Wiki Posts
Search

Wifi??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Wifi??

I know the A350's have wifi, but I read that starting in July CX was going to begin installing them on their long haul aircraft. I have not been able to find anything whether this has started to happen. Does anybody know the status of this? I have been doing mostly US-Europe travel recently, but will travel again to HK in a couple of months and wifi would be a deciding factor on which airline I choose.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Just to make something clear: the A350 is a longhaul aircraft, as are (some of) the A330s. The A350 in particular flies some routes to North America, and many to Europe.

With that out of the way...wifi status on medium/long haul planes:

A350s (35G/35K): All aircraft have wifi, and all new deliveries will have wifi pre-installed. CX still has many A350s for delivery.

A330s (35E/K): No aircraft have wifi.

B77W (77A/G/H/K): 10/52 have wifi, being installed now through 2020 scheduled completion.

So as of now: if you have an A350 guaranteed wifi, A330 guaranteed no wifi, and B77W "roll the dice". There is no way to know whether you'll get a reconfigured B77W or not, it is just luck of the draw they rotate everywhere. Although a higher percentage of 77G/K planes have wifi than 77A/H at the moment. See the link below to check. 77G/K are the longhaul 777s without F class, 77A/H are the longhaul ones with F class.

To better understand which planes fly where, which planes have wifi, and the reconfiguration process (and other info) we maintain this sheet here: Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon Fleet Route and Configuration Guide

Finally, no regional planes have wifi yet. Although CX has stated it planes to reconfigure its entire fleet and the KA fleet with WiFi at some point.
​​​​​
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Just to make something clear: the A350 is a longhaul aircraft, as are (some of) the A330s. The A350 in particular flies some routes to North America, and many to Europe.

With that out of the way...wifi status on medium/long haul planes:

A350s (35G/35K): All aircraft have wifi, and all new deliveries will have wifi pre-installed. CX still has many A350s for delivery.

A330s (35E/K): No aircraft have wifi.

B77W (77A/G/H/K): 10/52 have wifi, being installed now through 2020 scheduled completion.

So as of now: if you have an A350 guaranteed wifi, A330 guaranteed no wifi, and B77W "roll the dice". There is no way to know whether you'll get a reconfigured B77W or not, it is just luck of the draw they rotate everywhere. Although a higher percentage of 77G/K planes have wifi than 77A/H at the moment. See the link below to check. 77G/K are the longhaul 777s without F class, 77A/H are the longhaul ones with F class.

To better understand which planes fly where, which planes have wifi, and the reconfiguration process (and other info) we maintain this sheet here: Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon Fleet Route and Configuration Guide

Finally, no regional planes have wifi yet. Although CX has stated it planes to reconfigure its entire fleet and the KA fleet with WiFi at some point.
​​​​​
Wow thank you so much! That is exactly what I was looking for.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
I have flown more than 10 times in last 6-7 months on LAX-HKG route- not once did I get 77W with WiFi.

Flew a couple of times on SFO-HKG route- both the times got wifi. (don't remember what the plane was.)
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Nile_US
I have flown more than 10 times in last 6-7 months on LAX-HKG route- not once did I get 77W with WiFi.

Flew a couple of times on SFO-HKG route- both the times got wifi. (don't remember what the plane was.)
look at the link I posted above.

LAX is (for now) exclusively 77H/77A. Only 4/32 of those 77A/H birds are converted, including one or two that were just finished in the last month. It isn't all that odd that you haven't flown on one in 10 flights, just based on the probabiltiies. More 77G/Ks are converted, and the 77G/K subfleet is smaller (6/20 are converted) so the odds on that type of plane are higher for now.
Nile_US likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
look at the link I posted above.

LAX is (for now) exclusively 77H/77A. Only 4/32 of those 77A/H birds are converted, including one or two that were just finished in the last month. It isn't all that odd that you haven't flown on one in 10 flights, just based on the probabiltiies. More 77G/Ks are converted, and the 77G/K subfleet is smaller (6/20 are converted) so the odds on that type of plane are higher for now.
Thanks. Yes, saw the link after commenting. That's a great compilation!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I flew LAX in F two days ago and had wi-fi. Provided by Gogo, which meant I got it free through my Amex business platinum vouchers.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
On the A350 is the wifi package per device, or can you switch between devices (but not use them at the same time of course)?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
On the A350 is the wifi package per device, or can you switch between devices (but not use them at the same time of course)?
IIRC, there is an option to "logoff". I even can imagine, that, if you logon using a different device, the initial logon/identification is canceled, though I did not try so.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
How can we find the progress of the Wifi installation on 77W? My last 5 out of 6 flights on 77W had it... but the one I just took which I could have really used it didn't have it. Day flight to JFK!
Old May 30, 2019, 5:49 am

The best way is check our spreadsheet, in the FAQ. Linked here Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet Route and Configuration Guide. It has all updated birds with wifi (and a lot of other info). Click on each subfleet or scroll through and see the reg #s .

There is also a thread on the front page here where posters report any 77W flights with/without WiFi. Other posters in the know also often post the updated registry of birds equipped with the antenna. Between all the different members of the group, which also includes hobbyists, we generally know which planes have the antenna, at least within a day of it being equipped. It is called something like "Flown on a 77W lately?...." with a lot of other words. It is a long thread with a lot of posts and will be in the first page, maximum second page of this forum.

Bottom lines is you cannot predict right now on 77W, but odds are getting higher and higher.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by bagold
How can we find the progress of the Wifi installation on 77W? My last 5 out of 6 flights on 77W had it... but the one I just took which I could have really used it didn't have it. Day flight to JFK!
you will unlikely have WiFi on JFK flights. JFK still is on 77A and none of the 77A have WiFi as B-KPA is getting reconfigured to a 77H. JFK occasionally get an 77H, but those are all operational swaps. So don't plan on it - if you get WiFi, it is a bonus.

-jake
Old May 30, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by jakeryan1
you will unlikely have WiFi on JFK flights. JFK still is on 77A and none of the 77A have WiFi as B-KPA is getting reconfigured to a 77H. JFK occasionally get an 77H, but those are all operational swaps. So don't plan on it - if you get WiFi, it is a bonus.

-jake
You have the numbers backwards...77A = reconfigured 77H. Most 77A have wifi. Most 77H don't.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-query-14.html

this is a good thread to check out. I guess CX is slowly adding wifi to these flights. But wifi isnt guaranteed on any 777's unless you are on an a350.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
I've been taking my flights from NYC to HKG via JFK (831 & 865) for the last year or so and haven't scored a plane with WiFi yet. It's become more difficult to get a confirmed upgrade award from PEY to J on the EWR flight since the move to the A350 hence I'm taking more flights out of JFK. My last flight on CX865 the IFE software in J was updated but still used the old hardware. I'm not sure if it was 10 across in the back but definitely no WiFi. Yea, I get it that it's a crap shoot but the luck is not in my favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.