Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

30k more Avios for Premium Economy, worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Hi, I am new to Cathay flight, thanks for everyone could help.

I'm looking the flight HKG-CDG next year and would like to book using BA avios before the hike the end of this month. Could anyone suggest if extra 30k Avios worth for 12 hours in Premium Economy? Biz is out of question as we are family of 4.

BTW, this is daytime flight.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
It depends on the opportunity cost (i.e. what would you otherwise do with that 30k/120k (if it's a family of four) Avios). I've been on the A350 (which is what I think operates the day HKG to CDG), and was op-up'ed to Premium Economy on one of the two flights.

Personally, I'd say it's not worth the 120k for 4. Premium Economy is very nice on CX, but it's simply a treat with some nice touches on the standard economy product/service (e.g. nicer menu choices, wider and comfier seat)

(OT towards BA Avios here) I wouldn't pay 120k Avios for 'a treat' such as, and would like save it. I'm not sure if you have the BA Amex cards, and if so: spend enough to warrant the 2 for 1s, but those combined with 120k Avios points could be a nice treat. Good redemptions on CX with British Airways (if you're HK based) would be 'short'-haul CX flights (within-asia), a good way to try their premium products.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:30 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I would pull the trigger if flying on a 10-abreast 77W, but not on the A350.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Off-topic, but what's the hike going to be like?
Old May 17, 2019, 1:55 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Off-topic, but what's the hike going to be like?
There are articles on the web, reporting an increase in partner redemptions by a few thousand avios depending on the distance

https://www.seat31b.com/2019/04/leak...s-award-chart/
Old May 17, 2019, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
go for it.

cx oftens sells py 2x of y anyways. if you contemplate redeeming for y, py would get you a similar realization of miles.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Question: Does CX release 4 PE redeem seats to BA per flight?
There are only 28 PE seats for A359 (op mention it is day flight so it must be A359)
Old May 18, 2019, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wyskevin
Question: Does CX release 4 PE redeem seats to BA per flight?
There are only 28 PE seats for A359 (op mention it is day flight so it must be A359)
yes
not sure if its for every single flight, but ive redeemed flights where more than 4 seats are available
Old May 18, 2019, 2:14 am

If you're flying round trip, then I would not redeem Avios for economy. Just pay cash, as points offer lousy value value per point after you factor in the taxes and fees on the award ticket.

I would consider paying up for Premium Economy on an award though. Unfortunately, BA overprices premium economy awards relative to the Asia Miles program, but there is nothing you can do about that now (unless you were planning to transfer Amex MR points into BA).

I would also look into what type of plane is on the route. If there is any risk you are stuck on a 10-across 777 in economy, I would do everything in my power to avoid economy UNLESS your kids are young and you can invade their personal space during the flight,
Old May 18, 2019, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Situation changed, I've booked one way Z from Europe to PVG with SAS, only need one way back from Asia for 3 of us. As the date was restrict and seats were limited, only choice I have is PVG-LHR in Y with 777 or HKG-CDG in PE with 350.

With same points, cash difference was only Ł500 for 3 of us. I think I will choose CX 359 for 12 hours flight.
kaka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.