CX PY/PE for YVR-JFK?

Old May 13, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
CX PY/PE for YVR-JFK?

I'm thinking of redeeming some of my Avios for that flight to spend a couple of days in NYC. It's such a short flight that I'm not sure PY is worth it. I've flown that flight in Y before and I thought it was ok. Any comments on whether a PY redemption is worth it? What am I getting with PY compared to Y besides a more comfortable seat?
Old May 13, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
- F for Pyjamas + Krug + FFD in JFK if connecting
- J for Bed + Lounge for those without status
- Y for transport.

Depending on how much miles you have and the difference in seat pricing. I've found my last 3 trips in YVR-JFK to be half empty. HK travellers prefer the direct. Canada-US 5th freedom has a sales quota so CX can't really fill it to the brim, so Y is not likely to be cramped.

- 888 to JFK arrives as one of the first few, so immigration is not going to be a big issue. The early disembarking from F/J ain't going to be important.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfs24
- F for Pyjamas + Krug + FFD in JFK if connecting
- J for Bed + Lounge for those without status
- Y for transport.

Depending on how much miles you have and the difference in seat pricing. I've found my last 3 trips in YVR-JFK to be half empty. HK travellers prefer the direct. Canada-US 5th freedom has a sales quota so CX can't really fill it to the brim, so Y is not likely to be cramped.

- 888 to JFK arrives as one of the first few, so immigration is not going to be a big issue. The early disembarking from F/J ain't going to be important.
I'm confused. So what am I gaining with PY besides a better seat? RT is 50000 Avios + $162.67 in taxes. Y is 25000 Avios + $162.67 in taxes. Is PY worth double the Avios?
Old May 14, 2019, 4:01 am

In short, not worth it for YVR JFK journeys
perhaps worth it for YVR HKG journeys

the soft product is very similar to Economy
lsquare and craig44485 like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is PY worth double the Avios?
Not between YVR and JFK.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc
In short, not worth it for YVR JFK journeys
perhaps worth it for YVR HKG journeys

the soft product is very similar to Economy
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Not between YVR and JFK.
Thanks guys, but for this route, does PY customers get better food and amenities?
Old May 14, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks guys, but for this route, does PY customers get better food and amenities?
Slightly better food and a very basic amenity kit. Not worth double the Avios at all.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
I'm confused. So what am I gaining with PY besides a better seat? RT is 50000 Avios + $162.67 in taxes. Y is 25000 Avios + $162.67 in taxes. Is PY worth double the Avios?
Sorry completely missed the PE portion. Was just saying, that on this route, I'd do the above 3 options, each for a particular reason.

I echo the rest. PE does not get lounge access. PE food I found to be marginally better and the kit to be basic. While the PE seat is more comfortable for sleeping, it's not worth double the no. of miles.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
CX YVR-JFK PE AAMiles credit

how does one book this flight to get AA mileage credit? I’ve tried AA website it won’t pull up this flight.

If Im PLAT on AA can I buy coach and pick PE seats? Or use mileage to upgraade? How can I at least be in PE? Thx
Old May 21, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by JHIN
how does one book this flight to get AA mileage credit? I’ve tried AA website it won’t pull up this flight.

If Im PLAT on AA can I buy coach and pick PE seats? Or use mileage to upgraade? How can I at least be in PE? Thx
Buy an eligible fare (H or higher) and you can get aa credit. AA cannot sell you the codeshare for JFK-YVR only. If you buy coach, you can select seats from coach. If you want to guarantee to be at least in PE, you can either buy PE, J or F, or buy an eligible Econ fare and use Asiamiles to upgrade.
JHIN likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.