CX Seat Selection on Award Redemption?

Old May 31, 19, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A, ST, OZ, DL, BA, AS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
CX Seat Selection on Award Redemption?

I recently redeemed my Avios for a flight on CX. I logged into my CX account and entered my reference number to put the flight into my account. The website says seat selection isn't available. What's going on?
Old May 31, 19, 4:22 am
formerly james_yuen

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, BA Silver
Cathay Pacific do not allow advance seat selection on economy class redemptions made using Asia Miles if you do not have oneworld status (BA Bronze/Silver/Gold; CX Silver/Gold/Diamond), so I'd assume this is a blanket rule regardless of which airline's frequent flyer program you made the booking with.

I recently booked an award flight using Avios on CX - I earnt BA bronze status between booking and travel and it enabled me to select a seat.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 3, 19, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I recently redeemed my Avios for a flight on CX. I logged into my CX account and entered my reference number to put the flight into my account. The website says seat selection isn't available. What's going on?
Just go on to the CX site using the PNR given to you from BA when you booked - the CX PNR is the same. You should be able to select a seat once in MMB. This has worked perfectly fine for me in the pas on CX flight booked with avios.
Old Jun 3, 19, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Just go on to the CX site using the PNR given to you from BA when you booked - the CX PNR is the same. You should be able to select a seat once in MMB. This has worked perfectly fine for me in the pas on CX flight booked with avios.
What is MMB? Is PNR and Reference number the same thing?
Old Jun 3, 19, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
What is MMB?
Manage My Booking
Old Jun 3, 19, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is PNR and Reference number the same thing?
Yes thatís correct. So the 6 digit booking reference you got from BA when you booked.

Basically go to the CX site, click on the Manage Booking tab, and enter your details under Retrieve a single booking.
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
if you have a non-BA status, you'll have to look elsewhere to have your FFP number edited
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

Yes thatís correct. So the 6 digit booking reference you got from BA when you booked.

Basically go to the CX site, click on the Manage Booking tab, and enter your details under Retrieve a single booking.
I mentioned in the OP that I can't select my seat like that. Another FT member said only people with elite status can do that, which I don't have.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mentioned in the OP that I can't select my seat like that. Another FT member said only people with elite status can do that, which I don't have.
Thanks. Yes I noted but you did it by signing in to your account so it was possible going in not via your account may produce a different outcome.

If you look here it describes who can select a seat under "1. Who is eligible to request a seat?" so if you don't fall in to any of those criteria you can't.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-requests.html

Search this Thread