FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club-487/)
-   -   Is 1 hour 35 minutes enough time between flights at Hong Kong (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1970274-1-hour-35-minutes-enough-time-between-flights-hong-kong.html)

katiesmum May 18, 19 12:40 pm

Is 1 hour 35 minutes enough time between flights at Hong Kong
 
Hi, we are considering booking flights with Cathay Pacific from Beijing to Hong Kong and then Cathy Dragon from Hong Kong to Da Nang. They are giving us 1 hour 35 minutes between flights, would this be enough time to get from one flight to the other not knowing what the airport at Hong Kong is like.

Thank you

The _Banking_Scot May 18, 19 1:00 pm


Originally Posted by katiesmum (Post 31114594)
Hi, we are considering booking flights with Cathay Pacific from Beijing to Hong Kong and then Cathy Dragon from Hong Kong to Da Nang. They are giving us 1 hour 35 minutes between flights, would this be enough time to get from one flight to the other not knowing what the airport at Hong Kong is like.

Thank you

Hi,

I assume this is all on one ticket?

If so then theoretically it is plenty of time .However there have been posts here regarding China-Hong Kong flights being delayed due to ATC restrictions ( not sure about recent performance) but if on one ticket and the PEK-HKG flight is delayed then CX would have to get you to Da Nang on the next available flight.

Hong Kong is an excellent airport to transit through ( there may be some distance to walk to the next gates though)

Regards

TBS

Unterwegs May 18, 19 1:21 pm

HKG is a great airport for connections. Even with some delay of the inbound you should be able to make it.
Bit check sites like flightradar24 how often and how long your inbound is delayed. This will give you a good idea if yo can make it. If you have around 40 min chances are good in my experience.

katiesmum May 18, 19 4:34 pm

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I think there are other flights out of Beijing about 30 mins and an hour earlier, maybe we should think about one of those just to be sure. There is only the one flight to Da Nang. I will have a look at flightradar24 tomorrow to see what it says.

Our other option is a flight that leaves similar time but with Vietnam Airlines and then changes in Hanoi (2 hours 30 mins) but we thought Cathay Pacific might just be a little better and the price is similar for business class with both airlines.

lixiaojuventus May 18, 19 6:27 pm


Originally Posted by katiesmum (Post 31115082)
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I think there are other flights out of Beijing about 30 mins and an hour earlier, maybe we should think about one of those just to be sure. There is only the one flight to Da Nang. I will have a look at flightradar24 tomorrow to see what it says.

Our other option is a flight that leaves similar time but with Vietnam Airlines and then changes in Hanoi (2 hours 30 mins) but we thought Cathay Pacific might just be a little better and the price is similar for business class with both airlines.

1h35m is plenty of time for a normal transfer in HKG. The main problem is with PEK. Recently on a couple of days I've seen long delays and also cancellations in PEK-HKG flights due to ATC/weather in Beijing. So in theory if one is really unlucky, a 3h connection may even lead to misconnections. With that said, there are many PEK-HKG flights. If the flight you are booked on is delayed, you can always ask CX/KA to move you to an earlier flight. In conclusion, if I were you, I would feel comfortable booking this 1h35m connection for PEK-HKG-DAD.

bhyq May 18, 19 7:20 pm

Go for KA937/905 the early morning ones are more reliable and give you the best opportunity for an on time arrival to make your connection.

brunos May 18, 19 10:46 pm

Remember that the KA DAD flight usually departs from the North Satellite (Dragon island), so it takes time to get there by bus. If you flight is delayed by 45 minutes, you will have problems (unless the new bridge opens). I assume that you are flying on days with the evening DAD flight. Might be risky.
Personally I would never risk it. I would rather take a PEK flight 1+ hour earlier.

kaka May 19, 19 1:23 am


Originally Posted by brunos (Post 31115761)
Remember that the KA DAD flight usually departs from the North Satellite (Dragon island), so it takes time to get there by bus. If you flight is delayed by 45 minutes, you will have problems (unless the new bridge opens). I assume that you are flying on days with the evening DAD flight. Might be risky.
Personally I would never risk it. I would rather take a PEK flight 1+ hour earlier.

even with the bus it would be fine. if one arrives into hk w a tight connection and is on a thru ticket, cx would have had arranged staff.

the biggest problem is, when peking has air related delays due to PLA tossup, your only connection of the day will be gone. (however, even with 2-3 hour connection the same can still happen)

that said, i would be comfortable making the same connection if you start from a different country.

moondog May 19, 19 1:45 am

If the origin wasn't in mainland China, I'd say go for it. The thing is, there's a 10% chance that PEK-HKG will arrive after HKG-Dad departs, and an additional 30% chance that it will get there within 30 minutes of departure. If you happen to catch a semi bad weather day, 9+ hour delays are not uncommon. Flying out an hour or two earlier won't help if you encounter such.

If I were you, I'd either plan on spending a night in HK, or go with the VN option. There are two reasons I like the VN option:

1. The PEK-NNG flight path is MUCH less congested than PEK-HKG
2. There are more flights HAN - Dad than HKG-DAD

As for KA v VN business class, imo it's a wash these days.

katiesmum May 19, 19 3:47 am

Wow thank you all so much, need to have a discussion with my daughter today as we were hoping to book all our flights today. I think we assumed as Cathay was a bigger airline then it would be better to fly with them also they arrived into Da Nang at a much better time than VN, but we don`t want to get stuck in HK for 24 hours. We are hoping to travel on the 144 hour visa free transit so would need to leave Beijing on the Tuesday, we are not travelling until August.

Are there any other airlines doing that route that anyone can recommend?

Thanks again everyone for your great advice, really appreciate it.

moondog May 19, 19 4:10 am

I've never flown VN, but my boss did 3 months ago, and told me he was quite impressed (a350).

If the fare is reasonable, I would book VN, simply because no other airlines have as many flights to DAD (well, actually not using the PEK-HKG flight path is also a BIG carrot).

What many people don't understand about PEK-HKG, is that tons of flights (not just China) clog it up. In fact, PEK-SGN uses it, but PEK-HAN does not.

katiesmum May 19, 19 5:13 am

Thanks moondog, thought I had replied but it seems to have disappeared. The VN flights are a B787 for the main flight then A321 for the shorter one. We never thought about the number of flights into HK. The fare is similar with both airlines. As mentioned it was the landing time in DA Nang that made us look at Cathay but since everyone's great advice think we will go back to looking at VN unless we find another carrier not routing through HK.

Aussienarelle May 19, 19 6:34 am

I flew VN last year and was impressed. However, my expectations were low.

clubeurope May 19, 19 2:47 pm


Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31116310)
I flew VN last year and was impressed. However, my expectations were low.

I think the latter says a lot :D

brunos May 20, 19 12:27 am

I think that you are overreacting.
VN can be a decent experience, but also a bad one., especially if irrops.
Unless there is a significant price difference, I would never prefer VN over KA.
If there are delays, it won't make a difference between VN and KA.

VN513 from PEK arrives at 6:30pm and connects to the last flight to DAD at 9pm, arriving really late at 10:20pm.
Remember that you will have to clear immigration and custom at HAN. It can be quite long depending on your visa situation. With VOA, lines can be quite long. Then you have to transfer to the domestic terminal. I am not sure but I think that you need to recheck your bags. Again, not sure. If your VN513 is well over an hour late, you might miss the connection (last month typical delay was 50min). Then you send the night in HAN.

If you book an earlier CX/KA flight to pad your transfer time in HKG, you will be fine. If all flight experience a delay from PEK, KA/CX will usually put you on an earlier flight that is delayed. VN cannot do that.
Also note that Wednesdays KA flight departs at 7:55am, so you won't spend 24h in HK.

The only reason I would choose VN is the 787 with longhaul busines class seats, much better than CX/KA regional seats, but that is not a long flight.
All other factors are in favor of CX/KA (earlier arrival, better handling of irrops, same price)
.

moondog May 20, 19 12:54 am


Originally Posted by brunos (Post 31118547)
I think that you are overreacting.
VN can be a decent experience, but also a bad one., especially if irrops.
Unless there is a significant price difference, I would never prefer VN over KA.
If there are delays, it won't make a difference between VN and KA.

VN513 from PEK arrives at 6:30pm and connects to the last flight to DAD at 9pm, arriving really late at 10:20pm.
Remember that you will have to clear immigration and custom at HAN. It can be quite long depending on your visa situation. With VOA, lines can be quite long. Then you have to transfer to the domestic terminal. I am not sure but I think that you need to recheck your bags. Again, not sure. If your VN513 is well over an hour late, you might miss the connection (last month typical delay was 50min). Then you send the night in HAN.

If you book an earlier CX/KA flight to pad your transfer time in HKG, you will be fine. If all flight experience a delay from PEK, KA/CX will usually put you on an earlier flight that is delayed. VN cannot do that.
Also note that Wednesdays KA flight departs at 7:55am, so you won't spend 24h in HK.

The only reason I would choose VN is the 787 with longhaul busines class seats, much better than CX/KA regional seats, but that is not a long flight.
All other factors are in favor of CX/KA (earlier arrival, better handling of irrops, same price)

I disagree with respect to the bolded point for reasons I stated upthread.

-if the weather is remotely bad, spacing on the PEK-HKG corridor is increased, and a lot of flights are forced to take delays, as a result
-while the same applies to the PEK-NNG corridor, there is MUCH less traffic on it, so most flights can get out close to on time, unless PEK itself is clogged

brunos May 20, 19 2:12 am


Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31118583)
I disagree with respect to the bolded point for reasons I stated upthread.

-if the weather is remotely bad, spacing on the PEK-HKG corridor is increased, and a lot of flights are forced to take delays, as a result
-while the same applies to the PEK-NNG corridor, there is MUCH less traffic on it, so most flights can get out close to on time, unless PEK itself is clogged

I won't argue with your expertise.
In the past year, delays have improved significantly. Maybe because PLA is conducting fewer or shorter or less wide exercises, or ATC has improved. These military closures are the main cause for extreme delays and probably affect both corridors, but you are the expert.
Anyway, If you look at the last month, VN had an average delay of 50min, while CX/KA average was around 30 min.

moondog May 20, 19 3:34 am


Originally Posted by brunos (Post 31118710)
I won't argue with your expertise.
In the past year, delays have improved significantly. Maybe because PLA is conducting fewer or shorter or less wide exercises, or ATC has improved. These military closures are the main cause for extreme delays and probably affect both corridors, but you are the expert.
Anyway, If you look at the last month, VN had an average delay of 50min, while CX/KA average was around 30 min.

I don't profess to be an expert. In fact, I don't even have easy access to the delay data. However, I have done the 9+ hour drill on PEK-HKG about 1 day per year, and it sucks.

I agree that the PLA exercises have calmed down quite a bit, but what hasn't changed is the size of the PEK-HKG corridor. PEK-SGN flights use it, while PEK-HAN flights do not.

kaka May 20, 19 7:09 am

consider transiting at icn

moondog May 20, 19 10:52 am


Originally Posted by kaka (Post 31119190)
consider transiting at icn

What flight would you transit to there?

clubeurope May 20, 19 1:08 pm


Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31119890)
What flight would you transit to there?

Korean or Asiana to ICN then again, Korean or Asiana (or alternatively Air Busan) to Da Nang

clubeurope May 20, 19 1:11 pm

I'm surprised the OP hasn't considered taking MU to DAD. I mean they're not the best, but it would be very convenient not to transit.

moondog May 20, 19 6:14 pm


Originally Posted by clubeurope (Post 31120346)
I'm surprised the OP hasn't considered taking MU to DAD. I mean they're not the best, but it would be very convenient not to transit.

For some reason, I had Phu Quoc in my head; Danang is a little easier to get to. I forgot about the MU flight. Good schedule (840p departure), though only 3x per week. If flying J, I'd probably go with VN via HAN because 787s are much nicer than 321s in biz. In Y, I'd try to make the MU flight work.

The ICN idea is somewhat compelling because PEK-ICN flights are relatively good with respect to punctuality. That having been said, ICN is two hours in the opposite direction.

brunos May 20, 19 9:18 pm


Originally Posted by clubeurope (Post 31120346)
I'm surprised the OP hasn't considered taking MU to DAD. I mean they're not the best, but it would be very convenient not to transit.

MU does not operate on tuesday. ANd its schedule is inconvenient as it arrives past midnight (12:20). Then you have to clear immigration and proceed to your hotel maybe in Hoi An.

moondog May 20, 19 9:25 pm


Originally Posted by brunos (Post 31121834)
MU does not operate on tuesday. ANd its schedule is inconvenient as it arrives past midnight (12:20). Then you have to clear immigration and proceed to your hotel maybe in Hoi An.

Many, if not most, of our Shanghai--SE Asia flights are short redeyes on 737s or 320s (i.e. not my style), so when I saw the 1220a arrival for PEK-DAD, I thought "not bad". Of course, the return flight is at 120a with a 630a arrival.

moondog May 20, 19 10:14 pm

FYI, here is the recent performance of VN 513 PEK-HAN from Flightaware.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a48f64b588.png

And, here is MU 5013 PEK-DAD
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bd0c99bccc.png
Both are pretty good by PEK standards, but the MU flight got in at an ungodly hour in 2 out of 5 data points.

kaka May 20, 19 10:27 pm


Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31119890)
What flight would you transit to there?

cx
this is a cx forum

moondog May 20, 19 10:50 pm


Originally Posted by kaka (Post 31121990)

cx
this is a cx forum

CX doesn't fly from ICN to DAD.

kaka May 21, 19 12:56 am


Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31122040)
CX doesn't fly from ICN to DAD.

2 routings
icn tpe hkg dad
icn hkg dad

moondog May 21, 19 1:36 am


Originally Posted by kaka (Post 31122272)

2 routings
icn tpe hkg dad
icn hkg dad

If the OP wants to fly CX/KA, there is no need for him to go to ICN (2 hours in the wrong direction) because they fly from PEK to HKG. While it's true that PEK-HKG is extremely prone to delays during the summer months (especially August), tacking on an extra 6 hours to stop in ICN makes zero sense. I could almost endorse the ICN idea if he flew KE or OZ, but VN via HAN seems like a clear winner in his case.

katiesmum May 25, 19 7:03 am

Hi, sorry not checked my posting for a few days as think we had decided to opt for the VN flights even though we did now want to arrive into Da Nang at 10.20 pm and knew it would be well after midnight when we got to Hoi An. I appreciate so much all the advice and information you have helped us with.

Cathay did have a few earlier flights from Beijing to HK we could consider but until I check not sure how many there were to Da Nang. The one we had looked at would arrive late afternoon and it would be a lot better option providing there were no flight problems at to and from HK. We would be travelling in August so not sure if the weather could cause delays. I`m going to check Cathay times again and see what else is available.

The prices of business class between Cathay and VN are very similar, please would anyone know how long approximately it would take in HK to get from one gate to the other the second flight is with Cathay Dragon.

Our holiday is: Manchester - Beijing with Emirates / Beijing - Da Nang with ?? (stay in Hoi An) / Da Nang to Chiang Mai with Air Asia / Chiang Mai to Bangkok with Thai?? and then we fly back to Manchester with Emirates. We don`t like to make our life easy!!

I`m very grateful, thank you

cxfan1960 May 25, 19 9:17 am

KA flight to DAD is on a small plane. It may depart from the North Satellite Concourse, which means (i) you get through transit security, (ii) get to the main concourse Gates 501-510 to board bus to the concourse, (iii) walk to the gate in the concourse. If I remember correctly, minimum connection time between CX/KA and CX/KA flights in HKG is 50 or 60 min. I suggest the two flights on the same itinerary. If you can check through to DAD from PEK on CX/KA with a valid MCT in HKG and the connection time is tight, CX usually has an agent escorting you through to the departure gate. However, having said that, I usually allow a few hours of connection in HKG anyway as PEK-HKG flights are quite prone to air traffic control delays especially in the afternoon.

katiesmum May 25, 19 9:54 am

Thank you cxfan1960 and again to everyone who has taken the time to help us.

I have just looked at flights from Beijing to HK with Cathay and there is one at 7.25 am with a 4hr 35 min connection or one at 8am (4 hours) or 9.30 am (2hr 35min) There is only one flight to Da Nang at 15.40. So thinking maybe the 8 am one and we can spend a bit of time sitting in the Cathay lounge, if there is one near to the Cathay Dragon terminal, had a look on the airport website but there seem to be quite a few lounges and its a little confusing as to where they all are.

This afternoon I have looked at every other flight combination and unless we want an overnight flight then these do seem to be the best option getting us to Da Nang at 16.40, which is a lot more reasonable than the VN flight.

cxfan1960 May 25, 19 10:13 am


Originally Posted by katiesmum (Post 31137540)
Thank you cxfan1960 and again to everyone who has taken the time to help us.

I have just looked at flights from Beijing to HK with Cathay and there is one at 7.25 am with a 4hr 35 min connection or one at 8am (4 hours) or 9.30 am (2hr 35min) There is only one flight to Da Nang at 15.40. So thinking maybe the 8 am one and we can spend a bit of time sitting in the Cathay lounge, if there is one near to the Cathay Dragon terminal, had a look on the airport website but there seem to be quite a few lounges and its a little confusing as to where they all are.

This afternoon I have looked at every other flight combination and unless we want an overnight flight then these do seem to be the best option getting us to Da Nang at 16.40, which is a lot more reasonable than the VN flight.

We don't know where you gate will be, but that should be a good plan. However, I don't think there is any lounge in the North Satellite Concourse. Just stay in a main terminal lounge until 50-60 min before departure. You need extra time to get to the departure gate if in the North Satellite Concourse.

By the way, you may also get request a re-entry stamp when you enter/exit lounge if you are not planning to spend a few hours in a lounge.

katiesmum May 25, 19 10:19 am

Thanks for the quick reply. sorry not sure what you mean by `request a re-entry stamp`

The _Banking_Scot May 25, 19 3:11 pm


Originally Posted by katiesmum (Post 31137601)
Thanks for the quick reply. sorry not sure what you mean by `request a re-entry stamp`

Hi,

When you first enter a lounge they may stamp your boarding pass with a 'reentry stamp' so that you can leave the lounge and when you reenter they do not have to scan the boarding pass again..


With several hours to kill and a number of very good lounges in HKG you can lounge hop quite easily if you want to ( and it is good exercise walking between the lounges)

Regards

TBS

katiesmum May 25, 19 4:22 pm

Sounds good, thank you

brunos May 25, 19 10:23 pm

Strange, I never got a reentry stamp on a J or F BP.

SuloL May 26, 19 12:43 am


Originally Posted by brunos (Post 31139008)
Strange, I never got a reentry stamp on a J or F BP.

IME, they've only ever stamped non-status/non-J/F companions' boarding passes.

The _Banking_Scot May 26, 19 3:23 am

Hi,

I have been stamped on most boarding passes when using the lounges passing through HKG ( OWE (BA) and J boarding passes) ( Pier/Wing F lounge . I always thought that was usual.

Regards


TBS


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:47 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.