Wiki Posts
Search

8 Hour Layover in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

8 Hour Layover in Hong Kong

Hi Guys -

I will be traveling from India to US with an 8-hour layover in HKG. I'm flying Cathay Pacific for the first time and that too economy class so pretty nervous about it. I would appreciate and welcome any suggestions on how to spend the 8 hr layover. Although I would like to enjoy lounge access, I do not have any Cathay Pacific membership. All I have are the United MIleage Explorer Lounge Pass with which I believe cannot be used for this trip since I'm flying Cathay.

Thank you!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
You can try to see if anyone can guest you: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...er-thread.html

As a new member, you cannot edit the wiki. You can put your request in the right format and do a RBP (report bad post) so one of us mods can help you put your request on the wiki.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Get out of the airport and enjoy Hong Kong, especially it’s food.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hexacode
Although I would like to enjoy lounge access, I do not have any Cathay Pacific membership. All I have are the United MIleage Explorer Lounge Pass with which I believe cannot be used for this trip since I'm flying Cathay.
When are you flying? Until November 1, you can use the United Club pass with any departing boarding pass. As of Nov. 1, you would need a Star Alliance BP.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
What time will you be in HK?
Any entry issues for HK?

Definitely get out of the airport and into HK if you can. If you can get into the UA Club before your flight it's a nice place to relax, having a bite to eat. Uncertain if it has a shower to refresh between your flights. If you do want the use of a shower there are a few Plaza Premium lounges at HKG that one can pay for access.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:40 am

I guess you arrive HK in the morning. (all flights arrive HK in the morning time)
if it is your first time to HK, go to the town!
By airport railway, you can go to the downtown in around 30 minutes.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
You can try to see if anyone can guest you: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...er-thread.html

As a new member, you cannot edit the wiki. You can put your request in the right format and do a RBP (report bad post) so one of us mods can help you put your request on the wiki.
Does CX still allow GO and DM to take guest(s) on non-oneworld flights? I somehow remember this was removed in 2016, but I can't find any proof, either.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I presume you're travelling with Indian passport? If you intend to go into Hong Kong as suggested by others above, don't forget to complete pre-arrival registration online. This morning a guy with Indian passport didn't do. His excuse was that the website was broken and he was only transitting (but wanted to go to town) and he's been to UK before so he should be allowed in. Don't know the end result but he was still arguing with immigration by the time I left.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
When are you flying? Until November 1, you can use the United Club pass with any departing boarding pass. As of Nov. 1, you would need a Star Alliance BP.
Thank you! I'm flying next Friday. Are you certain that I can use my United lounge pass even though I'm not flying on United or any star alliance flights?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Definitely go into HK. With an 8 hour layover you’ll have time to go up the peak, and check out a few of the other sights of HK before heading back to the airport. My advice is not to miss that opportunity hanging out in the lounge.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hexacode
Thank you! I'm flying next Friday. Are you certain that I can use my United lounge pass even though I'm not flying on United or any star alliance flights?
Yes.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Does CX still allow GO and DM to take guest(s) on non-oneworld flights? I somehow remember this was removed in 2016, but I can't find any proof, either.
GO never has that entitlement. DM had in the past, but as as you said, not anymore. However, OP is traveling on CX flights.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by david_oz
Definitely go into HK. With an 8 hour layover you’ll have time to go up the peak, and check out a few of the other sights of HK before heading back to the airport. My advice is not to miss that opportunity hanging out in the lounge.
Would there be traffic issues with the current Protests going on?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by eagle215
Would there be traffic issues with the current Protests going on?
The protests were yesterday, one day only, and only affected the direct area on HK Island. Anyone could have gone from the Airport to various other places in HK and had no idea anything was happening.
flubber likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Rivarix
I presume you're travelling with Indian passport? If you intend to go into Hong Kong as suggested by others above, don't forget to complete pre-arrival registration online. This morning a guy with Indian passport didn't do. His excuse was that the website was broken and he was only transitting (but wanted to go to town) and he's been to UK before so he should be allowed in. Don't know the end result but he was still arguing with immigration by the time I left.
This

Hong Kong doesn't give visas to Indian passport holders on arrival, even if it's a few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.