&F counters should be the more senior one's and knowing rules better.

But check-through on two different tickets is definitely NOT very common. Albeit it's probably done by 1 in 100 travellers, chance is your average checkin agent only does see it a few times a week. Or even less. And then most times at other airlines..

Considering FRA is the capital hub of the no frills carrier LH group where more and more fares come without checkin luggage (Possible even in C nowadays) and I must assume some people already tried to "outsmart" the no-free-luggage rule by combining a long haul ticket (with free baggage) with a short haul one (without it), then got "catched" while in transfer in FRA, it's very possible that this staff here already had to collect fee's from other pax for doing so, but has less often had legitimate check-through cases.

Since her superior apparently fixed the whole thing, I can't see much wrong here.

And having staff not knowing the rules (not just on baggage but every topic travel-related) is very common. If I'd open a thread on FT each time that happens, I'd probably be OP on half FT
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Actually, at my EU CX port, check-in staff does wear CX uniforms, though I do have my doubts, whether these people are CX staff or just working for an airport service provider, with 1 or 2 own CX staff and 1 CX supervisor in back-up for questions. Each time I do check-in, there are several new faces and especially J class check-in staff tends to be different (and new) every time. Nearly always, staff does not know the inner workings of CX systems and/or CX/Airport regulations. And often, there are 2 people behind the desk, one new and the other "teaching". Maybe, the J-class does have the most and versatile options for the passengers, so learning should be at those positions.

Items unknown are like:
- Luggage Check-through on separate PNR.
- Luggage Check-through when not possible (ie overnight at an airport, not always possible, whatever ticket, PNR, etc).
- How to get lounge invitations printed above the CX MPC / ticket class qualification.
- Changing FF numbers with mistakes, affecting legs not checking-in.
- How to deal with vulnerable luggage.
- Or I get things outright refused, which should be basic CX knowledge, just like with OP.

Flying a lot with CX and as such know about "what is possible", I just give "suggestions" what to do, or, on refusal, ask for the supervisor, by calling him by his name. I am not blaming the staff for not knowing these things, though it certainly gives the impression CX does not have its own staff at the airport.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Yes, FRA was the location where they let the flight go 5/6 empty in F while refusing to reissue my redemption into F from J (which should NOT be a problem normally)

Also the location where the so called 'manager' actually raised his voice at me and at the ISM onboard.

The agents (Menzies) had difficulty understanding what 'Marco Polo' was.

CX laid off 60 people in FRA as part of Time To Win. Yeah, so much for people they make an airline.

Back to your point - there should never be any problem to through check (and be protected) for CX/KA-CX/KA connections, regardless of stock.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is entirely sensible to contract ground services when the volume does not support full-time employees. But, it is then the carrier's obligation to either have one of its people on duty as a manager, either at the station or somewhere easily reachable.

Entirely understandable that oustation staff who may administer several carriers' traffic do not know all details. But, that is what a local manager is for or, barring that, a help line. Finally, in this day and age, simple software solutions should mean that no front line agent has to know much of anything other than how to use the keyboard & monitor. Matters such as checking bags across tickets are easily programmed and step-by-step instructions can easily be provided.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf

Yes but the OP has a valid argument that CX checkin is not following current CX policy. I’m not sure in this case it’s that important what other OW airlines do, as it’s still a training and service failure to not follow CX policy at the CX check-in desk.

SQ policy also differs from the *A minimum required. Alliance service minimums are just that.
sounds like cx is cutting down the training on outsourced staff, or the outsourced staff cannot perform to typical cx minima.

horrible horrible service.
wyskevin likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: CX-Gold ; LH Miles & More
Yes, unfortunately I had a similar experience. Last flight from FRA in February still the "old" good CX staff, now in May the new outsourced airport staff. The check-in counters also moved to the opposite side and these check-in counters have some less space.
The new outsourced airport staff is very young and was also in my case some inexperienced. On the same booking I had the flights FRA-HKG-HND with a connection time of about 2 hours in HKG and at the check-in in Frankfurt I was asked whether she should check the luggage to HKG or through to HND!?!?????
I really enjoyed in the past the familiar situation starting at Frankfurt airport. Known people with good customer relationship understanding, now someone else, most likely changing people which have nothing to do with CX.
So another "pro" from choosing CX is gone...
wyskevin and kaka like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
I agree with the previous poster. In the past, you could simply hand-over your passport and everything got arranged, without having to worry about the implementation. Now, I do have to verify 2 times and often correct (later on) the mistakes (or maybe call it: choices different from what I would have chosen).

Looks to me, check-in staff gets chosen for their beauty, their groomed appearance and their verbal qualities to be "friendly" to the passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.