Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What's up with ridiculously expensive one-way tickets from CX site?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's up with ridiculously expensive one-way tickets from CX site?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 3:40 pm

This is where one way Asia miles redemptions can be very useful and cost effective; if that’s an option for you.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
stop overcomplicating your life

buy a return and just dont show up for the second segment. easy. to think CX come after you for claims is like saying high school student visiting a 18+ website and fear getting arrested as the warnings claim
Old May 29, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: MPC, AM, Aeroplan
The other way to not have to wait for a call is to purchase through a travel agent. They can book mixed cabin bookings (I have done J HKG-NRT / Y HND-HKG multiple times in the past to fly J on the red eye).
Old May 29, 2019, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC Silver
Originally Posted by fakecd

buy a return and just dont show up for the second segment. easy. to think CX come after you for claims is like saying high school student visiting a 18+ website and fear getting arrested as the warnings claim
Great advice , cheers
Old May 29, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I've certainly seen ex-UK fares that will not allow J/Y mixed-cabin combinations - one cabin difference only [though I don't know if that also applied to F] - so OP may not be able to get the very cheapest throwaway sector if they intend to fly in J.

Otherwise, OP is overthinking: No-Show Fee is only really there to bleed all the residual value from your throwaway sector such that there's no point refunding it, it would not be charged independently if you do not contact the airline.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MPC Silver
Originally Posted by Cambo
Just no-show, forget about calling in. It is highly unlikely, they will charge you an additional no-show fee if you not show up. Your no-show is the "end-of-the-deal", remaining ticket value will be "grabbed" by CX to cover the no-show fee, etc. The rebooking fee is only applicable, when you change the date of the return, which is not something you want anyway and will be able to, since your low-cost Y ticket will be non-rebookable anyway (as according the ticket conditions).
I was just wondering if refunds/cancellation was possible if I weren't able to grab a mixed cabin class ticket and was forced to pay a, say, PY ticket both ways.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by the_emerald
I was just wondering if refunds/cancellation was possible if I weren't able to grab a mixed cabin class ticket and was forced to pay a, say, PY ticket both ways.
Depends on the ticket conditions. Even in the higher cabin classes, there are non-refundable tickets (or the refund costs are that high, that it's not worth the refund effort = better spent that time on a better upfront planning).
Old May 30, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I've booked one-way intra-asia CX flights previously and while one-way is never half of return, it never exceeded return the way OP described. It's the same ex-US for these FSC. One way to Europe usually exceeds return while to Asia does not (though in the case of CX usually one way ex-US is just under return). For some reason this seems to be a to/from Europe problem when booking one way with FSC? Anyone knows why? Another one of those EU regulations for FSC?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
I'm looking at something similar Intra-Asia. The cheapest fare buckets for HKG-KUL/SIN do not allow an open jaw. One-ways are very close to the return fares to each city. However, some travel agents are selling a CX one-way combined with an Air Asia one-way for a reasonable price. How is this possible?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by fakecd

+1
Personally I never had issues doing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.