Calculating refund of return only

Old May 23, 2019, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by brunos
From the title, it suggest that you have flown PEK-HKG-BCN and ZRH-HKG but not yet HKG-PEK, although you are now in PEK. Is that correct?
indeed. As far as I remember I can change it for about 1200CNY, but makes little sense, when I dont know when I might actually fly. Could hope for a typhoon on the 31st, and related free change of dates/cancellation, but thats no way to plan it ;-)
Old May 23, 2019, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by timesnaps
Hope there is no harm in chiming in here, otherwise happy to create a new thread, but rather similiar, so perhaps this helps others to find things in one place:

I have flown three of the four sectors of this booking. Booking class is 'I' (fare bucket: IAARRYD8). Have tried two times now to get hold of Cathay from mainland China, and waiting times are just nuts (in excess of 15 min). So it was faster to type this here, then try again. If anyone has any ideas what the change conditions are and how much I can expect to pay for change, cancellation or refund, please enlighten me. (plus change might not be possible, as I am unlikely to do this trip for a while, at lest not before the 12 months ticket validity)
Just out of curiosity, was Swiss much more expensive for that itinerary? They would have saved you a lot of time, and I don't find them to be any worse than CX.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
indeed. As far as I remember I can change it for about 1200CNY, but makes little sense, when I dont know when I might actually fly. Could hope for a typhoon on the 31st, and related free change of dates/cancellation, but thats no way to plan it ;-)
IAARRYD8 has a CNY1,000 change fee (1,200 for no show).
Cancellation you are likely to get nothing (1,250 refund fee)

Last edited by brunos; May 23, 2019 at 4:18 am
Old May 23, 2019, 4:14 am

IAARRYD8 has a CNY1,000 change fee (1,200 for no show).
Cancellation you are likely to get nothing.
damn, but thanks for the info. Is it possible to endorse the last sector to another passenger?
Old May 23, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Just out of curiosity, was Swiss much more expensive for that itinerary? They would have saved you a lot of time, and I don't find them to be any worse than CX.
Never checked on Swiss as I needed to pass through HK on the way out and back. Total was about 20000 CNY I seem to remember
Old May 23, 2019, 4:23 am

Never checked on Swiss as I needed to pass through HK on the way out and back. Total was about 20000 CNY I seem to remember
Ah, that makes sense. I also only connect in HK when I actually need to be there. Same day connections are too risky from PEK and SHA unless you build in a longer layover than you would prefer. 20k seems like a good price.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
damn, but thanks for the info. Is it possible to endorse the last sector to another passenger?
So you have a HKG-PEK left. You never used it but still manage to be in PEK now?
Anyway, it is impossible to endorse the ticket to anyone else.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:57 am

So you have a HKG-PEK left. You never used it but still manage to be in PEK now?
Anyway, it is impossible to endorse the ticket to anyone else.
Mmmmh.... thanks. Planned on a project in HK with a few weeks stopover, but plans changed and took the train back in the end, plus unlikely I need to head to HK next week.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:26 pm

Question no use...?

So I called them, and they tell me there is no refund whatsoever! nice! Any thoughts on whats possible, without totally wasting the leg? Can I reroute to another combination of cities? Like PEK-HKG instead of HKG-PEK? OR HKG-TPE (or any other city in Taiwan?)

They only willing to refund airport charges!

The conditions are as below"

* ITINERARY - BEIJING CX HONGKONG CX BARCELONA//ZURICH CX
HONGKONG KA BEIJING
* BOOKING CLASS - I - BUSINESS
* EX-PEK PERMITTED ON/BEFORE 30JUN 19
* VALIDITY - MAXIMUM 12MONTHS
* PEK/HKG VALID ON ANY CX/KA FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX/KA/KA
* HKG/BCN VALID ON ANY CX FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX
* ZRH/HKG VALID ON ANY CX FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX
* HKG/PEK VALID ON ANY CX/KA FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX/KA/KA
* WHENEVER REBOOKING BEFORE JOURNEY COMMENCE OR INVOLVE
INTERLINE, THE DIFFERENCE IN FARE AND FUEL SURCHARGE NEEDS TO BE
RECALCULATED
* REBOOKING FEE CNY 1000 (PLUS FARE/TAX DIFFERENCE IF ANY)
* REROUTING FEE CNY 1500 (PLUS FARE/TAX DIFFERENCE IF ANY)
* NOSHOW FEE CNY1500 APPLIES PER PERSON PER TRANSACTION
*CHANGES MUST BE MADE BEFORE ORIGINAL FLIGHT/DATE
*TICKET MUST BE REVALIDATED/REISSUED BEFORE THE TICKETED FLIGHT/
DATE/TIME OR ELSE NOSHOW FEE WILL APPLY
* REFUND CHARGE CNY1500 FOR TOTALLY UNUSED TICKET
* NON-REFUNDABLE FOR PARTIALLY USED TICKET
* REFUND APPLIED ONLY WHEN RESIDUAL IS AVAILABLE AFTER DEDUCTING
THE APPLICABLE FARE
* NONENDORSABLE NONREROUTABLE NONREFUNDABLE
* FOR DETAILS REGARDING REDEMPTION OR MILEAGE ACCRUAL
* PLEASE KINDLY VISIT WWW.ASIAMILES.COM FOR MORE DETAILS
Old May 29, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
So I called them, and they tell me there is no refund whatsoever! nice! Any thoughts on whats possible, without totally wasting the leg? Can I reroute to another combination of cities? Like PEK-HKG instead of HKG-PEK? OR HKG-TPE (or any other city in Taiwan?)

They only willing to refund airport charges!

The conditions are as below"

* ITINERARY - BEIJING CX HONGKONG CX BARCELONA//ZURICH CX
HONGKONG KA BEIJING
* BOOKING CLASS - I - BUSINESS
* EX-PEK PERMITTED ON/BEFORE 30JUN 19
* VALIDITY - MAXIMUM 12MONTHS
* PEK/HKG VALID ON ANY CX/KA FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX/KA/KA
* HKG/BCN VALID ON ANY CX FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX
* ZRH/HKG VALID ON ANY CX FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX
* HKG/PEK VALID ON ANY CX/KA FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX/KA/KA
* WHENEVER REBOOKING BEFORE JOURNEY COMMENCE OR INVOLVE
INTERLINE, THE DIFFERENCE IN FARE AND FUEL SURCHARGE NEEDS TO BE
RECALCULATED
* REBOOKING FEE CNY 1000 (PLUS FARE/TAX DIFFERENCE IF ANY)
* REROUTING FEE CNY 1500 (PLUS FARE/TAX DIFFERENCE IF ANY)
* NOSHOW FEE CNY1500 APPLIES PER PERSON PER TRANSACTION
*CHANGES MUST BE MADE BEFORE ORIGINAL FLIGHT/DATE
*TICKET MUST BE REVALIDATED/REISSUED BEFORE THE TICKETED FLIGHT/
DATE/TIME OR ELSE NOSHOW FEE WILL APPLY
* REFUND CHARGE CNY1500 FOR TOTALLY UNUSED TICKET
* NON-REFUNDABLE FOR PARTIALLY USED TICKET
* REFUND APPLIED ONLY WHEN RESIDUAL IS AVAILABLE AFTER DEDUCTING
THE APPLICABLE FARE
* NONENDORSABLE NONREROUTABLE NONREFUNDABLE
* FOR DETAILS REGARDING REDEMPTION OR MILEAGE ACCRUAL
* PLEASE KINDLY VISIT WWW.ASIAMILES.COM FOR MORE DETAILS
Did you read your (ticket) contract with the airline ? To help you, it says "NONREFUNDABLE",
which is English for "you will never get your money back".

In exchange for a low price, you gave away all the things you now want to make use of.

Many people seem to forget, a ticket is not only the price, also the conditions. If you do not like the conditions, get a ticket with better conditions (and for a -sometimes- significantly higher price).

Yep, you can get back to "taxes", though there will probably a handling fee for that, resulting in a low amount to get back. Happy claiming ......
Old May 29, 2019, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Cambo
Did you read your (ticket) contract with the airline ? To help you, it says "NONREFUNDABLE",
which is English for "you will never get your money back".

In exchange for a low price, you gave away all the things you now want to make use of...
Thanks for the lecture...! I do speak and read english, so yes, I understand the phrase "Nonrefundable". No need to add this to the discussion, as its really as useful as a chocolate teapot!

So, Cambo's lecture aside, does anyone have some creative advice on whats possible in terms of re-routing?
Old May 29, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Thanks for the lecture...! I do speak and read english, so yes, I understand the phrase "Nonrefundable". No need to add this to the discussion, as its really as useful as a chocolate teapot!

So, Cambo's lecture aside, does anyone have some creative advice on whats possible in terms of re-routing?
Not wanting to lecture you again, though do you know what means "NONREROUTABLE" ?

Let me explain to you: Not re-routable, so no possibilities to do a rerouting.
the_emerald likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:03 am

I didn't find Cambo's post to be especially condescending. Basically, he read the fare rules you posted in the context of your ideas, and concluded that they won't fly.

I didn't scrutinize the fare rules myself (because reading that stuff gives me a headache), but if the change fee is only Y1000, that's obviously a damn good price for business class HKG-PEK, and I'm guessing that you will want to fly that route within the next 6 or (less likely permitted) 12 months.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:53 am

I didn't find Cambo's post to be especially condescending. Basically, he read the fare rules you posted in the context of your ideas, and concluded that they won't fly.
... yes, already accepted that I cant get a refund, just added the info for the sake of giving some context. (So did'nt see it necessary to get a lecture)

I didn't scrutinize the fare rules myself (because reading that stuff gives me a headache), but if the change fee is only Y1000, that's obviously a damn good price for business class HKG-PEK, and I'm guessing that you will want to fly that route within the next 6 or (less likely permitted) 12 months.
Indeed, but its very unlikely I be doing this route before the expiry time of the ticket (in fact hoping to never set foot into that dumpster of Beijing airport ever again if I can avoid it). Since it states rerouting for 1500 CNY is possible, I thought I ask people in the know here if its possible to re-route.

UPDATE: it was in fact possible to reroute the last sector (despite what some have said here) although only to another destination in mainland China.

Last edited by timesnaps; May 31, 2019 at 12:40 am Reason: update

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.