Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans for CX to serve PKX?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Any plans for CX to serve PKX?

This morning PKX (Beijing DaXing International Airport, ICAO code ZBAD) welcomed the first commercial aircraft from four Chinese carriers (B787 from Xiamen, A350 from China Eastern, A380 from China Southern, and B748 from Air China). As the opening date of PKX is drawing closer and closer, I am wondering about CX's plan for Beijing. Will CX just stay in PEK, or will CX consider serving PKX, too?
Old May 13, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
CX can operate at both (or either) if they decide to do so, though their public statements on the matter indicate they plan to stay at PEK. However, now that CA has been allocated 10% of the slots at PKX, things could change.

As as far as I know, CX doesn’t have a lot of transfer traffic in BJS (on CX plated tickets, anyway). Isn’t the majority O&D traffic? If so, what’s the benefit of them serving PKX? It’s not closer to the city, so it doesn’t seem like it’ll be a more convenient airport for O&D traffic.

It seems likely that OW carriers may largely operate from PEK PKX (AA definitely will) and there are rumors of an OW branded lounge opening at PKX. If enough OW carriers move to PKX, that could give CX a reason to serve the new airport.

Last edited by swingaling; May 14, 2019 at 8:36 am Reason: Typo
Old May 13, 2019, 5:52 pm

My speculation is that all / majority of the CX/KA will stay in PEK
1. Majority of the passengers are PEK O&D
2. JV with CA

After all, I think a small portion say 20% of the flights/slots to PKX would be good to grasp the market share of PKX as well.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by swingaling
CX can operate at both (or either) if they decide to do so, though their public statements on the matter indicate they plan to stay at PEK. However, now that CA has been allocated 10% of the slots at PKX, things could change.

As as far as I know, CX doesn’t have a lot of transfer traffic in BJS (on CX plated tickets, anyway). Isn’t the majority O&D traffic? If so, what’s the benefit of them serving PKX? It’s not closer to the city, so it doesn’t seem like it’ll be a more convenient airport for O&D traffic.

It seems likely that OW carriers may largely operate from PEK (AA definitely will) and there are rumors of an OW branded lounge opening at PKX. If enough OW carriers move to PKX, that could give CX a reason to serve the new airport.
Discussion here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...rt-thread.html

My understanding is that CX and KA are the only OW airlines staying at PEK, and that they will NOT split operations.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:00 am

Looks like PEK is significantly closer to downtown Beijing than PKX (37km to 58km), so PEK will basically become like HND and PKX becomes like NRT? Narita is a bit further at 75km so O&D pax would probably prefer PEK over PKX. Good call I guess. Hopefully they can upgrade the lounge.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by cx4ever
Looks like PEK is significantly closer to downtown Beijing than PKX (37km to 58km), so PEK will basically become like HND and PKX becomes like NRT? Narita is a bit further at 75km so O&D pax would probably prefer PEK over PKX. Good call I guess. Hopefully they can upgrade the lounge.
The train line to the new airport is HSR, whereas the current AEX is not. Plus the new airport is getting a dedicated highway. Let's wait and see which one is actually more convenient.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by cx4ever
Yes, distance wise PEK is significantly closer to downtown Beijing than PKX. However, rumor has it that PKX will be linked by a true `Airport Express' train (unlike the slow one serving PEK). With that said, during its first year of operation, the airport express train will only take you to "Cao Qiao" station, south of downtown Beijing, where you can transfer to Subway Line 10. It will be extended to Beijing CBD sometime between 2020-2021.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by swingaling

It seems likely that OW carriers may largely operate from PEK (AA definitely will) and there are rumors of an OW branded lounge opening at PKX. If enough OW carriers move to PKX, that could give CX a reason to serve the new airport.
I thought AA is going to move to PKX to facilitate connection to the new CZ partnership?
Old May 14, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shd9

I thought AA is going to move to PKX to facilitate connection to the new CZ partnership?
looks like peking will have some horrible connections
Old May 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by kaka

looks like peking will have some horrible connections
Unfortunately yes. With NRT/HND there is at least a direct train (well, through trains at certain times of the day), but for Beijing it is either getting stuck on the airport highway or a lot of transfers on the metro. However, since Beijing is more of an O/D destination, I can't see why wouldn't CX/KA allocate a few flights to PKX also to get some pax originating from the Southern part Beijing

Just found a link on AA requesting dormancy on its Chicago route, it appears that they do want to move to PKX.
https://americanairlines.gcs-web.com...nd-make-winter
We remain committed to China and anticipate that moving to the new Beijing airport in the future will improve the viability of the route through the additional connectivity in conjunction with our codeshare relationship with China Southern in the long run.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:34 am

Unfortunately yes. With NRT/HND there is at least a direct train (well, through trains at certain times of the day), but for Beijing it is either getting stuck on the airport highway or a lot of transfers on the metro. However, since Beijing is more of an O/D destination, I can't see why wouldn't CX/KA allocate a few flights to PKX also to get some pax originating from the Southern part Beijing

Just found a link on AA requesting dormancy on its Chicago route, it appears that they do want to move to PKX.
https://americanairlines.gcs-web.com...nd-make-winter
In Beijing, both airports will serve the same destinations, so there should almost never be any need to travel between the two airports.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Yes, distance wise PEK is significantly closer to downtown Beijing than PKX. However, rumor has it that PKX will be linked by a true `Airport Express' train (unlike the slow one serving PEK). With that said, during its first year of operation, the airport express train will only take you to "Cao Qiao" station, south of downtown Beijing, where you can transfer to Subway Line 10. It will be extended to Beijing CBD sometime between 2020-2021.
Can you provide any details on that? From what I've read, the New Airport subway line will terminate at Caoqiao initially, with a future northern extension to Lize Business District (connecting to 14 and 16), outside the second ring road. The initially planned extension to Mudanyuan appears to have been cancelled.

They are. I meant to type PKX.

Originally Posted by moondog
In Beijing, both airports will serve the same destinations, so there should almost never be any need to travel between the two airports.
In theory, sure. But there will be an intercity rail line (200 km/h) and a subway line connecting the two airports eventually.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:53 pm

A side question to ask,

If I am planning to go from HKG to OVB,
A transit in Beijing is recommended (daily flights from Beijing)

Will S7 use PEK or PKX?
If S7 use PKX, ground connection between PEK and PKX required?
Old May 14, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc
A side question to ask,

If I am planning to go from HKG to OVB,
A transit in Beijing is recommended (daily flights from Beijing)

Will S7 use PEK or PKX?
If S7 use PKX, ground connection between PEK and PKX required?
Presumably they'll remain at PEK unless they make an announcement to the contrary. Have you checked with S7 directly?

If S7 switches to PKX and you flying HKG-PEK on CX, then yes you'll have to switch airports.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Why does China make their airports so hard to reach by public transit?
PEK: horrible airport express train. Only benefit is it is cheap. Doesn't even connect to the subway very well.
PVG: take the subway (really really long time) vs maglev (which doesn't actually go to town).
CAN: subway for an hour or longer to downtown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.