Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Charging for seat selection after BP issued online

Old May 22, 19, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Someone was flying LHR_HKG, economy, no MP status. She was allotted 60A (I believe at first tickets were booked together with someone with status, so seats were allotted, but then plans changed and the person with status did not fly together). She checked in online and printed out BP. At the airport, the check in agent said she needed to pay for the particular seat as it was special or reserved for status passenger or something. She chose not to pay and was given another seat.

On hearing above I thought that if a seat required (extra) payment, CX would make sure that they collected money first before allowing the seat to be selected, certainly before allowing check in and boarding pass issued online?

Would appreciate feedback.

Thank you.
Old May 23, 19, 1:34 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Are you sure you flied LHR-HKG???
All LHR flights are operated by 77W (with or without first class). 60A is never a seat with extra charge on 77W but 60A on A359 is!!
So you might fly LGW to HKG???

Anyway, 60A on A359 is no extra charge for elite members but it doesnt apply to the elite member's travel companion.
When 60A assigned to elite member's companion, it is requested to pay immediately online or by travel agency( if the ticket booked by them).
Somehow, the payment didnt process and the seat was reserved until the passanger checkin.
That is why the passanger was requested to pay the extra charge which should be done in advance.

Last edited by wyskevin; May 23, 19 at 1:40 am
Old May 23, 19, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
probably status member called in to arrange the seat. sometimes companions get the premium seats for free too (this had been clamp down tho).

this would free up a few seats for last minute high status fliers, so they wont be getting really crappy seats

why should statusless fliers getting extra legroom seats without paying whikst flying alone!?!?!?
Old May 24, 19, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Never said non-statpus passengers (or anyone else) should have extra legroom seats without paying, flying alone or otherwise. Don't even know if 60A is extra legroom.

Rather, why was payment not alluded to, much less requested, or processed BEFORE boarding pass issued. As with everything regarding airline tickets, any payment (money or even miles) is always processed before boarding pass issued.

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
probably status member called in to arrange the seat. sometimes companions get the premium seats for free too (this had been clamp down tho).

this would free up a few seats for last minute high status fliers, so they wont be getting really crappy seats

why should statusless fliers getting extra legroom seats without paying whikst flying alone!?!?!?
Old May 24, 19, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
Never said non-statpus passengers (or anyone else) should have extra legroom seats without paying, flying alone or otherwise. Don't even know if 60A is extra legroom.

Rather, why was payment not alluded to, much less requested, or processed BEFORE boarding pass issued. As with everything regarding airline tickets, any payment (money or even miles) is always processed before boarding pass issued.
SOrry, but this is a second-hand story that you heard from "someone". I have learned to be cautious in these cases.
I would expect that there was a warning on the screen that payment would have to be settled at airport if that seat was selected. I had this before for a companion. This is courtesy by CX. It might have been a few hours before the flight and too late to process the fee.
Old May 25, 19, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post

Since you AGREE the passenger has to pay for the extra fee, does it really matter to pay it before the boarding pass issued or after?

He/she MUST pay for it anyway
Old May 25, 19, 1:55 am

Here is my understanding to the whole story
I might be wrong so I will leave you guys to judge.

Someone was playing tricks by “ elite member’s companion” and “ online checkin “, trying not to pay for the extra fee. But, it didn’t work out in the end. So someone became upset and argued here?

Last edited by wyskevin; May 25, 19 at 7:04 am
Old May 25, 19, 7:53 am
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by wyskevin View Post

Someone was playing tricks by “ elite member’s companion” and “ online checkin “, trying not to pay for the extra fee. But, it didn’t work out in the end. So someone became upset and argued here?
As far as I know, "elite member's companion" is not eligible for free extra legroom seat. That is probably not the reason.
Old May 25, 19, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 View Post
As far as I know, "elite member's companion" is not eligible for free extra legroom seat. That is probably not the reason.
No, elite member’s companion is not eligible for free extra legroom seats. However, that might be the reason the seat could be held so long without paying and even had lasted after online checkin. A regular passenger wouldn’t have this ‘privilege’ I assume
Old May 26, 19, 2:50 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Just out of curiosity, if the extra leg room seats have not been allocated to a status member, or paid for by regular pax, will they be allocated out to people checking in late or will they always travel empty? I'm guessing on full flights they will be given to late comers if not allocated/purchased already.

Also, if you knew the seats hadn't been allocated, would the crew stop you sitting in the seat?
Old May 26, 19, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Since you AGREE the passenger has to pay for the extra fee, does it really matter to pay it before the boarding pass issued or after?

He/she MUST pay for it anyway

I do agree that if passenger had known about and had agreed to pay extra fee, he/she must pay. But my understanding (see posts 1 and 4 above) is that seat was allotted by CX and the need for payment was not even "alluded" to by CX. As passenger was not aware of extra fee, there was no question of "must pay".

Also, if payment had been expected and therefore communicated and collected at online check in there wouldn't be misunderstanding or delay at airport.

On any view, the need for extra payment should have been clearly communicated, whether or not collected right away. Question here - was it clearly communicated?

Till now, no one here seems to know. I was hoping that gurus here can advise.

If there was such a message, it (and all important messages) should be very clear and care must be made that passenger knows and agrees to pay.

Unless there was such a notice (my posts #1 and #4 related the passenger's understanding that no payment was even alluded to), there is no basis for your suggesting that "passenger has to pay".

Nor is there any basis for your suggestion in your later post that passenger was trying to play tricks but got upset when it did not work. Simply, passenger was allotted seat, knew nothing about extra payment, checked in online, got BP and was asked to pay at airport, declined to pay and got a different seat. Nothing about passenger being angry or upset. I made it clear that I heard about this. Pls read earlier posts. Thank you.

Last edited by IncyWincy; May 26, 19 at 11:06 am
Old May 26, 19, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Pls see posts #1 and #4 . I posted here to ask and was not passenger. Passenger did not become upset and does not even know about my posting here, much less got "upset and argued here".

If there had indeed been anyone trying "not to pay for the extra fee", would the scenario not necessarily have to be premised on the existence of the "extra fee" being known? My post #4 made it clear that passenger/person checking in online did not know about this extra fee. Hence the question why fee not alluded to. Quite clear from my posts above passenger only knew at airport.