Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is 1 hour 35 minutes enough time between flights at Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 1 hour 35 minutes enough time between flights at Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by brunos
I think that you are overreacting.
VN can be a decent experience, but also a bad one., especially if irrops.
Unless there is a significant price difference, I would never prefer VN over KA.
If there are delays, it won't make a difference between VN and KA.

VN513 from PEK arrives at 6:30pm and connects to the last flight to DAD at 9pm, arriving really late at 10:20pm.
Remember that you will have to clear immigration and custom at HAN. It can be quite long depending on your visa situation. With VOA, lines can be quite long. Then you have to transfer to the domestic terminal. I am not sure but I think that you need to recheck your bags. Again, not sure. If your VN513 is well over an hour late, you might miss the connection (last month typical delay was 50min). Then you send the night in HAN.

If you book an earlier CX/KA flight to pad your transfer time in HKG, you will be fine. If all flight experience a delay from PEK, KA/CX will usually put you on an earlier flight that is delayed. VN cannot do that.
Also note that Wednesdays KA flight departs at 7:55am, so you won't spend 24h in HK.

The only reason I would choose VN is the 787 with longhaul busines class seats, much better than CX/KA regional seats, but that is not a long flight.
All other factors are in favor of CX/KA (earlier arrival, better handling of irrops, same price)
I disagree with respect to the bolded point for reasons I stated upthread.

-if the weather is remotely bad, spacing on the PEK-HKG corridor is increased, and a lot of flights are forced to take delays, as a result
-while the same applies to the PEK-NNG corridor, there is MUCH less traffic on it, so most flights can get out close to on time, unless PEK itself is clogged
Unionruler likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
I disagree with respect to the bolded point for reasons I stated upthread.

-if the weather is remotely bad, spacing on the PEK-HKG corridor is increased, and a lot of flights are forced to take delays, as a result
-while the same applies to the PEK-NNG corridor, there is MUCH less traffic on it, so most flights can get out close to on time, unless PEK itself is clogged
I won't argue with your expertise.
In the past year, delays have improved significantly. Maybe because PLA is conducting fewer or shorter or less wide exercises, or ATC has improved. These military closures are the main cause for extreme delays and probably affect both corridors, but you are the expert.
Anyway, If you look at the last month, VN had an average delay of 50min, while CX/KA average was around 30 min.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:34 am

I won't argue with your expertise.
In the past year, delays have improved significantly. Maybe because PLA is conducting fewer or shorter or less wide exercises, or ATC has improved. These military closures are the main cause for extreme delays and probably affect both corridors, but you are the expert.
Anyway, If you look at the last month, VN had an average delay of 50min, while CX/KA average was around 30 min.
I don't profess to be an expert. In fact, I don't even have easy access to the delay data. However, I have done the 9+ hour drill on PEK-HKG about 1 day per year, and it sucks.

I agree that the PLA exercises have calmed down quite a bit, but what hasn't changed is the size of the PEK-HKG corridor. PEK-SGN flights use it, while PEK-HAN flights do not.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
consider transiting at icn
Old May 20, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by kaka
consider transiting at icn
What flight would you transit to there?
Old May 20, 2019, 12:08 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Korean or Asiana to ICN then again, Korean or Asiana (or alternatively Air Busan) to Da Nang
kaka and Unionruler like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:11 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I'm surprised the OP hasn't considered taking MU to DAD. I mean they're not the best, but it would be very convenient not to transit.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I'm surprised the OP hasn't considered taking MU to DAD. I mean they're not the best, but it would be very convenient not to transit.
For some reason, I had Phu Quoc in my head; Danang is a little easier to get to. I forgot about the MU flight. Good schedule (840p departure), though only 3x per week. If flying J, I'd probably go with VN via HAN because 787s are much nicer than 321s in biz. In Y, I'd try to make the MU flight work.

The ICN idea is somewhat compelling because PEK-ICN flights are relatively good with respect to punctuality. That having been said, ICN is two hours in the opposite direction.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by clubeurope
MU does not operate on tuesday. ANd its schedule is inconvenient as it arrives past midnight (12:20). Then you have to clear immigration and proceed to your hotel maybe in Hoi An.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:25 pm

MU does not operate on tuesday. ANd its schedule is inconvenient as it arrives past midnight (12:20). Then you have to clear immigration and proceed to your hotel maybe in Hoi An.
Many, if not most, of our Shanghai--SE Asia flights are short redeyes on 737s or 320s (i.e. not my style), so when I saw the 1220a arrival for PEK-DAD, I thought "not bad". Of course, the return flight is at 120a with a 630a arrival.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:14 pm

FYI, here is the recent performance of VN 513 PEK-HAN from Flightaware.

And, here is MU 5013 PEK-DAD

Both are pretty good by PEK standards, but the MU flight got in at an ungodly hour in 2 out of 5 data points.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:27 pm
Suspended

cx
this is a cx forum
tentseller likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:50 pm

cx
this is a cx forum
CX doesn't fly from ICN to DAD.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:56 pm
Suspended

CX doesn't fly from ICN to DAD.
2 routings
icn tpe hkg dad
icn hkg dad
Old May 21, 2019, 12:36 am

2 routings
icn tpe hkg dad
icn hkg dad
If the OP wants to fly CX/KA, there is no need for him to go to ICN (2 hours in the wrong direction) because they fly from PEK to HKG. While it's true that PEK-HKG is extremely prone to delays during the summer months (especially August), tacking on an extra 6 hours to stop in ICN makes zero sense. I could almost endorse the ICN idea if he flew KE or OZ, but VN via HAN seems like a clear winner in his case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.