Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Annoying rule in Tax/Surcharge Refund of OWMC Award

Annoying rule in Tax/Surcharge Refund of OWMC Award

Old May 20, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Annoying rule in Tax/Surcharge Refund of OWMC Award

Recently was hit by a new (?) rule on tax/surcharge refund of rebooking of OWMC award redemption. Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about the 6-8 refund lead time, which was well informed.

I have a 10 segments OWMC award redemption.
HKG-TPE//BKK-oHKG-oMAD-OPO//HKG-o(HND/NRT)-oHKG-xMAD-oSCL-xMAD-HKG

The first segment (HKG-TPE) had been flown. Around 8 weeks ago, I called to change the date of last two segments. No change of routing or carrier combination.

The agent informed because the ticket involved non-CX/KA (Hey! It's a OWMC award). The whole ticket would be re-issued and I would be charged the tax/surcharge again. Refund would be credited in 6-8 weeks as the routine procedure. I accepted.

Ticket was re-insured 2-days later, BUT with a catch. Although the new ticket was under the same PNR, it has only the last four segments (HKG-xMAD-oSCL-xMAD-HKG) and a new eTicket number. The eTicket also only showed the tax/surcharge of last four segments only. The agent said it's normal (in which I has doubt). He reassured my reservation of 9 unused segments was intact and part of the original charged tax/surcharge would be credited to me in 6-8 weeks.

Obviously, I didn't receive the promised refund. Upon successfully reached CX again, they have a new version of refund policy.

Tax/Surcharge refund of a i) partially-used ticket which ii) involve non-CX/KA, will only be processed after the whole ticket has been completely used. So it mean I literally need to wait for 10 months plus 6-8 weeks to have my double-charged refund. The agent cannot provide any rationale of this, she just repeated the two "reasons" like a robot. She said this rule is always here but she acknowledge there is no mentioning in any Asiamiles TnC available to members.

Obviously I didn't accept her explanation. She called me back in around 5 days. This time she gave another more ridiculous excuse. She said if their Finance department processes my tax/surcharge refund now. Some of the segments in my reservation which are operated by other carriers may be cancelled by them. I argued why JAL/IBE can cancel/change a 160- ticket, she can't answer.

Still waiting for their third call.

TLDR: CX will process the tax/surcharge refund of a rebooked and partial-used OWMC redemption ONLY AFTER the ticket was COMPLETED USED.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.